BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2017-01-06 9:36 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group -- OPEN

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by soccermom15

Scott (or anyone else who might want to answer) - I have started doing some of my bike training using virtual power.  I did an initial FTP test about 8 weeks ago (not telling you the number, it's embarrassingly low ), and when I do my rides, the "report" at the end gives me average power and normalized power.  The NP # is usually higher.  What's the difference?  And which # should I be looking at?  

Janet,

Good question!

Imagine for a moment that you did a 60-minute ride on your trainer.  You did the ride as a steady state ride with no variance at all.  At the end, your average power was 150 watts.  Now, imagine the next day, you rode outdoors for an hour on a hilly course.  In addition to going up and down the hills, you added a couple of intervals followed with very easy spinning to recover.  At the end of the ride, it all averaged out to 150 watts.  According to average power, the two rides were identical.  However, in reality, the ride with the hills and intervals would have felt harder.  Normalized power attempts to quantify the physiological cost of a variable intensity ride.

The first imaginary ride above would have had avg power and NP that were very close because it was a steady state ride.  The second imaginary ride, the one with the hills and the intervals, would have a higher NP because of the variation.  A higher NP shows the ride had a lot of variation and that the ride was physiologically harder than average power indicates.

As to which number you should be looking at.  During a ride when you are attempting to hit power targets, you should be using average power.  NP is a metric that is most used after the fact when analyzing the ride data.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Scott, that helps a lot.  Makes sense now why 2 rides of approximately the same length can have similar average power but very different normalized power (comparing a base building ride to an interval or hill ride).  

Janet

2017-01-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: #5209197

User image

Regular
Hi all.
Hill session on bike today.
Cycled to the hill, up it then back down. Then up again.
Then couple of miles gentle spinning to get home.
Hills and me are not friends so need to work on that lol.
Train safe guys
Adbru
2017-01-06 1:14 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by soccermom15

Originally posted by k9car363

Now, imagine the next day, you rode outdoors for an hour on a hilly course.  In addition to going up and down the hills, you added a couple of intervals followed with very easy spinning to recover.  

Thanks Scott, that helps a lot.  Makes sense now why 2 rides of approximately the same length can have similar average power but very different normalized power (comparing a base building ride to an interval or hill ride).  

Janet

Here is an extreme example of what Scott said http://tpks.ws/L2cKK

1h20 ride, quick warm up and up and down hills. Ups were close to 300, downs were 0.

Average power = 196w, NP = 259w. This is as extreme as it gets

Reality is it was a lot harder than 196 but a lot easier than 259

Fro training, the high NP number is good because that is what determines training load

For racing NP should be as close to AP as possible, but on a course like this would be very difficult to do.
2017-01-06 7:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by marcag

Here is an extreme example of what Scott said http://tpks.ws/L2cKK

1h20 ride, quick warm up and up and down hills. Ups were close to 300, downs were 0.

Average power = 196w, NP = 259w. This is as extreme as it gets

Reality is it was a lot harder than 196 but a lot easier than 259

Fro training, the high NP number is good because that is what determines training load

For racing NP should be as close to AP as possible, but on a course like this would be very difficult to do.

80 minutes - 113.2 TSS - 0.92 IF - 2,736 of vertical

Yeah that ride got your attention!

Edited by k9car363 2017-01-07 4:20 AM
2017-01-06 7:39 PM
in reply to: AkronChet

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AkronChet

My question is whether to purchase a beginner full suit or the short john? I am probably only going to be racing local in Ohio during the tri season.

You might consider renting until you've done a couple of events.  Here is a link to a reputable company that provides rentals.  This particular company will apply the cost of the rental to the purchase of the wetsuit if you choose to buy it.  Kind of a nice way to make sure it fits properly!

http://www.trisports.com/trisports-rental-wetsuits.html

As to full wetsuit or shorty, you are in Ohio.  It gets cold up there.  You will probably want a full wetsuit.

2017-01-06 9:21 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Everyone,

There have been a couple of references to using heart rate to guide training and a couple of you have asked questions so I thought I’d cover some of the basics of heart rate zones and using them in training.

