BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-05-31 7:56 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Hi everyone,
I guess I'll just be late to the party, but I wanted especially to say Hi to the ones I know from last year--George & Janet & Scott, who is keeping me so busy with individual coaching I scarcely have time to browse social media.
This is my first year racing as a 70-year old, and I'm heading to AG Nationals, Olympic Distance, in August. I have learned a thing or 2 about training as a "person with age," which is entirely different from an "old person," which I don't plan to ever become.
I never did any swimming, biking, or running until I was 62 years old, except for a little dabbling around. No competitive sports, actually; I grew up pre Title 9. There's hope for everybody.
Married 38 years; 3 1/2 children, age 13-37. The 20-year old lives at home & attends college, and the 13-year old lives here half time. We live in a small town in rural upstate NY.
My first tri of the season, an Olympic (although we tend to call them "Intermediate" around here) is in less than 2 weeks. I've done 2 running races already this year, a miler & a 10K. I continue to get faster despite adding years. It helps to have started late.
Cheers everyone & good luck in your training & racing.
Deb

2017-05-31 11:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Kelly, I haven't registered for Oliver.  I went to the website to register and for the first time ever they show the Sprint and Olympic are sold out and the best I can do is go on a waitlist and wait until the morning of the race.  So then I thought I could sign up for the HIM Aquabike on Sunday.  So I went online tonight and the Aquabike shows, "Closed".  It wasn't closed just yesterday.  So now I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing this weekend.

Dorm - Have a good race Saturday.  It does sound like fun.  I like to travel to but always glad to get home.

David - Your problem does sound frustrating.  Hopefully your training and Sprint will go well.

Deb - Good to hear from you.  I think of you everytime I sit on my bike.  You do sound busy and it is great to hear you are getting stronger and faster.  I seem to be going the wrong way and getting slower.

Edited by wenceslasz 2017-05-31 11:26 PM
2017-05-31 11:14 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by triosaurus Hey everyone, Curtis --what distance is your race? Good luck, and have a great time!  

I think you already saw this on another forum but I will be trying something a little shorter this time.  It will be an Olympic.  The 70.3 races can get a little long for me so the Olympic distance may work out better for me.  I will know in a few days. 

2017-06-01 9:22 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Glad to meet you Deb. I will be at the AG Nationals also. Hope to see you there...
2017-06-02 12:40 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

George - I would think the online registration is closed....usually happens several days prior to a race, but if you email Angie she will get back to you. You may very well still be able to register with her. If you do get in, Good Luck

Curtis -- Have an awesome experience!

Dorm -- Have fun in the 5k.
re: the wart - my son had plantar warts, and dry-ice treatment at the dr office took care of them . We tried several otc treatments, none of which were effective.

2017-06-02 12:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Deb

Nice to meet you - you are a rock star and an inspiration! Best of luck in your new AG

2017-06-02 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey guys!  Been a while for me too since I've been on here - work/family/training has been keeping me busy.  Feeling a bit like George lately - like I've been going backwards instead of forwards, but it's just temporary.  I've been working with a coach who has been pushing me more that I would have pushed myself to get ready for my HIM in September.  But that's a good thing - it's why I asked him to work with me in the first place.  He's made some changes to my swim (which was horrible and needed improvement!) and my run (using the MAF method which is very slow right now but will make me a better runner in the end).  

Deb - congrats on AG Nationals!  

To anyone racing this weekend - good luck and enjoy your race!

I'll be volunteering at a kid's tri on Sunday morning. It's always so much fun to see them out there having such a good time.   
Janet

2017-06-03 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I very much enjoyed doing the "Run the Quay" event this morning.  It was my best time for a 5k, albeit most of the 5k's I've done are at the end of a Tri.  Still ... faster is faster.  We had a group do the event together - one daughter, SIL and some friends and we all had a ball.

Deb, welcome back ... its good to have you back again.

Hope all have a good weekend!

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-06-04 2:05 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Hi noldowny!
What's your AG? And what's your name?
And I don't know trisaurus' name either. Maybe people could sign their posts?
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2017-06-04 2:09 PM
2017-06-04 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ok2try

Hi noldowny!
What's your AG? And what's your name?
And I don't know trisaurus' name either. Maybe people could sign their posts?
Deb

Deb
My name is Kelly (male version) ...will be 54 in 2 weeks..

kelly
2017-06-04 4:22 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Hello everyone! I've been gone from the forum for a while. Like everyone else, life seems to keep getting in the way!

