BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-10-26 1:16 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by abake Manatees -- I know this has been discussed before, probably numerous times, but can we chat about nutrition? What is your go-to for races, training, etc.? For IMFL, I relied on Infinit. Worked great in training, not so good on race day. I've been using Skratch for hydration combined with real food for long bike rides. This works great but it's a little cumbersome preparing and storing the food. And that system definitely won't work for a longer course triathlon. I ordered some samples of Tailwind to try out. It has no protein, so maybe that will set better than the Infinit. Has anyone tried this? What about UCAN? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! Anne

I've not raced a 140.6, only gone 70.3, so my nutrition needs were different than yours.  But, at one point I played around with Infinit and as I recall, you can change around the formula as needed.  Can you still do that? If so, maybe drop the protein down a bit on your formula?

Other than that, I'll let Janyne and other long coursers chime in!

I use EFS-LS + Clif Shot Bloks on the bike.  Not too exciting but it's been working.  For a full IM, I use three of each.

Cliff Shot bloks seem like a viable option. I'm definitely intrigued by the IFS-LS, have not seen that product before.

My local tri store carries it which makes the EFS-LS a viable option.  I mean, I don't know if I'd have had it shipped to me just to try it.  I add half of a small bottle (one serving) in my water and have a shot blok every 20 minutes.  At the beginning of the season, I buy a few of the 5 oz bottles and then get the refill cannister after that.  In races, I toss the small bottles when I'm done with them.

2016-10-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by abake Manatees -- I know this has been discussed before, probably numerous times, but can we chat about nutrition? What is your go-to for races, training, etc.? For IMFL, I relied on Infinit. Worked great in training, not so good on race day. I've been using Skratch for hydration combined with real food for long bike rides. This works great but it's a little cumbersome preparing and storing the food. And that system definitely won't work for a longer course triathlon. I ordered some samples of Tailwind to try out. It has no protein, so maybe that will set better than the Infinit. Has anyone tried this? What about UCAN? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! Anne

I've not raced a 140.6, only gone 70.3, so my nutrition needs were different than yours.  But, at one point I played around with Infinit and as I recall, you can change around the formula as needed.  Can you still do that? If so, maybe drop the protein down a bit on your formula?

Other than that, I'll let Janyne and other long coursers chime in!

I use EFS-LS + Clif Shot Bloks on the bike.  Not too exciting but it's been working.  For a full IM, I use three of each.

Cliff Shot bloks seem like a viable option. I'm definitely intrigued by the IFS-LS, have not seen that product before.

My local tri store carries it which makes the EFS-LS a viable option.  I mean, I don't know if I'd have had it shipped to me just to try it.  I add half of a small bottle (one serving) in my water and have a shot blok every 20 minutes.  At the beginning of the season, I buy a few of the 5 oz bottles and then get the refill cannister after that.  In races, I toss the small bottles when I'm done with them.

This reminded me, I have done a bit of experimenting with straight honey in a little bottle. I love honey, so I may not have done the most scientific tracking of results.

2016-10-26 1:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by brigby1

Since it was fine in training, I'm first wondering what was different between training and the race? The report says issues showed up only 10 miles into the bike, so it may have been something else. Since it was Florida, that would mean a saltwater swim, which can mess people up if they're not used to it. It's different than freshwater, tends to be more upsetting. Then the swells. It is the Gulf instead of the open ocean, but it's still way bigger than any inland body of water. Even relatively minor ups & downs can be unsettling as that's not really seen as much in smaller bodies of water. Although Lake Michigan has been having small craft advisories quite regularly the past months (warnings of 6 ft swells or more).

By all means keep looking to simplify. Just know that the issue from before may not have been from the nutrition itself. I can't take anything if my stomach is upset.

Agree with all of this. If something has worked in training the entire time, it's probably not that "known" element that's causing the issues. 
Personally I'm an Infinite gal and have used it training for 4 IMs. It's so simple and effective, especially when concentrated.