A little disclaimer – this is REALLY basic ‘cause I don’t want to bore you all to death.  If you are looking for more in-depth, send me a private message.

Before we talk about heart rate zones it’s important to have at least a basic understanding of human energy pathways – that’s why we use heart rate to guide our training, so we are training a specific energy pathway.

For our purposes in this discussion, there are two primary energy pathways at work – the aerobic energy system and the anaerobic energy system (there are more but we aren’t in a biology class!).

The aerobic energy system uses fat and oxygen to create energy.  The drawback to the aerobic system is that it is somewhat slow.  It can’t quickly create huge amounts of energy but because it utilizes fat, it has a virtually unlimited source of fuel.

The anaerobic energy system uses carbohydrate to create energy in the absence of oxygen.  It is fast and can create large amounts of energy.  However, a by-product of the anaerobic energy system is lactate.  We could talk about lactate for the next couple of hours, but for our purposes right now, the thing to know about lactate is that it dissociates in the muscles and bloodstream to a lactate ion and an H+ ion.  That H+ ion creates lactic acid – that burning you feel in your muscles when you exercise very hard.  Another limitation of the anaerobic energy system is that, because it uses carbohydrate in the form of glycogen stored in the muscles, there is a very limited supply of fuel – you CAN exhaust the fuel supply.

Contrary to what many believe, the human body utilizes BOTH energy systems all the time.  Even when you are sleeping, your body is burning both fat and carbohydrate.  It is the proportion of fat and carbohydrate that changes as exercise intensity increases.  At low exercise intensity, you are burning primarily fat and a small amount of carbohydrate; as intensity increases, the ratio changes until you are burning primarily carbohydrate and some fat.  It’s very important to remember that “fat burns in a carbohydrate fire.”  What that means is, even at very low exercise intensity when you are burning primarily fat, if you run out of carbohydrate, you will no longer be able to utilize fat – you will “hit the wall.”

At the most basic level, when we are using heart rate to guide our training, we are attempting to create specific physiological adaptations to those energy pathways. 

So how do we do that?

Short of extensive lab testing, the best way to determine your heart rate zones is by performing a Lactate Threshold Heart Rate field test (DO NOT use 220-age to determine your maximum heart rate, this will most likely be wrong).

To find your LTHR do a 30-minute time trial all by yourself (no training partners and not in a race). It should be done as if it was a race for the entire 30 minutes. But at 10 minutes into the test click the lap button on your heart rate monitor. When done look to see what your average heart rate was for the last 20 minutes. That number is an approximation of your LTHR.

***If you cannot run for 30-minutes, see below to determine your aerobic threshold heart rate***

Using your LTHR, calculate your training zones using the following - from Joe Friel’s ‘Triathlete’s Training Bible  -

Run Zones
Zone 1 Less than 85% of LTHR
Zone 2 85% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 94% of LTHR
Zone 4 95% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR

Bike Zones
Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR
Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR
Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR

Zone 2 will train your body to more efficiently utilize fat for energy by stimulating mitochondrial growth within the cells.  Zone 2 training also improves type-I muscle fibers ability to clear lactate which is key for athletic performance.

Zone 4 training will increase your lactate threshold – meaning you can do more work at the same heart rate.

As a general guide –

Running should be mostly Z2 and some Z4 training.

Cycling should be mostly Z4/Z5 training and some Z2 – with occasional Z3 rides (a discussion for another day).

Swimming doesn’t utilize heart rate training.  For swimming you will need to determine your swim threshold pace (another discussion for another day).

***IF YOU CAN'T RUN CONTINUOUSLY FOR 30-MINUTES***

If you can't run continuously for 30-minutes you should not attempt a Lactate Threshold Heart Rate field test.  In place of the test, I suggest you use the Phil Maffeton Maximum Aerobic Function heart rate to determine your aerobic threshold and use that to guide your training until you can run continuously for 30 mintues. (from Maffetone 180-Formula)

• Subtract your age from 180
  •  If you have or are recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation or hospital stay, etc.) or are on any regular medication, subtract an additional 10.
  • If you are injured, have regressed in training or competition, get more than two colds or bouts of flu per year, have allergies or asthma, or if you have been inconsistent or are just getting back into training, subtract an additional 5

The result will be the high end of your training zone.  Subtract 5 to determine the lower limit.

