General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP/speed correlation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-20 10:30 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: FTP/speed correlation
I'm curious how other triathlete's FTP correlates with their actual speeds. Would anyone be willing to share their FTP(and method of testing), and their typical speeds in races? I know that speed varies a lot based on other factors but just a range would be good. I would just like to know how mine compares to others to see if I need to make any changes. Here's mine:
FTP(8 min trainerroad test)- 272
Typical racing speed- 22-23 mph for sprint tris

2016-06-20 10:41 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: FTP/speed correlation

A range would be useless without many other factors taken into consideration.

Try this link to give yourself an idea of the impact of different variables involved.

2016-06-20 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mchadcota2 I'm curious how other triathlete's FTP correlates with their actual speeds. Would anyone be willing to share their FTP(and method of testing), and their typical speeds in races? I know that speed varies a lot based on other factors but just a range would be good. I would just like to know how mine compares to others to see if I need to make any changes. Here's mine: FTP(8 min trainerroad test)- 272 Typical racing speed- 22-23 mph for sprint tris

How big are you?  I'd be averaging 25-26 mph regularly if I had an FTP of 272.

2016-06-20 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5187725

nashville, Tennessee
I am 5' 11 160 lbs
2016-06-20 11:06 AM
in reply to: #5187736

nashville, Tennessee
I know that the 8 min test is probably not the most reliable. Because although that's what the test shows, I can tell you there's no way I could hold 272 watts for an hour on the trainer.
2016-06-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: #5187739

nashville, Tennessee
A range would be very helpful. Most of the triathletes I know are pretty consistent with their performances. I'm just wondering if I'm way off compared to others. Like msteiner said, and he may exaggerating, but if someone has an FTP of 272 and regularly rides 24-25 mph for a sprint distance, then there's something I need to correct.

2016-06-20 11:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
I keep track and graph my power vs speed for all my outdoor training rides. Terrain obviously has a lot to do with it. All my rides and races are relatively flat and windy. You mention FTP vs race speed, but not power vs speed, which would make more sense. However if we're talking sprints, then you should be close to your FTP so in that case they'd be one and the same. My highest watts outdoors was 243 where I averaged 24.9 mph. So at 272, I'd be a bit higher. I weigh 158. You also may want to check out this thread on speed vs watts and what that says about how aero you are (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540156&page=1#)

Originally posted by mchadcota2

A range would be very helpful. Most of the triathletes I know are pretty consistent with their performances. I'm just wondering if I'm way off compared to others. Like msteiner said, and he may exaggerating, but if someone has an FTP of 272 and regularly rides 24-25 mph for a sprint distance, then there's something I need to correct.

I'd say that someone that is your weight should be in the 24-25 mph range on the bike on a relatively flat course. However, don't forget that triathlon is three sports, so your proficiency in the other two plays a big role in your pacing.

ETA: I guess I didn't answer your other question: my FTP based on a 20 minute test is 242.

Edited by 3mar 2016-06-20 11:19 AM

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (88KB - 4 downloads)
2016-06-20 11:42 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

my ftp is about 280 and I average around 25-26 mph in sprints.

2016-06-20 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I only use virtual power with trainer training and Critical Power metric via 20' and 5' tests.  Before race testing CP is usually in the range of 240w to 255w. I've done 15.4 and 15.9 mile local sprint races in the mid 22 to low 23mph range with solid run pacing. I'm 5'10" and usually mid to upper 170 lbs for races.

2016-06-20 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by mchadcota2 A range would be very helpful. Most of the triathletes I know are pretty consistent with their performances. I'm just wondering if I'm way off compared to others. Like msteiner said, and he may exaggerating, but if someone has an FTP of 272 and regularly rides 24-25 mph for a sprint distance, then there's something I need to correct.
Do you have an actual PM or using virtual power (VP) with TR?  is your trainer a simple fluid type, mag, or smart controllable type?  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TR 8' test a dual 8' interval test and FTP is 90% of the average of the two? 

2016-06-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: Donto

Master
, California

This gets into aero optimization, which is something you can work on with a power meter.  With your build and power, there is probably some low hanging fruit.  But I'd like to see what power you end up with on an outdoor 40k time trial.  The really short FTP tests are not that useful in my experience.