2016-10-26 5:58 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Today was 30 F when I went to work and I rode on the trainer...I miss Summer.
2016-10-26 6:01 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JBacarellaToday was 30 F when I went to work and I rode on the trainer...I miss Summer.
Yikes! It was around 70* by me this morning
2016-10-26 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
As for nutrition:
After years of Tang (astronauts drink it) this Summer I switched to cyclomax. It's decent and does the job. I also like Honey Stinger waffles on the bike and I have eaten the strawberry with Nutella in the past, it's a nice treat. I will also sometimes eat an Uncrustable on a long ride. There are times it sits in my stomach like lead, so I didn't do it for my IM, I just stuck with Honey stinger waffles, and gels on the bike. I tried a Cliff Bar at the last aid station. It was like eating clay, I couldn't swallow it and spit it out.

2016-10-26 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've had the same experience with Cliff Bars and really any solid food in the first hour or so after a HIM. It just tastes like clay, or sawdust, and I can't get it down. Only fruit seems to go down well. I don't think solid food on the run would work, even if I could chew it!

I think half my problem is that I really don't have a sweet tooth. Just reading some of the descriptions of bike munchies (strawberry with Nutella) make me nauseous. My tolerance of sweets is pretty much limited to actual fruit, and dark chocolate. No idea what I would do for a full IM......that is a long time to be eating chocolate and I would probably get sick of it. Maybe some kind of mix of Mojo bars , nuts, and chocolate on the bike, and gu and some kind of liquid on the run? I know I couldn't do a marathon's worth of gu!
2016-10-26 7:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JBacarellaToday was 30 F when I went to work and I rode on the trainer...I miss Summer.
Yikes! It was around 70* by me this morning

47 and raining here. Had a nice run out in it.

2016-10-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner I've had the same experience with Cliff Bars and really any solid food in the first hour or so after a HIM. It just tastes like clay, or sawdust, and I can't get it down. Only fruit seems to go down well. I don't think solid food on the run would work, even if I could chew it! I think half my problem is that I really don't have a sweet tooth. Just reading some of the descriptions of bike munchies (strawberry with Nutella) make me nauseous. My tolerance of sweets is pretty much limited to actual fruit, and dark chocolate. No idea what I would do for a full IM......that is a long time to be eating chocolate and I would probably get sick of it. Maybe some kind of mix of Mojo bars , nuts, and chocolate on the bike, and gu and some kind of liquid on the run? I know I couldn't do a marathon's worth of gu!

When running longer, I've tried solids, but had to either stop or risk biting my tongue off (literally). Gels only when running far.

Reminds me that weather had some influence too. Some things could become a hot gooey mess in the summer. Others can freeze solid in the winter (I can run just below zero). Had to watch where I stored things and what I brought with. Body heat could keep things soft enough, but would have to mostly unzip the jacket to get it close enough for that effect. Kind of a nuisance at that point, more so because the zippers wouldn't go with the heavy gloves on too. Switched some things around then.

2016-10-26 8:36 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Hot Runner I've had the same experience with Cliff Bars and really any solid food in the first hour or so after a HIM. It just tastes like clay, or sawdust, and I can't get it down. Only fruit seems to go down well. I don't think solid food on the run would work, even if I could chew it! I think half my problem is that I really don't have a sweet tooth. Just reading some of the descriptions of bike munchies (strawberry with Nutella) make me nauseous. My tolerance of sweets is pretty much limited to actual fruit, and dark chocolate. No idea what I would do for a full IM......that is a long time to be eating chocolate and I would probably get sick of it. Maybe some kind of mix of Mojo bars , nuts, and chocolate on the bike, and gu and some kind of liquid on the run? I know I couldn't do a marathon's worth of gu!

When running longer, I've tried solids, but had to either stop or risk biting my tongue off (literally). Gels only when running far.

Reminds me that weather had some influence too. Some things could become a hot gooey mess in the summer. Others can freeze solid in the winter (I can run just below zero). Had to watch where I stored things and what I brought with. Body heat could keep things soft enough, but would have to mostly unzip the jacket to get it close enough for that effect. Kind of a nuisance at that point, more so because the zippers wouldn't go with the heavy gloves on too. Switched some things around then.

