General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Course Preview? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-08 1:12 PM

Subject: Course Preview?
I'm planning on doing the Iron Nugget in Burns, TN as my first tri. I noticed the posted information about a course preview/walk through. I assume I need to go but I have no idea what to expect or to bring/wear. What should I expect at this kind of thing?

2016-04-09 7:00 AM
in reply to: jimmieholland1

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Course Preview?
I'm not 100% on what you are asking, but I'll try to help. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in for you. At the few tri's I've been to I don't remember something being labeled as a walk through. The day before the race they normally had a clinic at the location with tips and info for newbies and also general course information. The way they went over the course for me was just on a big map so nothing special was needed. They pointed out things like where the swim start would be, where the swim exit exit was, where to enter transition, where to exit transition, and which direction to head when you exited. Bike drop off might be available if you are interested in that, but I just prefer to bring it the morning of if its an option. If you have the time to do stuff I would wear some extra tri shorts under gym shorts in case there is a chance to get out on the course and swim or ride the course with a group. If you know the area riding the course isn't necessary. Just do whatever training you have planned wherever you want. If you don't know the course I recommend at least driving it so you get slightly familiar with it. Still not necessary because things should be well marked.
2016-04-09 9:18 AM
in reply to: #5176193

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I've attended a few of these type of pre-race info sessions. Probably a good thing to attend if this is your first race, but most of the info is going to be standard race rules or nothing you couldn't figure out on the fly
2016-04-09 10:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

This one? Since this is your first, sounds like it could be helpful to go. Get some familiarity with what they expect you to do. Mainly just be ready to listen and ask questions. Could be sitting in a room. Could be standing outside in a small assembly gathering. Depends on what's available at the location. You don't have to swim. Don't think most people do, though some might. The walk through isn't riding or running. Just literally walking at most (hence the term), most times only talking & pointing.

You might need some form of ID and maybe a USAT card if that was required for this race. I didn't look close enough for that though they tend to say it's a USAT sanctioned race if it is. More notably in the registration process. Otherwise, just dress comfortably & casually and try to keep relaxed.

2016-04-19 3:19 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Course Preview? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA Whitewater Course Preview AND Transition Clinic

Started by SpeedyLizard
Views: 973 Posts: 5

2014-06-08 12:36 PM SpeedyLizard

IM Tremblant course preview

Started by imfitcoach
Views: 1737 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:46 AM GoFaster

IM Cozumel course preview

Started by ChrisM
Views: 871 Posts: 6

2009-08-30 8:02 PM ChrisM

American Zofingen - Bike Course Preview

Started by rollinbones
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2008-01-31 6:36 PM rollinbones

New Jersey State Triathlon course preview

Started by lredrow
Views: 647 Posts: 5

2007-12-03 8:37 AM gracetheterp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : July 9, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 3
What do you bring to the starting line? What are you going to leave on the course? What will you take with you across the finish line?
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.