General Discussion Race Reports! » MiTitanium Triathlon - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MiTitanium Triathlon - Full Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Rapids, Michigan
United States
Tris4Health
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 14h 03m 39s
Overall Rank = 42/70
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Well, for some crazy reason this was the first race that I slept well before. I had been hit by a car three weeks earlier so I was just feeling blessed to be able to race. I had no expectations going in only that I would give the best my body was going to give me. I woke up rested and excited to race.

I had my usual bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Sipped on a gatorade up until about an hour before and then took my UCAN about 30 mins before the swim.
Event warmup:

Just got everything settled and my bags distributed. The volunteers were a great help and helped calm an nerves with my concerns about my transitions bags. Got in my wetsuit and checked out the water.
Swim
  • 1h 26m 9s
  • 4224 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

One of my best swims. I had no issues with my wetsuit. Seems I finally found one that works for me and that I feel comfortable in. I started off in the back right to avoid the chaos and use the first 400 to get warmed up and my breathing under control. I did okay on drafting. I drafted when I could but probably could have done better. First loop was surprisingly faster than I guess I really expected which gave me a great boost going into the second loop. Had a little trouble on the second loop with navigation and dealing with some traffic that I caught up with but once clear I was on a roll again. I think the traffic navigation is the only reason my second split was longer.
What would you do differently?:

I might sight a little more and work on moving around people and in T1 figured out I should have put more body glide on my neck.
Transition 1
  • 08m 5s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers are awesome!! I wanted to gather my self in this transition. The volunteers were an awesome help. Only regret I had was I didn't put enough body glide on the back of my neck for the wetsuit and went to spray sunscreen and felt like a I had an open wound and put alcohol on it.
Bike
  • 6h 57m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a really good ride I thought but was longer than I was hoping for. The course was pretty nice with some nice rollers (for me anyway) and a couple of longer hills that tested me. One of the hills was short and steep and got me in the wrong gear the first loop. The support along the course was awesome and I got to see my family 4 times which was a great mental boost especially on the second loop. It rained on the course twice and slowed things a little. On the second loop on an uphill I lost control trying to reach for a bottle and fell over. I am not sure if this is when I got the flat or it was already starting but I got up and continued on after making sure all was good with the bike. Then about less than a mile or two down the road I got the feeling I had a flat and there it was. Flat took me way to long to change but it was my first time with aero tires and Conti's. The course officials were awesome and checked on me and said they would let the bike support know I may still be there and to look for me. I got the flat fixed and went on my way. Took me a bit to get the legs churning again. I lost about 15 mins or so fixing the flat. WAY to long! I got in a groove and finished the final lap just trying to stay in a good heart rate as the wind picked up and another scattered shower came through. Overall I think I could have pushed it but didn't want to lose my legs before I got on the run.

Maybe push a little more and practice changing flats.
Transition 2
  • 08m 56s
Comments:

I loved that they took the bike from you and racked it for you. Transition went well. Volunteers had my bag ready for me as I came in the tent and were a great help. Adding the heavy duty wipes to get some of the sweet off and just feel cleaner was an awesome addition to the bag.

Not much on this one. I felt it went really well.
Run
  • 5h 19m 58s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

It sucked! I just could never get the legs moving like I expected. Some it is was probably mental. I got better about running from station to station after the first loop. Mentally I should have sucked it up a little more. I was never winded but more just heavy legs. Volunteers were great and everyone racing was encouraging too! Even the guy I saw puking gave me a thumbs up and said keep going.

I got to finish with the family crossing the line with me which I will never forget! They were a big part of me getting there and without their support I wouldn't have made it this far.

Not sure. I am working with my coach to figure it out but I know I could have done better. This was by far my slowest marathon ever but a little expected after swimming and biking. Some of it may just have been mental and I need to get stronger there.
Post race
Warm down:

Just hung out with family and some friends I made on the course and congratulated others as they came in. Got a little food and then headed home to.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting hit by a car three weeks out LOL ;) Seriously though I did a lot better than I expected considering my situation. It was a great learning experience and I will apply what I learned form this one to get faster.

Event comments:

I would totally do this race again! The location is great and the volunteers were awesome. Having family live close by and come and support is amazing and was a big boost to me finishing. I will always remember this one.

Last updated: 2016-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:09 | 4224 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 39/70
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy sleevless
Course: Double loop of oblong triangle in a clear spring fed old sand/gravel pit.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:57:33 | 112 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 42/70
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Double lollipop loop. The main road had a nice wide shoulder for biking. Once you got on the back country roads you could hit some rough patches but not anything I am not used to riding. Thank goodness for 25mm tires on the rough sections
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:19:58 | 26.2 miles | 12m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 44/70
Performance: Below average
Average HR 152. Lap1 1:14:23 AVG Pace 11:21 Lap2 1:22:01 avg pace 12:31 Lap3 1:23:00 avg pace 12:38 Lap3 1:19:17 avg pace 12:12
Course: 4 loop out and back closed course that was 70-80 percent shaded. Course was mostly flat with a couple of rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-09-12 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Subject: MiTitanium Triathlon - Full Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MiTitanium Triathlon - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MiTitanium Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by jdmitch_BOPer
Views: 1081 Posts: 1

2015-08-24 7:58 AM jdmitch_BOPer

MiTitanium - Half Iron Course

Started by jjzeilstra
Views: 742 Posts: 1

2013-09-10 7:38 AM jjzeilstra

MiTitanium - Half Iron Course

Started by therevev
Views: 951 Posts: 1

2013-09-09 2:18 PM therevev

HITS Triathlon Series: Hunter Mountain - Full Iron Course

Started by arnenes
Views: 1670 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 9:09 PM arnenes

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course

Started by mac3116
Views: 1676 Posts: 3

2012-03-28 2:44 PM mac3116
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.