For example -

You are 47 - 180-47=133

You are just getting back in to training - 133-5=128

Your aerobic HR training zone would be 123-128.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Edited by k9car363 2017-01-06 10:11 PM

2017-01-06 9:48 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Friday Training

50 minutes in the pool today - 

• 800 WU
  • 3 x [100-200-400-200-100]. 15" RI, 2' between sets
  • 200 CD

60 minutes on the trainer -

After WU, 4 x 10' starting at 85%, increase 5% each interval, 2' recovery

2017-01-06 9:59 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by adbru

Hills and me are not friends so need to work on that lol.

Adrian,

You're doing the right thing.  The best way to get good at riding hills is by riding hills!

2017-01-06 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Let's Get this Party Started - pt II
Hello everyone

Here is a bit about me - 53 years old, always been active, with a passion for track and field from a young age. During university, I moved up from running 100 and 200m to becoming a sort of middle-distance runner...400 up to 1000 for racing. Did a number of 5km and 10km in my 20s. When I was about 30, I decided to try inline skating. both on ice as well as rollers. THAT was a blast.
Several years later , I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and that has been an up and down roller coaster It does seem to have been dealt with successfully.

I was married for 12 years, and am a proud dad of 2 kids who are pretty much grown (daughter 20,son 18) and have been divorced and single since 2004. So, lots of time to train...
Work for the local school district as a teacher.

My triathlon experience began 5 or 6 years ago with a local pool-swim sprint. I have done several sprints and one Oly since, tho summer of '16 I tweaked my back again and had to DNS what would have been my 2nd Oly.

Goals for the year - running a small local trail series of 4 races. This is a low-key event. First was 8km on January 1, in snow and on muddy forest trails. Lots of fun. The last one will be in late Feb, and will be a half-marathon distance.
I am trying to build consistency and resilience with the running, and will work towards the big goal for the year - Ironman Canada !! Gulp ... I cannot believe I admitted that to anyone I am committed now

I know that the sun will rise tomorrow, but that there is no guarantee that I will be here to enjoy it... The older I get, the more I appreciate life, and am grateful for my opportunity to be here, alive and healthy, so I have decided to go for it and enter IM this year, July 30.

I have an older trainer, as well as a treadmill, and the local pool is a short walk from home. Looking forward to being an active participant of this group, and welcome everyone's help and support.

kelly
2017-01-07 4:11 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by triosaurus

I am trying to build consistency and resilience with the running, and will work towards the big goal for the year - Ironman Canada !! Gulp ... I cannot believe I admitted that to anyone I am committed now

Thanks Kelly!

IM Canada!  You already stated the key to success - consistency.

Looking forward to watching your journey to the starting line and answering any questions I can.  This group is traditionally a great source of inspiration and support so don't hesitate to draw on that.

2017-01-07 5:30 AM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
Good luck for IM Canada !
5m long run for me today, furthest for around three years....

2017-01-07 10:55 AM

User image

Subject: Workouts
Friday 4.5 miles easyish pace - was running in light snow pack
I like to always try and run negative splits - but today was very even.
Based on some of the HR info above probably going to high on HR as avg was 155.

Saturday - 60 minutes on trainer - Sufferfest Downward Spiral
2 sets of intervals - start at 2 min on 2 off, 1:45 on 1:45 off, ... down 15 sec at time to 15 seconds.
avg HR 139

Maybe I can sneak in a pool workout later.

I think I have opened my log so that everyone can see it.

Good luck at IM Canada Kelly (now you are committed, as we will all cheer you on)
2017-01-07 4:58 PM

First, thank you for the information and explanation on LTHR. For the LTHR field test, can I do it on a treadmill?