At my IM the things that went down well were oranges, potato chips, and chicken broth. Besides the Cliff bar, I could not eat pretzels, GU (had too much of that on the bike) or the energy drink (I can't take those under any circumstances).
In the winter on long runs I will put a hand warmer in with gels. The first winter trail run I did, I ended up with GUcycles, not good.
2016-10-26 11:07 PM

User image

Seattle
Nutrition :The more experienced I've gotten in endurance sports the less and less I've used nutrition in training and only a little racing. I don't train with much of anything currently. In my last marathon build I just ate a normal breakfast (and coffee is a must) before a long run and lunch after. I've just found that so long as you eat and hydrate well, daily, it doesn't really make a big difference. If I bonk it's because my training was insufficient not because i chose not to consumt a couple hundred calories. I'll do a couple caffeinated gels the second half of a marathon race but I think that's more about the caffeine. Not sure. Water, however, is a must for longer or hotter runs.It's different for those lengthy events that are taking half or all day. Becsuse tgat would cross into a typical meal time I'd want some food. If I had it my way it'd be a sub sammich or something but that doesn't tend to be an option : ) Due to logistics I tend to conform with the portable, more frequent snacking. I know this is atypical and I may just be an anomaly but sometimes I do feel the emphasis on nutrition is much more marketing based than science and actual necessity. Not to say it doesn't matter at all or that tolerance for certain foods isn't a consideration. Altitude changes things for me completely, however. I lose my appetite and of course the elements really have to be taken into consideration (gels don't work so well when they are frozen solid )

2016-10-27 3:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True....I don't think I ate anything, even, during training or racing for any of my marathons. Basically the only calories were coming from Gatorade or similar sports drinks, or defizzed Coke, and I drank them pretty diluted (or chased them with a couple cups of water) and then went to only water for the final 10 km. (My body just kind of shuts down and sweet drinks make me nauseous then.) I really doubt I was taking in more than 500 calories, maybe as little as 300, in a typical race. Granted, I'm pretty light and I was pretty fast back in the day, but the only time I can recall "bonking" was my first marathon, when I was undertrained and clueless about pacing. (When one is 14, and running with no watch, and goes through 20 miles at a 2:54 pace, the main issue is NOT nutrition or lack thereof!) In pretty much all my other marathons, I had a finish that ranged from strong and steady to blazing fast (the last mile of my PB race was 5:25), with no gu, chews, etc. I don't recall ever carrying any nutrition or even sports drinks on my runs, except maybe in really hot conditions, and can't recall any incident like "bonking", So not sure how necessary all this stuff really is.

Ditto for tri--I think according to most standards I am under-fueling, even factoring in size and time on the course, which might be less than bigger or slower athletes, but I generally have a strong finish and have never "bonked". My chocolate bar has about 500 calories; I have had as little as one gu and as many as 3 or 4 beyond that in a HIM. I think the max I've taken in in a race was probably 800-900 calories. The "max" intake (at Vietnam Tri this year) was deliberate, as I hadn't been able to get down nearly as much food as I would have liked the day before the race due to a combo of nerves and cramps, and was really worried that I was under-fueled for the race from the get-go.

The only times have experienced what most people describe as "bonking" (just running out of gas), the issue actually seemed to be insufficient or poorly timed nutrition the day before a long workout, not what I took in or didn't take in during the race/workout itself. For example, if I ate an early dinner the previous day, and/or had an unusually low-carb meal, like a big salad, I don't tend to feel as energetic on a long/hard workout the next day, even if I have a bit to eat beforehand and take in some nutrition en route. Particularly for longer events, I think one also has to look at fueling in the days leading up to an event, as well as during the event itself. Not sure about the actual physiology, but it seems like if your glycogen stores are running low to begin with, you'll have less reserve to deal with additional demands on your body during a race, will need to take in more calories during the race, and might be tempted to take in so many that it could lead to GI issues.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-10-27 4:00 AM
2016-10-27 5:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

As for nutrition:
After years of Tang (astronauts drink it) this Summer I switched to cyclomax. It's decent and does the job. I also like Honey Stinger waffles on the bike and I have eaten the strawberry with Nutella in the past, it's a nice treat. I will also sometimes eat an Uncrustable on a long ride. There are times it sits in my stomach like lead, so I didn't do it for my IM, I just stuck with Honey stinger waffles, and gels on the bike. I tried a Cliff Bar at the last aid station. It was like eating clay, I couldn't swallow it and spit it out.

