BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-10-28 10:29 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by JBacarella As for nutrition: After years of Tang (astronauts drink it) this Summer I switched to cyclomax. It's decent and does the job. I also like Honey Stinger waffles on the bike and I have eaten the strawberry with Nutella in the past, it's a nice treat. I will also sometimes eat an Uncrustable on a long ride. There are times it sits in my stomach like lead, so I didn't do it for my IM, I just stuck with Honey stinger waffles, and gels on the bike. I tried a Cliff Bar at the last aid station. It was like eating clay, I couldn't swallow it and spit it out.
Thanks for sharing. The Honey Stinger waffles seem to be popular. I had not heard of cyclomax. Hot Runner and Asalzwad's posts about not fueling much are fascinating.

Think it's more looking at it a bit differently. Probably more staying out of your own way. Take care of eating well outside of the workout or event and you won't be so dependent during. I think many tend to overrate how important it is during. Not saying to eat any old thing as I've certainly had some big issues myself, but more to look at it as complimenting a little instead of being a vital resource. Find something agreeable that should help a little, but don't rely on it to make or break your day as far as keeping your energy up. Hence, staying out your own way.

Before going too far with that, something to keep in mind is just how long events go on for too. Even the marathon was only about 3 hrs, which is only a few times feeding at most, as compared to one that will take 12 hrs or more for most here. The training can vary too. When training more, I could quite regularly have a ride go 2-2.5 hrs and then go run for 45-60 minutes. Even a higher volume runner may still "only" do close to the 60 minutes most of the time. Some of that needing something could be just crossing a meal time, or in my case, that's a long time to go without even a snack. That's before getting into the 4+ hr rides an IM would have. I don't think what was said was meant to go entirely out or to really skimp on some of these, more putting in the idea that it may not be necessary to have as much as some do. Whenever this comes up on the main boards, some people really like to set up a smorgasbord with a huge array of food set out or packed in. It's probably not helping near as much as they think. That's heading towards magic pill thinking.

Yeah, you are on the right track as to how I think of it. And pretty spot on with duration of event or workout. Still, ultimately more about crossing a meal time or amount of time between meals than some need to replace calories in the midst of exercise for performance.

2016-10-28 11:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Hey Manatee's, I have been MIA for a few weeks now and just wanted to give a proof of life post. I hope everyone is doing well. I also wanted to introduce you to the newest Manatee Andrew. He has been keeping me very busy. Sorry it is so big, not sure how to resize.

Edited by emcmino 2016-10-28 11:12 AM

(Baby.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Baby.jpg (1267KB - 3 downloads)
2016-10-28 11:55 AM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by emcmino Hey Manatee's, I have been MIA for a few weeks now and just wanted to give a proof of life post. I hope everyone is doing well. I also wanted to introduce you to the newest Manatee Andrew. He has been keeping me very busy. Sorry it is so big, not sure how to resize.

Congratulations!

2016-10-28 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by emcmino Hey Manatee's, I have been MIA for a few weeks now and just wanted to give a proof of life post. I hope everyone is doing well. I also wanted to introduce you to the newest Manatee Andrew. He has been keeping me very busy. Sorry it is so big, not sure how to resize.

Awwwwww!!!!!!!!!

2016-10-28 12:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

October 29-30
Lisa - Backcountry Half Marathon (Las Vegas, NV) on Saturday
Randee - Halloween Wrentham Duathlon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Oooooh, I am so jealous of the backcountry race!!!!!!

Have fun both of you and ride and run like the wind!

2016-10-28 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

October 29-30

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooo Lisa!
Gooooo Randee!

Everyone have a safe and wonderful weekend.

2016-10-28 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by emcmino

Hey Manatee's, I have been MIA for a few weeks now and just wanted to give a proof of life post. I hope everyone is doing well. I also wanted to introduce you to the newest Manatee Andrew. He has been keeping me very busy. Sorry it is so big, not sure how to resize.

Congratulations!! Welcome to the Pod, Andrew! xoxo
2016-10-28 12:38 PM

User image

Expert

Congratulations!
2016-10-28 12:52 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by JBacarella As for nutrition: After years of Tang (astronauts drink it) this Summer I switched to cyclomax. It's decent and does the job. I also like Honey Stinger waffles on the bike and I have eaten the strawberry with Nutella in the past, it's a nice treat. I will also sometimes eat an Uncrustable on a long ride. There are times it sits in my stomach like lead, so I didn't do it for my IM, I just stuck with Honey stinger waffles, and gels on the bike. I tried a Cliff Bar at the last aid station. It was like eating clay, I couldn't swallow it and spit it out.
Thanks for sharing. The Honey Stinger waffles seem to be popular. I had not heard of cyclomax. Hot Runner and Asalzwad's posts about not fueling much are fascinating.

Think it's more looking at it a bit differently. Probably more staying out of your own way. Take care of eating well outside of the workout or event and you won't be so dependent during. I think many tend to overrate how important it is during. Not saying to eat any old thing as I've certainly had some big issues myself, but more to look at it as complimenting a little instead of being a vital resource. Find something agreeable that should help a little, but don't rely on it to make or break your day as far as keeping your energy up. Hence, staying out your own way.

