General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for/coping with stomach issues? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-07 6:00 PM

Subject: Training for/coping with stomach issues?
Hi there,

I just recently completed Ironman Canada, and overall had a fantastic day. However, the biggest single issue I saw was stomach shutdown in the late bike/early run. Any ideas how someone can train for these issues? It happened to me and all my training partners, although we all raced with the same nutrition we trained with, and even had professional advice as to the amounts of carbs, etc, that we took in.

I didn't sign up for next year, but I can imagine doing such a race again. I am wondering, however, how people cope with this issue? Does it just happen every race and people just get used to it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2006-09-07 9:10 PM
in reply to: #533892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: RE: Training for/coping with stomach issues?

Could it be a case of nerves?  If you used the same hydration and nutrition that you trained with it seems odd that you would have had a problem on race day.

Were you racing in a different environment than where you train, or was the weather much hotter than what you are used to?  The only time I've ever had an issue was on a long bike ride when it got over 100 degrees and I could not take in any hydration or nutrition.  It was not pretty. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for/coping with stomach issues? Rss Feed