General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's input for HIM nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-07 3:20 PM

Master
Boston
Subject: Women's input for HIM nutrition

Hi ladies! I know this question has been asked a dozen times, but as my first HIM is nearing closer and closer, I'm starting to think about my race day nutrition- and would like to practice it on my long bikes and runs that are coming up this month and next. Could any of you BT ladies give me a rundown of what you eat during the bike/run (hydration and nutrition)? I'm more interested in women's responses, because I know our nutrition needs are different than the guys- we probably don't need to take in as much fuel (at least that's what I'm assuming.

For example, just list it something like this:
Bike (per hour)
1 bottle gatorade endurance
1 bottle water
1 gel

Thanks for your help!

2006-09-07 8:55 PM
in reply to: #533717

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Women's input for HIM nutrition
HIM Bike (3 hours)

2 bottles gatorade mixed with carbo pro
1 aero bottle water

For a HIM I have water in my aero bottle. Two water bottles with gatorade/accelerade/gu20 (whatever I fill like) and carbo pro mixed in. The Carbo Pro is my main source of nutrition on the bike.

I typically do not exchange bottles out during the ride.

I bring a couple of gel and some kind of clif bar or something similar. The gel and the bar I don't usually use - but I have them for backup. Solid food is hard for me to eat while I'm racing so the carbo pro works great.

On the run I'll bring gel (try to get one down each hour) I try and drink a little water/gatorade at most of the aid stations....more if it is really hot. I will typically take a banana if they have it.

Best advice - just don't get behind on your nutrition
2006-09-07 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Here's a link that might be helpful for you.  I posted what I did for Gulf Coast in May and it worked great both during the race and while training. I went with about 200 calories per hour. Good luck!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=54219&posts=20&start=1

2006-09-08 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Lisa-

Here's what I did for my Half IM in Baja in May....

Hour 1

Clif Bar (~200 calories). Easier to get solid food down earlier on the bike
1 Bottle Accelerade (~200 calories)

Hour 2
1/2 Bottle accelerade (~100 calories)
1/2 Bottle water (grabbed from aid station and downed)
3 Clif Shot Blocks (90 calories)

Hour 3
Same as hour 2

Your body will only adsorb about 250 calories/hour, so I used that as my basis. This nutrition plan worked really well for me. I had a little bit of an upset stomach on the run that went away after the first couple miles (nothing a little coke & carbonation couldn't fix).

Hope this helps!
2006-09-08 12:32 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GatorGirl22 - 2006-09-07 3:20 PM

I know our nutrition needs are different than the guys- we probably don't need to take in as much fuel (at least that's what I'm assuming.

For example, just list it something like this:
Bike (per hour)
1 bottle gatorade endurance
1 bottle water
1 gel

Thanks for your help!

Generally, nutritional needs correlate to body weight.  So it's "different" for ladies only to the extent that they have a different weight.  A typical range for HIM is about 200-400 cal/hr.  Your mix should give you @250 (100 gel/150 from 24oz GE).  As always, best to try it out in practice and see if you need more/less.  I'm 190 and shoot for 400+ on the bike (much less on the run).

2006-09-09 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

This is what I did @ Racine and today....

Breakfast:

PBJ Sandwich and banana

1 bottle Gatorade Rain

15 minutes before wave went off in water

1 Gu

15 minutes into the bike

1 Powerbar

1 Gel every 45 minutes after that

I drank 2 big water bottles full of Gatorade Rain plus a bottle of water @ Racine. Today, I only drank 1 Gatorade bottle and had some water with the Gu and the Powerbar. Today was not hot at all.

On the run I continued with the Gu every 45 minutes and I brought my own small bottle of Gatorade Rain. Drank it all, and added water to my bottle @ rest stops after that.

I was never sick or hungry at either of my HIM races. No gastro issues. Maybe I don't move fast enough. I'm 160 lbs.

I'm hungry for some non foil packaged/processed/pressed or gelled food right now, though.

Good Luck.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's input for HIM nutrition Rss Feed