General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Triathlon - Half Lite 50 Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Triathlon - Half Lite 50 Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
Piranha Sports
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 17m 30s
Overall Rank = 50/86
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

The night before I stayed in a hotel in Vineland which made my race morning drive 25 minutes instead of almost 2 hours. Woke up at 4:45 for coffee and bagel with PB breakfast. Was out of the hotel by 5:30. I needed to get to race site early because I was switching from the Sprint to the Half Lite. It was an easy switch with $30 additional payment and check in went very smoothly.

The weather was cold and pouring rain. Transition took a long time to set up because of my attempts to keep everything dry and in bags. Also I knew I would need to wear more than just a tri suit for the first time ever so I had a bag of extra dry clothes in transition, two long sleeve dry wick shirts, extra socks and gloves. Once transition closed I still had almost 45 minutes until my wave started so I went and sat in my car with the heat blasting. Once the waves started I walked over in full wetsuit, two swim caps, socks and flip flops.
Event warmup:

Jumping up and down to try to stay warm.
Swim
  • 24m 15s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went fine. Dug my feet into the muck on the bottom of the lake to keep my feet from freezing while waiting for start. It was gross but worked really well. I had trouble finding anyone to draft of off.

Overall the swim was a calm one. The start was not too crazy.
What would you do differently?:

I would like to try to draft more but just didn't have many opportunities this time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

These were my longest transitions ever, but still fast overall compared to the rest of the field. (32/86). I had to put on long sleeves and gloves for the bike if I didn't want to die of hypothermia so had to take that time to dry to get dressed while soaking wet. It was not easy! But we all obviously had the same issues.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 20m 7s
  • 40.3 miles
  • 17.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Pouring rain the entire course! Tried not to freeze and not to quit. Thought about quitting every few minutes but reminded myself how much more of a badass I would be if I didn't quit:) Once I hit the turn around it was now or never to give up, but I kept going, onto that 2nd loop even though I couldn't feel most of my body. I did not check my watch or pace the whole second lap. I didn't care anymore. All I wanted to do was finish. I had trouble sticking with my nutrition plan because I just didn't want to move out of aero position! I only had one gel instead of two, but was still able to stay hydrated pretty well. I also had some issues with my brakes not working well. I just had to break early and was fine enough. Luckily the course had very few turns.

Maybe buy a water proof jacket the day before the race. I did buy the gloves which I think kept me from having to have any fingers amputated, but my attire could have been better. I am sure no one was warm and dry though!
Transition 2
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

Again a slow transition filled with not being able to feel fingers and toes. I was grateful for a fresh pair of socks to change into though!

Nothing. Just had to get through it and I did.
Run
  • 1h 25m 26s
  • 8.8 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great run for me! I run much better in the cold so this was by far my best longer distance tri run. When I first started out I didnt know what to expect but my body was so excited to get some blood pumping and warm up that I stayed under a ten minute pace the entire run. At this time too I also saw that A LOT of people had dropped out. The run was lonely at points but everyone was really supportive of each other because we knew what hell we were going through! For most of the run it was only a light rain. The skies opened up again around mile 7.

Not sure. It was a good run for me. I had one gel around mile 3 and that seemed to be enough. Alternated water and gatorade at each aid station. Volunteers were awesome btw, especially this group of really loud teenagers at the run turnaround.
Post race
Warm down:

LOL warm down? It was much more trying to WARM UP! I got out of my wet clothes in the car as quickly as I could and put on a poncho. Then went over for awards and then eventually to throw everything from transition into a garbage bag. Everything was soaked of course!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather. That's it!

Event comments:

First time ever doing a Piranha Sports race. They put on a great race especially under these weather conditions! I hope to do this race again next year in better weather!!

Last updated: 2016-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:15 | 1408 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 28/86
Performance: Good
My actual pace was 1:48/100 yd. There was a long run to transition which race results included as the swim but I ended my swim on my watch at swim exit to get a more accurate time and pace.
Suit: full sleeve
Course: Counter clockwise square course, two laps.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:20:07 | 40.3 miles | 17.26 mile/hr
Overall: 58/86
Performance: Below average
two loops
Wind: Strong
Course: Headwind, tailwind and cross wind! Pouring rain the entire course! Tried not to freeze and not to quit. Thought about quitting every few minutes but reminded myself how much more of a badass I would be if I didnt quit:) Once I hit the turn around it was now or never to give up, but I kept going, onto that 2nd loop eventhough I couldnt feel most of my body. I did not
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:25:26 | 08.8 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 67/86
Performance: Good
Course: One flat lap.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-02 12:04 PM

User image

Subject: New Jersey Devilman Triathlon - Half Lite 50 Course

2016-05-03 8:08 AM
in reply to: #5179904

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Triathlon - Half Lite 50 Course
Awesome job. I did the Half Lite 50 too and words can't do justice to the misery of the swim, transitions and bike that you endured.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Triathlon - Half Lite 50 Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Jersey Devilman Triathlon - Half Lite 50 Course

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 950 Posts: 6

2013-05-08 8:22 PM kcarroll

Started by 03djmorris
Views: 1402 Posts: 6

2012-05-08 10:35 AM 03djmorris

Started by vbellino
Views: 1236 Posts: 4

2012-05-07 7:03 PM kristinc0916

Started by kristinc0916
Views: 1510 Posts: 7

2012-05-06 4:51 PM QueenZipp

Started by jokach
Views: 917 Posts: 2

2012-05-06 3:24 PM kristinc0916
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!