Thanks for sharing. The Honey Stinger waffles seem to be popular. I had not heard of cyclomax.

Hot Runner and Asalzwad's posts about not fueling much are fascinating.

Edited by abake 2016-10-27 5:20 AM
2016-10-27 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OK, I’m kind of thinking out loud here but I need to work through some thoughts about my 2017 schedule.  My plan was to do a marathon, a few duathlons and then IMNC in the fall.  Well, IMNC may or may not happen?  I dunno. If IMNC is not a Go, then I was thinking either Rev3 Cedar Point or IMFL. 

My concern with Cedar Point is that it’s awfully small.  My concern with IMFL is that it would make for a long season with little break before running season.  My concern with both is the swim since my IM swims have been in Banks Channel, the Russian River and the Tennessee River (notice a theme?).  Both PCB and Cleveland are 10 hour drives from Raleigh.  This is all pending Kevin’s vacation schedule since one reason for IMNC was that it’s only two hours from Raleigh so less vacation time is needed. 

To make matters more interesting, I have an early entry to Florida.  Before getting that, I was thinking, “Why not make it a USAT year?”  I planning USAT long course du nationals (which happens to be local to e), USAT standard du nationals, why not do USAT ultra nationals in Cedar Point? 

2016-10-27 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Today was 30 F when I went to work and I rode on the trainer...I miss Summer.

Wait, just last week you *liked* the cold!

2016-10-27 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella As for nutrition: After years of Tang (astronauts drink it) this Summer I switched to cyclomax. It's decent and does the job. I also like Honey Stinger waffles on the bike and I have eaten the strawberry with Nutella in the past, it's a nice treat. I will also sometimes eat an Uncrustable on a long ride. There are times it sits in my stomach like lead, so I didn't do it for my IM, I just stuck with Honey stinger waffles, and gels on the bike. I tried a Cliff Bar at the last aid station. It was like eating clay, I couldn't swallow it and spit it out.

I know a lot of people use Uncrustables.  That makes sense to me.  In supported rides, I always go for the PB&J.

The issue for me is not how things go down for me on the bike but when I start to run after 112 (116?) miles of bike nutrition.  When I switched to mostly liquids on the bike, I felt a lot better on the run.

2016-10-27 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

At my IM the things that went down well were oranges, potato chips, and chicken broth. Besides the Cliff bar, I could not eat pretzels, GU (had too much of that on the bike) or the energy drink (I can't take those under any circumstances). In the winter on long runs I will put a hand warmer in with gels. The first winter trail run I did, I ended up with GUcycles, not good.

I've had pretzels in past IMs but I had to spit them out in Chattanooga.  The weather may have influenced that.  I think that I mentioned that I used cola + water on the run.  Just.So.Hot.

2016-10-27 8:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

OK, I’m kind of thinking out loud here but I need to work through some thoughts about my 2017 schedule.  My plan was to do a marathon, a few duathlons and then IMNC in the fall.  Well, IMNC may or may not happen?  I dunno. If IMNC is not a Go, then I was thinking either Rev3 Cedar Point or IMFL. 

My concern with Cedar Point is that it’s awfully small.  My concern with IMFL is that it would make for a long season with little break before running season.  My concern with both is the swim since my IM swims have been in Banks Channel, the Russian River and the Tennessee River (notice a theme?).  Both PCB and Cleveland are 10 hour drives from Raleigh.  This is all pending Kevin’s vacation schedule since one reason for IMNC was that it’s only two hours from Raleigh so less vacation time is needed. 

To make matters more interesting, I have an early entry to Florida.  Before getting that, I was thinking, “Why not make it a USAT year?”  I planning USAT long course du nationals (which happens to be local to e), USAT standard du nationals, why not do USAT ultra nationals in Cedar Point? 

