BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-19 3:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by cdban66

Matt is indeed the final piece of the puzzle that Janyne, Kirsten, and Hands were so very close on. Matt, did you fly into the area on a small plane, landing at what was originally Rotonda West Airfield?

Rotonda West airfield, now Coral Creek Airport. Tiny airstrip on the Cape Haze peninsula with an inglorious past.

Or did you land at Punta Gorda airport across the harbor to get to Bokeelia?

I have, indeed, looked at that airport a number of times and have always wanted to fly there.  But, when we're fishing, we usually have the whole family plus a couple, so we stay down near/with family and friends around Ft. Meyers (and try to synch those up with spring training - Go Sox!) and drive up to Bokeelia.  Not the most fun way (nothing like flying in a small plane!), but easier to get all that gear and people aboard!

Matt

2016-05-19 9:42 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Denver, Colorado
So..... I'll be in Washington DC from August 6th (Saturday) to August 10th (Wednesday). I will have to attend a bunch of conferences and workshops from Sunday through Wednesday, but I'll have all day Saturday for myself and I would love if I could meet with some of you!
During the week is fine too, but that will have to be evening or early morning (if anyone runs in AM in that area). Can't wait!
2016-05-20 8:26 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Be careful with your OWS, Florida Manatees!

Nile crocodiles slither into South Florida

2016-05-20 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 So..... I'll be in Washington DC from August 6th (Saturday) to August 10th (Wednesday). I will have to attend a bunch of conferences and workshops from Sunday through Wednesday, but I'll have all day Saturday for myself and I would love if I could meet with some of you! During the week is fine too, but that will have to be evening or early morning (if anyone runs in AM in that area). Can't wait!

This is so cool!  I do hope that a meet up can be arranged.  I would love to hear about it.  I got as far as the I'll be in DC part and started to plot, then I saw the date and realized that I had an HIM that weekend.

2016-05-20 8:28 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 So..... I'll be in Washington DC from August 6th (Saturday) to August 10th (Wednesday). I will have to attend a bunch of conferences and workshops from Sunday through Wednesday, but I'll have all day Saturday for myself and I would love if I could meet with some of you! During the week is fine too, but that will have to be evening or early morning (if anyone runs in AM in that area). Can't wait!

(pouting) I have a hockey tournament that weekend and won't be able to make the drive to DC. 

2016-05-20 8:29 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by IronOx Okay I'll play. I guess Robin, Ann-Marie, TJ and Janyne. But I dunno which have been and which was only close.

3 outta 4! 

Substitute you (Chris) for TJ.

Womp, womp, womp. 3 outta 4 for you! I remain out of the selections available.

oh, then substitute Melanie for you. If that's wrong I'm out

Nice try, but I'm sorry. However, we do have a copy of our home game, just for playing!

People who have been to/near Englewod, Florida. 

Since Chris lives there, we aren't counting him.

I was there for the Gator Half a while back and gave Chris one of the prizes since it was to a local place.

Ann-Marie was there a few times -- at least to Venice -- for work and for Rev3 Florida.

Robin NC use to live there. Also for HITS Ocala but again (closer than Orlando maybe but not really in Sarasota or Englewood)

Now I'm lost.  Monica was in Florida not too long ago but I had the impression that she stuck to the Orlando area.

Salty was in FL for Ragnar Florida Keys but the Keys aren't near Englewood.

TJ was in FL for something to do with work but that was in the Keys.

Randee was in Florida for the Miami Half Marathon but Miami is not near Englewood.

holy crap how do you remember all that?!

2016-05-20 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Heard about this on the radio this morning. Glad I live in the desert!

2016-05-20 9:46 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

People are always releasing invasive species into the Florida ecosystem and the everglades (pythons, iguanas, komodo dragons) is a favorite release spot.  I guess the good news is they don't think they are breeding (yet), just that someone (or more than one) released "pets" and they grow faster than our rare and timid crocodile. But, if they don't get this under control, this good be bad!!

2016-05-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

People are always releasing invasive species into the Florida ecosystem and the everglades (pythons, iguanas, komodo dragons) is a favorite release spot.  I guess the good news is they don't think they are breeding (yet), just that someone (or more than one) released "pets" and they grow faster than our rare and timid crocodile. But, if they don't get this under control, this good be bad!!

Yep, we now have a yearly hunt challenge on pythons. Not so cool that we have an invasive species being hunted and turned in at triple digit numbers on a yearly basis.

2016-05-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Yep, we now have a yearly hunt challenge on pythons. Not so cool that we have an invasive species being hunted and turned in at triple digit numbers on a yearly basis.

holy crap that's scary!

I like the quote from the expert "they didn't swim here from Africa...."
2016-05-20 10:43 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

holy crap that's scary! I like the quote from the expert "they didn't swim here from Africa...."

I bet with consistent training they could do it

2016-05-20 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by marysia83

So..... I'll be in Washington DC from August 6th (Saturday) to August 10th (Wednesday). I will have to attend a bunch of conferences and workshops from Sunday through Wednesday, but I'll have all day Saturday for myself and I would love if I could meet with some of you!
During the week is fine too, but that will have to be evening or early morning (if anyone runs in AM in that area). Can't wait!