I did my first tri for the year yesterday - a sprint in Cooperstown. I was about 11 minutes slower than last year but considering I haven't run in about 6 weeks I'm very happy with my time. I've been battling Achilles tendonitis in my right ankle which then decided to jump to the left ankle. Although this last week both ankles have felt back to normal I thought I'd either quit after the bike or walk/run the run. I felt great through the race and when I came to the run I took it real easy probably walking almost half of it. But the good news is that I had no problems with either Achilles so I'm optimistic I can return to running. I did real good on my swim even though the water was only 61 degrees and the air temp was 43! So I'm happy with the effort!

I'll post a race report after they post the race times. I screwed up my watch so I don't know all of my times.

2017-06-05 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Cycling Tours - US??

This is a bit off topic, but has anyone in the group done a 'bike tour' vacation?  My wife and I have friends who like to travel, but neither wife cycles.  I'm looking to do a 4-day trip in the US somewhere.  I've read some on this and there are many tour companies out there that arrange lodging, equipment, SAG support and some food and drink.  Most have a "single" option wherein you pay extra to have a private room.  With the private room, we have accommodations and the wives come too and do their thing while we're out on the road.  Some of the US regions are in the Pacific Northwest, California Wine Country, Northeast as in Vermont and Maine, et al. 

Anyway, if ones here have done this, your thoughts or experiences are appreciated. I'll post this in the "general" forum also for feedback as well.

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2017-06-06 11:07 AM
2017-06-05 8:47 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by triosaurus Hey everyone, Curtis --what distance is your race? Good luck, and have a great time!  

I think you already saw this on another forum but I will be trying something a little shorter this time.  It will be an Olympic.  The 70.3 races can get a little long for me so the Olympic distance may work out better for me.  I will know in a few days. 

I had a good race.  

I got calf cramps on the swim and ended up a full 5 minutes over my goal on that leg.  Then my timing chip fell of the band during the wet suit peel which added about 15 seconds to my transition. 

My bike leg was the shining point of the day.  I got an aero helmet since my last race as well as some 2nd hand racing wheels.  The guy that I got the wheels from got a flat so he replaced the latex tube for Buna.  He also had some training quality tires.  I had tested these wheels for a week in training when I got them for my birthday 6 months ago and I was about 1/2 MPH faster on them.  A week before the race I put my Continental race tires on these wheels, put latex tubes one them, took all the extra gear off the bike that I used for training, etc.  Then I shave my legs, arms, and most of my beard (I kept some of it for fun.  I can't take Triathlon too seriously or the sport would become boring and I would lose interest).  Well all of the adjustments made me lightning fast.  I was 2 MPH faster on race day that I am in my time trials in training. I didn't even feel bad that I am still riding on platform pedals.  :-)  I did take one wrong turn that cost me about a minute so I could have been even a minute faster.  One guy that I passed told me that he came to Triathlon from a bike racing background.  I would have felt good about him telling me I was fast on the bike but I come from a competitive running background and he passed me in the last mile of the run.  :-)  

My T2 had problems when me and a few other people all exited the wrong side of the Transition area and had to go back though and out the other way.  Another 30 seconds lost.

My run leg was about 2 minutes over my goal time.  That is about 15 minutes closer to my goal time than I have been on my last two races though so I think that I pretty much nailed the run.  If I had gone any faster I would have had cramping in my legs so the pace was right were it needed to be.  

So a top 10% bike leg, a top 10% run leg, and a bottom 20% swim leg.  That put me just in the top 25%.  Last year I focused on my cycling and it payed off big.  I DID do more swimming this year than the year before, but I guess over the next year the swim is going to need a lot more work. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-06-05 8:53 AM
2017-06-05 9:32 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Curtis ... really nice job.  I would love to have your speed on the bike.  I've never had a "perfect" race - meaning I always wind up doing something before or during the race that slows me a bit.  And yes ... I've gone thru the wrong gate in transition as well.  It sounds like you were well prepared though, given the efforts you went through for the bike leg, and knowing and sticking to your pace for the run leg.

It is funny though ... every time I feel like I'm getting too serious about something I wind up shaving my legs as well

Congrats again on the strong performance ...

Ciao - Dorm

2017-06-05 12:10 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Guys,

Another that has been awol....

I've done nothing for the past two weeks, getting to end of term so paperwork/marking etc etc has ramped up.

I have 16 weeks to go and 'really' need to get my act together.
Hit the pool this morning and did 1km, slow and splashy but moving forward.
Week 16 Day2 of the BT 1/2 plan tomorrow, busyish day at work tomorrow so will see how it go.