2016-06-20 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by 3mar I keep track and graph my power vs speed for all my outdoor training rides. Terrain obviously has a lot to do with it. All my rides and races are relatively flat and windy. You mention FTP vs race speed, but not power vs speed, which would make more sense. However if we're talking sprints, then you should be close to your FTP so in that case they'd be one and the same. My highest watts outdoors was 243 where I averaged 24.9 mph. So at 272, I'd be a bit higher. I weigh 158. You also may want to check out this thread on speed vs watts and what that says about how aero you are (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540156&page=1#)
Originally posted by mchadcota2 A range would be very helpful. Most of the triathletes I know are pretty consistent with their performances. I'm just wondering if I'm way off compared to others. Like msteiner said, and he may exaggerating, but if someone has an FTP of 272 and regularly rides 24-25 mph for a sprint distance, then there's something I need to correct.
I'd say that someone that is your weight should be in the 24-25 mph range on the bike on a relatively flat course. However, don't forget that triathlon is three sports, so your proficiency in the other two plays a big role in your pacing. ETA: I guess I didn't answer your other question: my FTP based on a 20 minute test is 242.

speed vs power isn't a linear correlation.  not sure your trend line is very useful in your image

2016-06-20 12:46 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If there's no way you can hold 272w for an hour, then your FTP is not 272.  It's lower.

But another problem with your question is that even if you were able to control for all the different protocols people will give you when they say "My FTP is x", they are not going to be measuring their watts with the same device (or even at the same point--eg, at the hub or at the bottom bracket) which will add additional variation.  For most people, when they say "my FTP is x", it's safe to say their FTP is x +/-5% (and that's probably too generous for the margin of error).

The basic answer for you is that your speed seems slow assuming you are riding on a windless, flat course and your power is anywhere close to 270.  You would have major opportunity to make gains with position and equipment changes.  But throw in some wind a few risers and it's not clear you are terribly far out of bounds--especially if you trim back your estimated power somewhat, as well.

2016-06-20 12:48 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by 3mar I keep track and graph my power vs speed for all my outdoor training rides. Terrain obviously has a lot to do with it. All my rides and races are relatively flat and windy. You mention FTP vs race speed, but not power vs speed, which would make more sense. However if we're talking sprints, then you should be close to your FTP so in that case they'd be one and the same. My highest watts outdoors was 243 where I averaged 24.9 mph. So at 272, I'd be a bit higher. I weigh 158. You also may want to check out this thread on speed vs watts and what that says about how aero you are (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=540156&page=1#)
I'd say that someone that is your weight should be in the 24-25 mph range on the bike on a relatively flat course. However, don't forget that triathlon is three sports, so your proficiency in the other two plays a big role in your pacing. ETA: I guess I didn't answer your other question: my FTP based on a 20 minute test is 242.

speed vs power isn't a linear correlation.  not sure your trend line is very useful in your image

I know, but my data is linear. It's likely that there just isn't enough of a spread to see a curve. Point being that non linear data sets can be analyzed linearly for short enough segments. Think Simpsons method for integration. I mean, look at the data. Theoretically yeah, it should be a curve, but you know the difference between theory and practice right? In theory they're the same, in practice they're not

Edited by 3mar 2016-06-20 12:57 PM
2016-06-20 12:57 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by 3mar

I know, but my data is linear. It's likely that there just isn't enough of a spread to see a curve. Point being that non linear data sets can be analyses linearly for short enough segments. Think Simpsons method for integration. I mean, look at the data. Theoretically yeah, it should be a curve, but you know the difference between theory and practice right? In theory they're the same, in practice they're not

It's linear because it's a bad data set. The variables weren't all the same for all of those data points. You were all areo'd out for most of the fast data points, right? You ought to have different color dots for different setups on the bike. That will even help you see how much you're gaining from different aero optimizations. (happy to help you geek out even more )

Edited by Jet Black 2016-06-20 12:58 PM
2016-06-20 12:58 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by 3mar

I know, but my data is linear. It's likely that there just isn't enough of a spread to see a curve. Point being that non linear data sets can be analyses linearly for short enough segments. Think Simpsons method for integration. I mean, look at the data. Theoretically yeah, it should be a curve, but you know the difference between theory and practice right? In theory they're the same, in practice they're not

I think you just need more data points, particularly in the middle of that graph.  I'd expect your speed in the ~200-220 watt range to be a bit higher, in which case we would see the expected curve.

Edited by spudone 2016-06-20 12:59 PM

2016-06-20 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

3Mar is right.  Can't argue with the data!

2016-06-20 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm curious how other triathlete's FTP correlates with their actual speeds. Would anyone be willing to share their FTP(and method of testing), and their typical speeds in races? I know that speed varies a lot based on other factors but just a range would be good. I would just like to know how mine compares to others to see if I need to make any changes. Here's mine:
FTP(8 min trainerroad test)- 272
Typical racing speed- 22-23 mph for sprint tris

Nicole just did a RR on Texas TT champs

Her FTP measured through 20 and 5min test, correlated with key workouts was about 191

She just did 188watts for 24mph for 1 hour and 2min (in difficult temperature conditions)

Edited by marcag 2016-06-20 1:33 PM
2016-06-20 1:52 PM

User image

FTP of 285.  Tested during a 40k TT, which translated to 25.6 mph.  Flat out and back, windy, average road surface most of the way, poor road surface in a couple of sections.  I would probably consider myself very "average" when it comes to aerodynamics overall.  I have most of the equipment dialed in, but my position kind of sucks.