Too bad you're busy Sunday, otherwise we could do this: http://www.harborfestswim.com/
I will be around that weekend, would love to meet up!
2016-05-20 11:33 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

I am soooo badly procrastinating right now.  It's SRDP (review) time again, and I so greatly dislike doing them, even my boss hates them and the process.  But I really need to get it done for peace of mind and also because it's due before the end of May.  Ugh.  Just DOOOOO EEEEEETTT! ha ha ha (groan)

2016-05-20 11:39 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Melon Presser

GOOOO MANATEE RACERS!!!

I know Stace Face is racing this Sunday. I'm having my 7th or so 40th birthday party. I guess I'm treating my 40th kind of like my weddings (except no race birthday--I would have had a 40th bday party at Vietnam 70.3 but we had to can it).

2016-05-20 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

holy crap that's scary! I like the quote from the expert "they didn't swim here from Africa...."

yuck yuck

2016-05-20 12:23 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GOOOO MANATEE RACERS!!!

I know Stace Face is racing this Sunday. I'm having my 7th or so 40th birthday party. I guess I'm treating my 40th kind of like my weddings (except no race birthday--I would have had a 40th bday party at Vietnam 70.3 but we had to can it).

Go Stacey!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your party (again) Yanti

I am at an aid station for a local ultra on Saturday. Originally I was at the ski lodge station (which received a couple inches of snow earlier this week) but now I may be hiking up the trail 3 miles to a different AS

2016-05-20 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22
All, or at least Melanie, Robin NC and Janyne -Save the Manatee virtual 5k on Saturday
Melanie - Got the Nerve? Triathlon on Saturday
Lisa - Wine-O Trail Run 10k on Saturday
Stacey - Run for a Reason - 12k on Sunday
Tom S - Great Manchester Run on Sunday
Mary G - Spring Half Marathon in Chicago
Justin - TexasMan X-50 Triathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - under the weather

2016-05-20 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22
All, or at least Melanie, Robin NC and Janyne -Save the Manatee virtual 5k on Saturday

Disabled List

What an incredible list of racers and races!!!!!

Wine, and Manatees, and we KNOW Mel's got nerve!!!!!!!!

Have fun all.

Yanti, just. stop. it. But party on

2016-05-20 12:42 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

that's right. I'm always reminded you can do anything you put your mind to ;p
2016-05-20 12:43 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Good luck this weekend racers!
2016-05-20 1:00 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I need to vent. My neighbor stopped/trapped me on my run to complain about the condition of our road. He literally came blowing up in his full sized pick up, pulling a massive boat and stopper so I had to stop to tell me how bad the road was and that something needed to be done about it. Does he think I don't know the condition of the road? I drive on it several times a day and run on it several times a week. Perhaps he should stop driving down it at 90 mph, or last fall when we were repairing it, perhaps he could have gotten off of his dead A$$ and helped us. I know he was invited. Instead he has to ruin my run, so he could state the obvious, without offering help or a solution. He was messing with my time and interfering with my run. Okay, I feel better.

2016-05-20 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

Wow, nice long list of racing Manatees and nice short list on the DL!!  Go racers go!! Feel better Yanti.

2016-05-20 1:42 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 21-22

Disabled List

GOOOOOOOO MANATEES!!!  

Yanti dear, please get better soon and stay healthy, that's an order!

2016-05-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella I need to vent. My neighbor stopped/trapped me on my run to complain about the condition of our road. He literally came blowing up in his full sized pick up, pulling a massive boat and stopper so I had to stop to tell me how bad the road was and that something needed to be done about it. Does he think I don't know the condition of the road? I drive on it several times a day and run on it several times a week. Perhaps he should stop driving down it at 90 mph, or last fall when we were repairing it, perhaps he could have gotten off of his dead A$$ and helped us. I know he was invited. Instead he has to ruin my run, so he could state the obvious, without offering help or a solution. He was messing with my time and interfering with my run. Okay, I feel better.

Sadly, there always seems to be one of these guys.  Wants results but doesn't want to be part of the solution.

2016-05-20 1:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella I need to vent. My neighbor stopped/trapped me on my run to complain about the condition of our road. He literally came blowing up in his full sized pick up, pulling a massive boat and stopper so I had to stop to tell me how bad the road was and that something needed to be done about it. Does he think I don't know the condition of the road? I drive on it several times a day and run on it several times a week. Perhaps he should stop driving down it at 90 mph, or last fall when we were repairing it, perhaps he could have gotten off of his dead A$$ and helped us. I know he was invited. Instead he has to ruin my run, so he could state the obvious, without offering help or a solution. He was messing with my time and interfering with my run. Okay, I feel better.

Sadly, there always seems to be one of these guys.  Wants results but doesn't want to be part of the solution.

Aaaand they want to talk about it during our run/ride

His heavy truck and boat probably don't help road conditions.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.