The USAT year could be fun, but still sounds like it's highly dependent on the IM. Nats at Cedar Point is the Rev3 race which seems to be your major decision point. The duathlons could be a nice change. Just so people know, Long Course duathlon tends to be near an Oly for what we're used to. This one is 5mi/33mi/5mi, so not terribly far off.

How did you come down to these two races? Your concerns sound the same for both, so wondering what else went into it or why some other IMs may not be on the schedule as there are a number of them out East (I don't know quite how far things are either).

2016-10-27 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The USAT year could be fun, but still sounds like it's highly dependent on the IM. Nats at Cedar Point is the Rev3 race which seems to be your major decision point. The duathlons could be a nice change. Just so people know, Long Course duathlon tends to be near an Oly for what we're used to. This one is 5mi/33mi/5mi, so not terribly far off.

How did you come down to these two races? Your concerns sound the same for both, so wondering what else went into it or why some other IMs may not be on the schedule as there are a number of them out East (I don't know quite how far things are either).

I am looking for a fall event.  I would do Chattanooga again but I'm not interested in doing it two years in a row.  Kevin doesn't want to go to Louisville and that's not at the top of my list so I eliminated that one.  Maryland seems iffy from a getting the whole 140.6 (plus maybe not sherpa friendly) so I crossed that off the list.  That leaves IMNC (my top choice), IMFL, and Rev3 Cedar Point.  

Cedar Point is in September, IMNC could possibly be in October, and IMFL is in early November.

Regarding the duathlons, the long course one is ten or fifteen minutes from my house so it's a local du that happens to be USAT nationals. The standard du is in Bend and Kevin wants to go back there for mountain biking so it's more of a racecation situation.

2016-10-27 8:30 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JBacarella As for nutrition: After years of Tang (astronauts drink it) this Summer I switched to cyclomax. It's decent and does the job. I also like Honey Stinger waffles on the bike and I have eaten the strawberry with Nutella in the past, it's a nice treat. I will also sometimes eat an Uncrustable on a long ride. There are times it sits in my stomach like lead, so I didn't do it for my IM, I just stuck with Honey stinger waffles, and gels on the bike. I tried a Cliff Bar at the last aid station. It was like eating clay, I couldn't swallow it and spit it out.
Thanks for sharing. The Honey Stinger waffles seem to be popular. I had not heard of cyclomax. Hot Runner and Asalzwad's posts about not fueling much are fascinating.

Think it's more looking at it a bit differently. Probably more staying out of your own way. Take care of eating well outside of the workout or event and you won't be so dependent during. I think many tend to overrate how important it is during. Not saying to eat any old thing as I've certainly had some big issues myself, but more to look at it as complimenting a little instead of being a vital resource. Find something agreeable that should help a little, but don't rely on it to make or break your day as far as keeping your energy up. Hence, staying out your own way.

Before going too far with that, something to keep in mind is just how long events go on for too. Even the marathon was only about 3 hrs, which is only a few times feeding at most, as compared to one that will take 12 hrs or more for most here. The training can vary too. When training more, I could quite regularly have a ride go 2-2.5 hrs and then go run for 45-60 minutes. Even a higher volume runner may still "only" do close to the 60 minutes most of the time. Some of that needing something could be just crossing a meal time, or in my case, that's a long time to go without even a snack. That's before getting into the 4+ hr rides an IM would have. I don't think what was said was meant to go entirely out or to really skimp on some of these, more putting in the idea that it may not be necessary to have as much as some do. Whenever this comes up on the main boards, some people really like to set up a smorgasbord with a huge array of food set out or packed in. It's probably not helping near as much as they think. That's heading towards magic pill thinking.

2016-10-27 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I think you've mentioned that you really like tri training through the summer, right? I agree with your point about IMFL being a really long season. Won't peak training actually be in the fall, rather than the summer? The daylight hours are already starting to feel a bit squeezed these last few weeks.
When you have a concern with Cedar Point being small, what is the concern? Do you get lonely on the course, feel there isn't enough support from the volunteers/community, etc?

