General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Stevens vs. Black Diamond Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-10 4:02 PM

User image

New user
Seattle
Subject: Lake Stevens vs. Black Diamond
I am trying to decide between entering the sprint tri at Lake Stevens versus the Black Diamond tri. Both are on the same date in September. I like the longer length of the swim and bike of the Black Diamond tri though the run is a slight bit shorter. However, the race reviews on this site for the Black Diamond tri sound pretty bad, mentioning that the race is poorly organized, and that there are many events going on at once. The reviews for the Lake Stevens seem pretty good, well organized, fun event. It seems that the bike course on the Lake Steven tri might be a bit more mellow and on back roads versus busy streets.

Can anyone who knows of these tris or who has done either of them give me their opinion? Both are equidistant from where I live so travel isn't an issue. Cost and post-race celebrations aren't of concern either.

Thanks in advance,
Jeanne

2016-08-12 6:31 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Lake Stevens vs. Black Diamond

I'm a bit partial to the BuDu events, and I'll be at Lake Stevens (where I'll be giving away a custom bike frame to some one who did all three of the west-side BuDu Multi-sport races), but I've never actually done that particular event. BuDu puts on good races, and they've been at it a long time. You really can't go wrong with any of their events.

I'm also fairly familiar with the area surrounding the Black Diamond race, used to ride out there pretty often, and don't really consider the roads out there to be "busy". There's decent shoulder throughout, but where they put the turn-around point seems a little ill-advised. The run will be on trails, which it's been YEARS since I've been on, and from my memory they can be fairly root-strewn.

That's what I know. Maybe not so helpful.

2016-09-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Subject: RE: Lake Stevens vs. Black Diamond
I d say they are both pretty equal in regards to organization. Both are low key races. Black Diamond has better medals and the swim is more pleasant in Deep lake. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Stevens vs. Black Diamond Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Black Diamond Half

Started by zed707
Views: 1940 Posts: 16

2009-09-09 6:48 PM TriMoot

Black Diamond Half Iron

Started by twocougz
Views: 1585 Posts: 10

2008-09-15 10:40 PM twocougz

Black Diamond Tri Pages: 1 2

Started by tek8807
Views: 2889 Posts: 27

2007-09-27 7:00 PM deashipp

Black Diamond

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1195 Posts: 3

2006-10-06 7:24 AM Novo

Black Diamond Tri - Seattle, WA

Started by jmeyers
Views: 1507 Posts: 5

2005-09-25 5:15 PM magic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?