2016-10-03 10:51 AM

Subject: 4 rides, 3 flats
Not had a lot of time to ride outside.
5 weeks
4 rides
3 flats
2 wheelsets
1 not terribly upset rider

A couple weeks ago, I posted about flatting out on my rear tire twice within a week.
First flat: 'used bike', no clue of condition
Second Flat: tube was at least a year old, sitting curled up in a seat bag, under who knows what conditions.
Checked tire, rim tape, etc. Nothing. Not too worried as I was getting new wheels.

Fast forward:
New wheels. New Tubes, New tires. Same results.

Anyway....this is why I am almost sure it was road hazard. There was one of those 'seams/joints' where they had resurfaced one lane, then another. And that seem has become quite separated...and jagged. It's not like just a 3/4" seem. It look to be more like 2-3 inches and quite irregular. I distinctly remember seeing that thinking...."please, please please.....don't let me get caught in that....there's no telling what it could do".

And yep.....stuck. Rear wheel. The front wheel was fine. I was getting bounced around and I almost felt like I was sort of sideways, like a plane 'crabs' when landing. I remember even thinking, that is going to blow my tire, or worse....bang up my new wheel. 2 seconds later....I could feel the flat.

The sidewall of the tire took some serious abuse. Not sure if it's just some surface damage or not, but I will likely replace it in the spring.
I can see where the new rim took some abuse. Nothing that has me bummed over the cost of it. I did Dremel out what felt like a touch of 'sharpness' where the tire 'clinches'....probably not even likely to touch tube. Nothing more than a scratch in the soft aluminum (it'll happen, I do some aluminum manufacturing...more like a burr than anything).

Not frustrated. Other than my thumbs hurt from putting on 2 new tires, fixing one flat....then taking one off again to examine it and put it back on again...all in the course of less than 12 hours.

2016-10-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: 4 rides, 3 flats

Originally posted by jhaack39 Not had a lot of time to ride outside. 5 weeks 4 rides 3 flats 2 wheelsets 1 not terribly upset rider A couple weeks ago, I posted about flatting out on my rear tire twice within a week. First flat: 'used bike', no clue of condition Second Flat: tube was at least a year old, sitting curled up in a seat bag, under who knows what conditions. Checked tire, rim tape, etc. Nothing. Not too worried as I was getting new wheels. Fast forward: New wheels. New Tubes, New tires. Same results. Anyway....this is why I am almost sure it was road hazard. There was one of those 'seams/joints' where they had resurfaced one lane, then another. And that seem has become quite separated...and jagged. It's not like just a 3/4" seem. It look to be more like 2-3 inches and quite irregular. I distinctly remember seeing that thinking...."please, please please.....don't let me get caught in that....there's no telling what it could do". And yep.....stuck. Rear wheel. The front wheel was fine. I was getting bounced around and I almost felt like I was sort of sideways, like a plane 'crabs' when landing. I remember even thinking, that is going to blow my tire, or worse....bang up my new wheel. 2 seconds later....I could feel the flat. The sidewall of the tire took some serious abuse. Not sure if it's just some surface damage or not, but I will likely replace it in the spring. I can see where the new rim took some abuse. Nothing that has me bummed over the cost of it. I did Dremel out what felt like a touch of 'sharpness' where the tire 'clinches'....probably not even likely to touch tube. Nothing more than a scratch in the soft aluminum (it'll happen, I do some aluminum manufacturing...more like a burr than anything). Not frustrated. Other than my thumbs hurt from putting on 2 new tires, fixing one flat....then taking one off again to examine it and put it back on again...all in the course of less than 12 hours.

Next time throw your tire in the dryer for 5-10 minutes before you mount it.........makes life more enjoyable for your thumbs.

2016-10-03 11:12 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by Left Brain

Next time throw your tire in the dryer for 5-10 minutes before you mount it.........makes life more enjoyable for your thumbs.

Mind blown!

To the OP. Make sure you aren't pinching your fresh tube when you install it. I had that problem w/ new tires because they were super tight and I was a noob.
2016-10-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Left Brain

For the last effort last night, I enlisted my son. Now, if I could just get him to mow the lawn.

FYI....that intersection....
Just east of the old SBR location.
That bike lane ends in the right turn only lane.....only to reappear 2 lanes over....with a nasty crack throw in for good measure.
Actually, in 100% honest, I feel less anxious on a bike than I do in a car. SOME people are decent to cyclists. We complain about drivers being jerks to cyclists....and while many are......some are pretty cool about ot. 100% of drivers are jerks to 100% of other drivers. And for the love of all that's holy, why can't people in this town learn to merge?

That whole stretch blows....
The bike lane just west of there has two MASSIVE potholes in it.
I mean like....10" deep. Straight down. Not like 'bowl' shaped. More like sinkholes. If you hit either of them, you are going over your handlebars and your tires and rims are done for.

If you're going to have a bike lane.....and want me to stay out of traffic....maybe....just maybe fill some of those holes? It's not like they opened up this year. They've been there for two years.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-10-03 11:26 AM
2016-10-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

To top it off.....
It was a bit of a shoot show.
I have one of those plastic inflators. You know the kind. Not the little metal nibs. The kind that are two part screw together thingies and cost about $6.

And, while it has seen a lot of use lately....it's not well built. The 'head/nozzle/working portion' kept blowing itself apart. Finding little O-rings and metal threaded collars in a grassy area? I was very lucky. Usually, I don't have that kind of luck when I lose little bits and bobs.

I had to take it and bang it against the curb...put a chunk of concrete on it and stand on it with full weight to try to swedge it all back together. I'm not gonna lie about this part, there was some MacGyver going on.

And while that sucked, and I cut my ride short by 25 miles and I was wearing the butyl bandolier yet again.....

The wheels have to be faster. I recorded my highest non-moped assisted speed on a bike ever.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 4 rides, 3 flats Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hilly Rides for Flat Training

Started by champard
Views: 1244 Posts: 8

2014-08-21 3:24 PM noofus

2 rides, 2 flats

Started by E-Dub
Views: 1228 Posts: 5

2010-09-10 10:26 PM Parr8hed

3 Rides, 3 Flat Tires

Started by Need2Breathe
Views: 1077 Posts: 9

2010-04-20 7:37 PM Oldteen

climbing or riding the flats?

Started by Beanster
Views: 1025 Posts: 19

2009-06-16 1:46 PM SevenZulu

another ride, another flat!

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 911 Posts: 8

2006-05-02 4:58 PM Global
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Push-Up - Flat Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?
date : July 5, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The company’s first two offerings are an aerodynamic hydration system and a saddle bag repair kit. PodiumQuest sets itself apart by paying attention to the little things.

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
My right foot is killing me (flat feet, wearing orthotics). I can no longer run on it and am forced to walk. After walking 10k, my foot felt like it was squeezed really hard.