General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine 70.3 - Hydration / Fueling Strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-13 10:05 AM

Subject: Racine 70.3 - Hydration / Fueling Strategy
Taking into consideration the heat, humidity, etc. of Racine into acct. would anyone be able to provide some guidance on a hydration / fueling strategy? Thank you all in advance for your input.

2016-06-13 2:27 PM
in reply to: Roundegg812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Racine 70.3 - Hydration / Fueling Strategy
I hate to say but it all depends on you. For Me when its hot I sweat a lot I need to drink 5-6 bottles of water during the bike 2 of them with a nuun table dropped in and during the run drinkl about 8 oz every mile. Nutrition wise I take a gell every 10 miles on the bike and every 4 on the run or 2 for the run.

Racine can be tricky because it can be very hot. I raced there 3 years in a row where it was in the 90's. I would say you have a good chance for good weather because I will not be there.

Good Luck have fun it will hurt
2016-06-13 2:52 PM
in reply to: Roundegg812

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I'm trying to work through the same thing for Door County as it's been in the 90s the last couple of years. I raced Capitol View yesterday (Madison) just to see how I would react to the heat/humidity. Of course Saturday would have been a good test because it was mid 90s and high humidity. Bu the race was Sunday which was in the high 50's to low 60s with storms a' brewing. So it ended up not being such a good test.
As was said above, this is a very personalized thing with how your body reacts to heat and hydration. I'm a big believer in real food (ie NOT gels, etc) but I do like NUUN in one of my bottles. I rode 60 mi last weekend in very similar conditions and went through 4 big bottles, 2 with NUUN. Probably should have had more.
My hope is to be very well hydrated coming off the bike so I don't have to drink a lot on the run. My belly doesn't like drinking whilst running.
I know that wasn't too helpful, but that's my plan. Have a great day!
2016-06-13 8:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm planning to do this race. Well...if my stupid shin splints would ever heal...

I did it 2 years ago and it was mid 80's, so it wasn't bad. For the bike I try to down a bottle of whatever sports drink they have every hour. I also try to have a water bottle in my 2nd slot because if I'm really sweating since I need a little water to stay hydrated on hot days. I also have a Gu every 45-60 minutes on the bike. On the run I start with water and then alternate between Gatorade and water. I also down a Gu every 45 minutes or so, depending on how my stomach is behaving. For Racine, I did the entire run on Gatoraid alone since my stomach didn't want anything for that race. I was battling cramps and I knew if I ate, it would make it worst.

It all depends on you and the race though. At Vineman (full IM), it was 80 or so but I was downing water + Gatoraid at every aid station. I started to get light headed and I think it was because I was drinking way too much so I skipped a few aid stations and felt better after that and then just monitored my intake. For a 1/2, it's hard to over drink but it's possible. Be mindful of the heat but also be mindful that you can over drink.

Edited by Blastman 2016-06-13 8:07 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine 70.3 - Hydration / Fueling Strategy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

In race fueling strategies

Started by RiverRat50
Views: 891 Posts: 7

2010-09-05 1:11 PM TriAya

Bottle exchange and bike fueling strategy

Started by Beej
Views: 1359 Posts: 5

2010-06-10 11:40 AM Kevin_MS

My IM fueling strategy: what do you think?

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1403 Posts: 11

2008-08-23 11:53 PM Plissken74

Ironman fueling strategy calculation

Started by Plissken74
Views: 2468 Posts: 20

2008-07-21 6:56 PM BigPimp

Food & Hydration Strategy Help Needed! - Olympic

Started by Eightman
Views: 1086 Posts: 6

2004-04-05 7:57 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Performance starts with fueling, not training! This article provides nutrition tips for ultra-endurance athletes as well as ordinary exercisers who want ultra-energy.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : April 3, 2005
author : dara
Planing a successful nutrition strategy of fueling for your first Ironman triathlon.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.