2017-01-07 10:07 PM

Today's workout was a twilight indoor triathlon at a city recreation center near me. It was swim 20 minutes, bike 20 minutes and run 20 on indoor track. I don't have results yet but it felt good just to push myself. Made me realize how consistent I am going to have to be between now and June. I run and work out regularly but need to be better about swimming and biking earlier in the season. It was interesting how they measured the watts on the biking so now earlier posts make more sense to me. I enjoyed the opportunity to be around friendly and positive people that you meet at these events.
2017-01-07 11:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Kelly - thats a pretty exciting commitment.  You will have a lot of fun and I am looking forward to following your journey.  I did the IMCanada 70.3 last July and I begrudgingly really enjoyed it.  The lake was pretty decent for swimming, cool but not too cold.  I really enjoyed the run route.  It is somewhat similar to the Cultus Lake run with lots of shade and running along a lake just a fair bit longer.  I'd definitely like to go back again.

Are you considering any training races?  I know a lot of people do the Victoria half as a preparation race for Whistler.

Scott - A fellow I swim with told me today that he swims an extra 500m after each swim with the aim of increasing his swim fitness and lead to faster paces.  Is this a reasonable strategy or better to stick with the swims as the coach instructs and maybe swim more often?

Today I rode a 90 minute indoor spin ride.  It was pretty intense pace with very few easy minutes but I came off the bike and transitioned to run gear for a 20 minute run. I felt pretty good and had to resist the temptation to increase my pace above a Zn 2 effort.  I finished the run really wet but almost like a runner's high.  I seem to get the high feeling a lot.  It has to be a big factor in what keeps me consistent with my training.

Edited by wenceslasz 2017-01-08 12:12 AM
2017-01-07 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Chet - Sounds like your indoor triathlon was a good experience.  I agree the interaction with other athletes is a great motivator.  I always feel I get back way more positivity than I give.

2017-01-08 12:19 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Thanks everyone for the words of support - I am still wondering just WTH did I do??

My goal will be to 1) finish within the time limit, 2) finish without injury, and 3) any time goal will just be icing on the cake.

George I am looking at a couple of the local BC races : possibly the Nanaimo one in May, and I may go to Oliver to do the half in early June. Depends on work and travel logistics. Cultus at the end of June may also work.

I am looking at the BT beginner IM plan, which is 20 weeks, so for the time until that starts I will focus more on the run for the next two months (1/2 marathon trail run in late Feb) while doing some swim and bike, then do a more bike-focused block with some run and swim for several weeks, then start the 20-week IM training. I have limited swim experience, but seem to not struggle with it, so will do two swims a week for the next two months.

I am nervous, but excited about these big goals, and am really looking forward to reading about everyone's progress on your journeys!

kelly

2017-01-08 4:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by triosaurus

I am nervous, but excited about these big goals, and am really looking forward to reading about everyone's progress on your journeys!

kelly

I did my first full in 2016. At first it seemed so far away. Then with 3 months to go the reality set it and wondered if I would even start it given I did not have the focus I wanted to train for it.

Part of my work was to ride so I managed to get some good distance there. Swimming, although I am a decent swimmer, was the thing that concerned me the most because I would always train about 2k. I had to up that to 4k sessions which I did gradually and it was pretty easy (although boring).

It turned out just fine and I actually found it less difficult than I thought it would be. I am wondering if I'll do another.

Edited by marcag 2017-01-08 4:25 AM
2017-01-08 7:23 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Regular
Marcag - Well done on your first full, still seems a long way away for me ;-)

22.3miles on the bike today.
I wasn't sure what to do, feel free to discuss....
Last week should have been a 2 hour ride, I misjudged the route and only did 1:30.
This week should have been a 1 hour fallback ride, however I was concerned that I would then struggle stepping up to the 2:30 ride next week.

So I did 1:45 on legs which were toast from yesterdays long 5 mile run.
What would you have done today??

I feel good that I got the miles done, will see what the legs are like tomorrow
2017-01-08 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Maffetone Method and Cycling workouts

I've read about the Maffetone method over the years, and this appeals to me for running.  Given the formula, it would be difficult for me to actually run with my HR that low - I simply can't run and keep it that low!  So, for me it'd probably be a walk/run combo.  Could someone please elaborate on the process and how this plays out over time ... is there another way to calc the running HR threshold?  Can I use my cycling LTHR as basis for running? Also, does someone have a workout schedule for this method or, could I simply use one of the training plans here in the BT forum and apply the HR restrictions for this?  Or is it simply train, while running at <80% of my LTHR - all the time? 