2016-06-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

nashville, Tennessee
I have a wahoo kickr smart trainer and yes the 8 minute test is two 8 min all out with 10 min recovery between the two efforts. Then they take 90%. Maybe part of the problem is when I do my FTP tests, I spend most of it in the upright position because I feel I can push harder. Also I do most of my hard intervals in the upright position. But when outside I'm all aero. I have decided I'm going to start forcing myself to stay aero in training. Maybe I've been totally counterproductive by not staying aero in training. Based on what yall are saying, I'm not doing something right. I feel like I'm pretty aero when I'm riding outside.
2016-06-20 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a wahoo kickr smart trainer and yes the 8 minute test is two 8 min all out with 10 min recovery between the two efforts. Then they take 90%. Maybe part of the problem is when I do my FTP tests, I spend most of it in the upright position because I feel I can push harder. Also I do most of my hard intervals in the upright position. But when outside I'm all aero. I have decided I'm going to start forcing myself to stay aero in training. Maybe I've been totally counterproductive by not staying aero in training. Based on what yall are saying, I'm not doing something right. I feel like I'm pretty aero when I'm riding outside.

here is the problem

you do your FTP test on a Kickr, correct ? Some people report high numbers on the kickr (some don't). The kickr I worked with read high. That n=1
you do your FTP test sitting up, correct ? Some people test 10-15w higher when sitting up. I asumme you race in aero
you do a protocol that will have a tendency to overestimate for some people.

I suspect you are not managing 95% of 272 in your sprints or else you are a parachute

So that 272, with another PM, outdoor, for a full hour in aero may be 240, or 220 or 290. There are just too many variables

Edited by marcag 2016-06-20 2:22 PM

2016-06-20 2:37 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas
That's kind of the point though. The data will never be perfect. It is what it is. When I look at it, I see it like this, with the shaded area being range of error, because that's all you'll ever get. In the range of error you get for outdoor rides, which is what we're trying to correlate to, you'll never see a curve, so why bother? It's exactly what happens when us engineers try to out engineer ourselves. A line is fine. Anything else would be outplaying the data and variables with outdoor rides. Perhaps I should have done that in the first place. The data can't be perfect, because it can't apply everywhere. For what I use it for, this is more than accurate enough. Also, I use it for interpolation rather than extrapolation and only use that anecdotally.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (90KB - 3 downloads)
2016-06-20 2:39 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Katy, Texas
That's an example of correlation vs causation. Not quite the same thing.
2016-06-20 3:00 PM

Master
, California

That's kind of the point though. The data will never be perfect. It is what it is. When I look at it, I see it like this, with the shaded area being range of error, because that's all you'll ever get. In the range of error you get for outdoor rides, which is what we're trying to correlate to, you'll never see a curve, so why bother?

Why bother?  Well, I'd say it's because physics defines what kind of drag you see as velocity increases.  So if your personal data is not corresponding to that, then it's likely that a) you don't have enough data points (which you mentioned already), and maybe b) you ride a little differently at different power output levels and ride lengths, affecting your aerodynamics.

It's also near impossible to control for everything that affects those numbers if you're doing different routes, weather, wind, etc.  The link to the analytical cycling site makes that very apparent.

2016-06-20 3:03 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by spudone

That's kind of the point though. The data will never be perfect. It is what it is. When I look at it, I see it like this, with the shaded area being range of error, because that's all you'll ever get. In the range of error you get for outdoor rides, which is what we're trying to correlate to, you'll never see a curve, so why bother?

Why bother?  Well, I'd say it's because physics defines what kind of drag you see as velocity increases.  So if your personal data is not corresponding to that, then it's likely that a) you don't have enough data points (which you mentioned already), and maybe b) you ride a little differently at different power output levels and ride lengths, affecting your aerodynamics.

It's also near impossible to control for everything that affects those numbers if you're doing different routes, weather, wind, etc.  The link to the analytical cycling site makes that very apparent.

I'm saying that the curve will fit within the range of error. That's why you don't bother. It's like writing out 10 decimal places for a calculation that only has significant figures to one decimal place. Go ahead and write as many as you want, they don't mean anything.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP/speed correlation Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

body weight & bike performance correlation Pages: 1 2 3

Started by duder5189
Views: 4072 Posts: 60

2012-06-15 11:54 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Recovery from illness vs training stress - Any correlation

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 641 Posts: 3

2012-04-10 10:34 PM rdrbme

Wow! Correlation Bike Time : Run Time

Started by Gerrard
Views: 1456 Posts: 16

2009-01-24 12:20 AM dobovedo

Correlation of cold weather running speed to warm weather running speed?

Started by matt3liv
Views: 3185 Posts: 18

2008-12-21 1:09 PM TriMyBest

12 Speed VS 16 Speed, or Whatever

Started by fromer
Views: 1410 Posts: 7

2004-06-25 12:26 AM fromer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.