Well done to all those continuing their training, its keeps us mortals going

Adrian

Edited by adbru 2017-06-05 12:11 PM
2017-06-05 4:31 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Dorm57

Curtis ... really nice job.  I would love to have your speed on the bike.  I've never had a "perfect" race - meaning I always wind up doing something before or during the race that slows me a bit.  And yes ... I've gone thru the wrong gate in transition as well.  It sounds like you were well prepared though, given the efforts you went through for the bike leg, and knowing and sticking to your pace for the run leg.

It is funny though ... every time I feel like I'm getting too serious about something I wind up shaving my legs as well

Ciao - Dorm

Thanks! Here are my before and after photos of my "race eve" shave.   You are probably thinking the beard shaving alone is what made up for most the difference in the 2 MPH and the wheels, areo gear, etc. were significantly less.  :-)

2017-06-06 8:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus

Scott - how goes everything lately?

kelly

Wow, has it really been 10-days since I've been in the forum?  Sorry everyone.  Work has been crazy busy.

Kelly, I'm doing well, thanks for asking.  I'm back to a full training schedule.  However, I made the decision to pass on a 140.6 this year.  My fitness took a pretty good hit when I was in the hospital.  I probably could have gotten back however other things have been going on that caused me to take a good hard look at priorities.  I'm in the process of winding down my I.T. business and ramping up my coaching business.  That's where I ultimately want to be. Coaching is my passion and simply put, it isn't work.  I.T. on the other hand is hours of boredom followed by seconds of sheer terror.  I'm getting old enough I no longer enjoy that kind of stress.  When I looked at the big picture, I realized, given I'd lost a good deal of fitness and the season was in question at best, that I had an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive.  While I am still doing some I.T. work, I no longer consider myself an I.T. guy that does a little coaching on the side - instead, I now consider myself a Triathlon Coach that does a little I.T. stuff on the side.  I am very much looking forward to I.T. being in the rear view mirror.

Speaking of rear view mirror.  My wife and I are planning to move back to Indiana.  We have been talking about it for a couple years.  My wife began collecting Social Security a couple months ago in preparation for us moving.  Sadly, her knee has flared up.  The orthopedic surgeon says she really can't wait any longer and has to have the knee replaced.  We were hoping to be on the road before summer but now it looks like she won't be done with surgery and recovery until early to mid October.  That means, depending upon weather, we may or may not be able to actually move until Spring - we aren't too excited about moving when snow is a concern.

Now, I have to see if I can get caught up on all the posts!

2017-06-09 6:42 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try Hi everyone, I guess I'll just be late to the party, but I wanted especially to say Hi to the ones I know from last year--George & Janet & Scott, who is keeping me so busy with individual coaching I scarcely have time to browse social media. This is my first year racing as a 70-year old, and I'm heading to AG Nationals, Olympic Distance, in August. I have learned a thing or 2 about training as a "person with age," which is entirely different from an "old person," which I don't plan to ever become. I never did any swimming, biking, or running until I was 62 years old, except for a little dabbling around. No competitive sports, actually; I grew up pre Title 9. There's hope for everybody. Married 38 years; 3 1/2 children, age 13-37. The 20-year old lives at home & attends college, and the 13-year old lives here half time. We live in a small town in rural upstate NY. My first tri of the season, an Olympic (although we tend to call them "Intermediate" around here) is in less than 2 weeks. I've done 2 running races already this year, a miler & a 10K. I continue to get faster despite adding years. It helps to have started late. Cheers everyone & good luck in your training & racing. Deb

Welcome back Deb! 

For those of you that don't know Deb, she is one of the most dedicated Age-Group triathletes I have ever known.  I have a little saying - WWDD - what would Deb do.  When I have a bad day, a tough training, or just plain don't want to go workout, I just say WWDD out loud.

Deb I think I speak for all that know you when I say we look forward to your continued inspiration.

2017-06-09 6:46 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Updates

Originally posted by noldowney 

All in all a good result and nothing major so I can continue to train for August. I have another sprint coming up on Father's day to see if I am continuing to progress.

David

David,

That's great news!  Good luck on Father's day!

2017-06-09 6:49 PM
in reply to: noldowney

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by noldowney Glad to meet you Deb. I will be at the AG Nationals also. Hope to see you there...

We should set up a Gray Guys/Gals dinner.  I know Deb will be there, you will be there, I'll be there.  Be nice to put faces to names.

We have a couple months to set something up.  Anyone else going to be in Omaha?

2017-06-09 6:52 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001

Hello everyone! I've been gone from the forum for a while. Like everyone else, life seems to keep getting in the way!