Before going too far with that, something to keep in mind is just how long events go on for too. Even the marathon was only about 3 hrs, which is only a few times feeding at most, as compared to one that will take 12 hrs or more for most here. The training can vary too. When training more, I could quite regularly have a ride go 2-2.5 hrs and then go run for 45-60 minutes. Even a higher volume runner may still "only" do close to the 60 minutes most of the time. Some of that needing something could be just crossing a meal time, or in my case, that's a long time to go without even a snack. That's before getting into the 4+ hr rides an IM would have. I don't think what was said was meant to go entirely out or to really skimp on some of these, more putting in the idea that it may not be necessary to have as much as some do. Whenever this comes up on the main boards, some people really like to set up a smorgasbord with a huge array of food set out or packed in. It's probably not helping near as much as they think. That's heading towards magic pill thinking.

Yeah, you are on the right track as to how I think of it. And pretty spot on with duration of event or workout. Still, ultimately more about crossing a meal time or amount of time between meals than some need to replace calories in the midst of exercise for performance.

Anything under an hour to an hour and a half should not require fuel during the exercise. Your body will store enough glycogen to fuel you for an hour + of heavy work. Once you get into longer duration, then look refuel during your workout, starting with smaller amounts. For an Oly or half marathon maybe one or two gel and water. I sometimes to a 15 mile trail race and I treat that the same as a half marathon. If you get into longer duration 4+ then you need more to sustain yourself. Caveat is try stuff at shorter distances first, it's hell to go long when something feels like lead in your stomach.

Cyclomax is like all of the other sports drink mixtures, its all basically the same stuff. Minor differences in ingredients and what they put in it. I like it because it is milder. The flavor isn't overpowering and my teeth don't feel fuzzy when I drink it. We have a boutique sporting goods store here that caters to endurance canoe and kayak racers and that's the "thing" for them right now.
2016-10-28 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Andrew is an acceptable reason to be MIA!  Congrats!!

2016-10-28 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 29-30

Is anyone else racing?

Go get em Lisa and Randee!!

2016-10-28 1:12 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Originally posted by Atlantia

Congrats! Very cute. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant with our second. In celebration of it being Friday I decided to sign up for the Dallas Marathon today. It's Dec 11th and I'm excited to run my 1st marathon. Hopefully it's not too painful .
2016-10-28 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So speaking of 2017...

I just got of the phone with a coach who I think (and he thinks) will be a good fit to transition me from my 50 to my 100!!!! I talked to him about other commitments, and he is on the same page about recovery periods for masters runners. As a matter of fact I read an article he'd written a few months ago and that's when I backed off my running days. I think it's been effective but I guess I'll see in about 3 weeks

2016-10-28 1:37 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

So speaking of 2017...

I just got of the phone with a coach who I think (and he thinks) will be a good fit to transition me from my 50 to my 100!!!! I talked to him about other commitments, and he is on the same page about recovery periods for masters runners. As a matter of fact I read an article he'd written a few months ago and that's when I backed off my running days. I think it's been effective but I guess I'll see in about 3 weeks

Woo hoo!

What 100 are you considering (or is that secret)?

2016-10-28 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So speaking of 2017...

Woo hoo!

I am looking at the Ft. Clinch 100 on Amelia Island in March. I figure if DS2 isn't under water at that point then he'll either be in Kings Bay or Norfolk. Hopefully he'll be able to get some days off to either hang out or maybe even pace me for a few (or 50) miles.

Edited by rrrunner 2016-10-28 1:45 PM
2016-10-28 1:56 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

October 29-30

Is anyone else racing?

Itsy bitsy race list this week.  GOOOOO racers!!!!  Have fun out there!

2016-10-28 1:58 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, he's so adorable!!  Congrats, proud papa!

2016-10-28 1:59 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

So speaking of 2017...

100!!!!  Wow!!

2016-10-28 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So speaking of 2017...

Woo hoo!

I am looking at the Ft. Clinch 100 on Amelia Island in March. I figure if DS2 isn't under water at that point then he'll either be in Kings Bay or Norfolk. Hopefully he'll be able to get some days off to either hang out or maybe even pace me for a few (or 50) miles.

How exciting!

2016-10-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

October 29-30

Is anyone else racing?

Itsy bitsy race list this week.  GOOOOO racers!!!!  Have fun out there!

I think that we'll make up for it next week.  And no DL!

2016-10-28 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So speaking of 2017...

100!!!!  Wow!!

Whaddaya mean "Wow"?! You helped talk me in to it! Remember that conversation?

2016-10-28 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

So speaking of 2017...

100! Wow, very exciting!! And, congrats on finding the coach.

2016-10-28 2:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

So speaking of 2017...

100!!!!  Wow!!

Whaddaya mean "Wow"?! You helped talk me in to it! Remember that conversation?

Ha ha ha, that's right!!!   But 100 miles still deserves a wow!

Edited by melbo55 2016-10-28 2:56 PM
2016-10-28 2:56 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I have a very bad case of the Fridays which means I finally got around to finishing my the race report for the Wineglass Half Marathon that I did at the beginning of October.  It's wordy, as usual.

2016-10-28 8:39 PM

Master
Northern IL

Work ran a benefit 5k at a nearby park where the entry is to get a bunch of canned goods that will be donated to a local food pantry. Have been feeling pretty good running, so thought to try a little faster than easy this time, at least in sections. Last week was ~9:00/mi, so maybe like 8:30 and pick it up late. Ran it largely by feel and turns out I split ~8:00, 7:30, 7:00 and that extra bit ~6:30 to end up at 23:23 total (28:07 last week). Felt good, did something, but well short of spent so things seem to be coming along there. Afterward there was a raffle with lots of stuff given away. Won a 1-year membership to the gym (~$100 value). Good finish to the week/start to the weekend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.