2016-10-27 8:57 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia

I think you've mentioned that you really like tri training through the summer, right? I agree with your point about IMFL being a really long season. Won't peak training actually be in the fall, rather than the summer? The daylight hours are already starting to feel a bit squeezed these last few weeks. When you have a concern with Cedar Point being small, what is the concern? Do you get lonely on the course, feel there isn't enough support from the volunteers/community, etc?

For Florida, peak training would start in mid-August or so and go through mid-October.  I imagine that would mean a few weeknight trainer rides to get the time in.  Yes, even with B2B, I would feel a bit of stress squeezing in weeknight workouts before sunset and that's a few weeks earlier.  My main concern, though, was allowing time for a post season recovery before moving into run focus. 

Regarding Cedar Point, I've done small HIMs (Gator Half) and that was fine so I'm not sure what the concern is.  Maybe just that it won't feel much like a celebration?  Not that I hang around the finish line and par-tay.  Maybe it's more if an issue in my head than in reality, huh?  Thanks for helping me think this through.

Really, WTC just needs to schedule IMNC for October 21 ;-)

2016-10-27 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think you've mentioned that you really like tri training through the summer, right? I agree with your point about IMFL being a really long season. Won't peak training actually be in the fall, rather than the summer? The daylight hours are already starting to feel a bit squeezed these last few weeks. When you have a concern with Cedar Point being small, what is the concern? Do you get lonely on the course, feel there isn't enough support from the volunteers/community, etc?

For Florida, peak training would start in mid-August or so and go through mid-October.  I imagine that would mean a few weeknight trainer rides to get the time in.  Yes, even with B2B, I would feel a bit of stress squeezing in weeknight workouts before sunset and that's a few weeks earlier.  My main concern, though, was allowing time for a post season recovery before moving into run focus. 

Regarding Cedar Point, I've done small HIMs (Gator Half) and that was fine so I'm not sure what the concern is.  Maybe just that it won't feel much like a celebration?  Not that I hang around the finish line and par-tay.  Maybe it's more if an issue in my head than in reality, huh?  Thanks for helping me think this through.

Janyne, my only input is that I enjoyed everything about Rev3 Venice when I volunteered a few years ago. I worked some prework with the bike vol coordinator and she did a lot of work to make sure things were good. Point being that they seemed to care about the participants, if that sort of thing matters to you. Hands may have better input, since she raced it, but I think they strike a good balance between size and function. And I think that Cedar Point is kind of their flagship event, along with Quassy, which should mean a larger participant base.

IMFL is in Pensacola, right? I've heard a few years of sketchy water conditions during the swimming portion. Heck, Rev3 had to cancel the swim one year by us in November, due to safety concerns. While it should be out of hurricane season, it seems like the weather this time of year can be finicky in the Gulf of Mexico.

2016-10-27 9:21 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Janyne, my only input is that I enjoyed everything about Rev3 Venice when I volunteered a few years ago. I worked some prework with the bike vol coordinator and she did a lot of work to make sure things were good. Point being that they seemed to care about the participants, if that sort of thing matters to you. Hands may have better input, since she raced it, but I think they strike a good balance between size and function. And I think that Cedar Point is kind of their flagship event, along with Quassy, which should mean a larger participant base.

IMFL is in Pensacola, right? I've heard a few years of sketchy water conditions during the swimming portion. Heck, Rev3 had to cancel the swim one year by us in November, due to safety concerns. While it should be out of hurricane season, it seems like the weather this time of year can be finicky in the Gulf of Mexico.

Thanks Chris!

I spoke with someone who has done both and she loved both Cedar Point and IMFL.  Her recommendation was to do both.  ;-)

2016-10-27 9:29 AM

User image

I know a lot of people use Uncrustables.  That makes sense to me.  In supported rides, I always go for the PB&J.

The issue for me is not how things go down for me on the bike but when I start to run after 112 (116?) miles of bike nutrition.  When I switched to mostly liquids on the bike, I felt a lot better on the run.

See, for me it was opposite - when I was doing liquids on the bike, I had problems on the run. When I switched to food on the bike the problems went away.

We just all need to try different things to see what works for the individual.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.