I did my first tri for the year yesterday - a sprint in Cooperstown. I was about 11 minutes slower than last year but considering I haven't run in about 6 weeks I'm very happy with my time. I've been battling Achilles tendonitis in my right ankle which then decided to jump to the left ankle. Although this last week both ankles have felt back to normal I thought I'd either quit after the bike or walk/run the run. I felt great through the race and when I came to the run I took it real easy probably walking almost half of it. But the good news is that I had no problems with either Achilles so I'm optimistic I can return to running. I did real good on my swim even though the water was only 61 degrees and the air temp was 43! So I'm happy with the effort!

I'll post a race report after they post the race times. I screwed up my watch so I don't know all of my times.

Chris,

Good job.  That's called tenacity in the face of adversity!  Good job.  Looking forward to the race report.

2017-06-09 7:08 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Cycling Tours - US??

This is a bit off topic, but has anyone in the group done a 'bike tour' vacation?  My wife and I have friends who like to travel, but neither wife cycles.  I'm looking to do a 4-day trip in the US somewhere.  I've read some on this and there are many tour companies out there that arrange lodging, equipment, SAG support and some food and drink.  Most have a "single" option wherein you pay extra to have a private room.  With the private room, we have accommodations and the wives come too and do their thing while we're out on the road.  Some of the US regions are in the Pacific Northwest, California Wine Country, Northeast as in Vermont and Maine, et al. 

Anyway, if ones here have done this, your thoughts or experiences are appreciated. I'll post this in the "general" forum also for feedback as well.

Ciao ... Dorm

Hey Dorm,

I've not done any formal tours, however, back when I was in college one of my friends and I did several longer rides up the coast of California, from Los Angeles to San Francisco - about 400 miles.  We'd take a week and just take our time.

Another buddy and I are hoping, loosely planning a coast to coast ride.  From Los Angeles to Orlando, FL.  Neither of our wives ride, but they are all too happy to spend the day sightseeing and shopping.  Our idea at this point is to cover roughly 100 miles per day.  We'll start out in the morning and "our support crew" will start a couple hours later.  They'll just drive through to the next stop.  We're figuring a month or so to go the 2,500 miles.  That's the problem right now, trying to figure out how we can get away for a month.

Good luck finding something!  Let me know how it goes.

2017-06-09 7:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

A week before the race I put my Continental race tires on these wheels, put latex tubes one them, took all the extra gear off the bike that I used for training, etc.  Then I shave my legs, arms, and most of my beard (I kept some of it for fun.  I can't take Triathlon too seriously or the sport would become boring and I would lose interest).  Well all of the adjustments made me lightning fast.  I was 2 MPH faster on race day that I am in my time trials in training. I didn't even feel bad that I am still riding on platform pedals.  :-) . . .

So a top 10% bike leg, a top 10% run leg, and a bottom 20% swim leg.  That put me just in the top 25%.  Last year I focused on my cycling and it payed off big.  I DID do more swimming this year than the year before, but I guess over the next year the swim is going to need a lot more work. 

Great race Curtis!

It's amazing what shaving the beard did for you! 

The key to the swim is frequency.  Say you are going to swim 3 hours per week.  I'd rather see you do four 45-minute workouts than three 1-hour workouts or two one and a half hour workouts.  The more frequently you are in the water, the more efficiently you will "become a fish."

2017-06-09 7:45 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by adbru

Hi Guys, Another that has been awol....

I've done nothing for the past two weeks, getting to end of term so paperwork/marking etc etc has ramped up.

I have 16 weeks to go and 'really' need to get my act together. Hit the pool this morning and did 1km, slow and splashy but moving forward. Week 16 Day2 of the BT 1/2 plan tomorrow, busyish day at work tomorrow so will see how it go.

Well done to all those continuing their training, its keeps us mortals going

Adrian

Adrian,

Been there!  Done that!  I've said those very same words more times then I care to admit.

The thing that helped me get on tract the most was when I made triathlon a priority.  Obviously I had to work and had family commitments, but I made triathlon a priority and let everyone know that it was important to me.  I quite literally blocked out time on my calendar (I live off the calendar in Outlook).  NOTHING was allowed to interfere with that time.  If I missed a workout, it was only because I chose to miss the workout.  Once I'd placed that type of emphasis on my training, it became much easier to get the workouts done.

Good luck!

2017-06-09 7:48 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Ciao - Dorm

Thanks! Here are my before and after photos of my "race eve" shave.   You are probably thinking the beard shaving alone is what made up for most the difference in the 2 MPH and the wheels, areo gear, etc. were significantly less.  :-)

LOL, undoubtedly!  See my earlier post!  All that other stuff is just hype!  The beard - now that's true drag reduction.  I mean really, how many fish have you seen with a beard?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.