Scott ... I noticed your comment re: cycle training and how "mostly it involves Z4 and Z5 level with some Z2".  Is this the case at the beginning of the training season?  I'm operating on a 2/3 - 1/3 basis, that 2/3's of my workouts would be Z2 - Z3 and  1/3 in Z4 - Z5 respectively.  I feel like I already have a pretty good base to work from, so should I be working harder?

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2017-01-08 11:17 AM
2017-01-08 11:12 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Maffetone Method and Cycling workouts
Originally posted by Dorm57
  • . is there another way to calc the running HR threshold? 

• Another way to do it is the use some of the 'pace calculators' like Daniel's or McMillan. They ask you to enter a race results and then give you training paces (in min/km or min/mile). Look at the easy or long paces. Just go out and run at that pace. Take a look where your HR is and that is an indicator of what your easy runs should be at. Let me know if you need help finding them

In terms of run plans it kind of depends on wether you have some type of focus right now (swim vs bike vs run). Personally, I find this time of year is perfect for mostly easy running. I try to do as much frequency as possible. I actually run every day right now. Volume through high frequency is ideal. Build a really good run base for more specific things later. Slowly as the season progress a long run day will evolve, and 2 'special' workouts will evolve and I'll move to one day off a week. As a matter of fact it's called a BarryP program and is well documented on ST. Let me know if you want more details

If you are doing a bike focus there is a really good plan here on BT from a guy named Jorge but it is mostly trainer based but there is an outdoor ride once per week. If that's of interest I could help you find it. Personally on the bike I am very Z2 and Z5 right now.

2017-01-08 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Raleigh, North Carolina

Thanks Marc.  Personally I struggle with the run and that stated - the run leg is my poorest sport.  I simply have to get better with this to improve my overall race results.  I think it may be that I go at it too hard and the ensuing joint soreness/pain just makes it totally unpleasant for me.  I'd like to give this Maffetone method a try as it seems less 'harsh" for lack of a better word.

As to cycling, I use Jorge's plan as a guide, and that's why I asked the question to Scott.  My sense is that early on this plan is waaay stuck in Z2-Z3 ... mainly to build ones base.  That stated, if one already has a decent base to start with, should they ramp up the training and work harder from the start?

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2017-01-08 11:29 AM
    2017-01-08 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by Dorm57

Thanks Marc.  Personally I struggle with the run.  I think it may be that I go at it too hard and the ensuing joint soreness/pain just makes it totally unpleasant for me.  I'd like to give this Maffetone method a try as it seems less 'harsh" for lack of a better word.

As to cycling, I use Jorge's plan as a guide, and that's why I asked the question to Scott.  My sense is that early on this plan is waaay stuck in Z2-Z3 ... mainly to build ones base.  That stated, if one already has a decent base to start with, should they ramp up the training and work harder?

Ciao ... Dorm

I always remember Jorge for his 6x4min@105 with 45s rest. Those were killers.

In fact he used to go from very short/hard VO2 at the beginning to more threshold type at the end with some easier workouts in the week but there was typically one pretty tough one in there every week.

There was another plan that Shane put together that you could try
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
    I have a link to each week in my training log

Edited by marcag 2017-01-08 12:09 PM
    2017-01-08 2:47 PM
    in reply to: CRP

User image

New user
    Houston, Texas
    Hi y'all!

Finished my first tri of the year today! Lifetime Indoor Tri. It went well, for the most part. My cycling distance was greater than last year, and my swim and run were the same distances. The race is 10 min swim, 30 min cycle, and 20 min treadmill run. All in all, not bad. As my husband noted, at least I'm not deteriorating!

Have a great week!

Kathy
    2017-01-08 4:16 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Hi all.

I haven't really be AWOL, at least without a good excuse!  The hard drive in my laptop failed yesterday.  See?!?  There is justice in the world when even the computer guy has computer problems.

Here is an up-to-date list of Gray Guys/Gals.  If you don't see your name or the information is wrong, please let me know.

(group members.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    group members.jpg (28KB - 8 downloads)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 31

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
    Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    comments : 0
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.