BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-19 8:10 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by firebert

Psst - I'm too poor a swimmer to swim with Masters  

Also that 1500m has to be without stopping, pushing off a wall, etc.  Took me a long hard road to get to my half mile swim last year!

The Oly swim is just a mental thing.  i play a lot of mental games in open water to keep my mind occupied.

I play a lot of mental games in open water too. Like repeating the mantra, "no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark."

Did I mention I live in southern Illinois and swim in a lake. No sharks, but I still repeat that every time I get in the water!

2017-01-19 8:12 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Gnarly masters swim this morning. I feel like my arms are going to fall off. Seriously, fall right off. It was a day of slow 100, then fast and faster 25s or 50s. Just enough rest to catch your breath, then off again.

Hoping to get on the trainer tonight to spin for a while.
2017-01-19 11:25 AM

User image

On my run today I had a little ummmm situation. About half the time when I run I will feel the need to go to the bathroom sometimes it passes, sometimes I can hold it till I get home as it normally hits about a mile from home. I have stopped at a porta john once or twice. Today, however, I was running and things were going well until about mile 2 when it hit. No big deal I can make it......... wrong. Now I am not even in my neighborhood, but the one next to mine, and there is nowhere and I mean nowhere even close to try to stop. I realized that holding it was not going to happen and my only real decision was where I was going. In my running shorts seemed like the worst possible option. It's 0300 in the morning so knocking on a door is out. I don't want to stop in someone's yard cause well that is just rude, then I remember the water shed just over the hill. I'm not sure I have ever climbed a hill so fast. I made it to the water shed and felt much better. Now my dilemma is its 0300, dark, no cell phone so no light (I forgot my arm band at home) so I had to grab some leaves and clean up praying that it would not be bad, but not being able to tell because I can't see. I finished my run feeling better and thankfully no mess to clean up when I got home. Can I consider that a win?

P.S. Im a little nervous about my swim after work now since I have found that my suit has finally worn out and the back is see though......
2017-01-19 11:29 AM

User image

Originally posted by b2b14 I read a few people mention weight loss. I started doing a Keto diet last Friday and so far I am impressed. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes and if you are interested I will tell you about it (not that I'm an expert).

Keto = similar to Atkins, right?  I experimented with Atkins about 12-13 years ago, lost 10 pounds in about 3 weeks, and then got really sick and wound up in the hospital with an intestinal blockage and some horrible digestive infection.  Still unproven whether they were related or not, but doc told me don't mess with my diet too much going forward LOL.

The key to success for those Keto-based diets (or heck, any diet for that matter) is that it has to be long-term, not quick fix.  "Diets" scare me. 

And besides, beer is a no-no on those ideas so pretty much a non-starter around here. 

Actually this is not a diet per se but a lifestyle change. It changes the way you fuel your body and you run off fat rather than carbs. I have loved it so far and feel great with good energy. The only way to lose weight on this is to eat a calorie deficiency, but honestly on days I'm active that is easy because I am not hungry. I have lost the cravings for those things that hurt my attempts in the past to lose weight. I have read that many endurance athletes will have to re introduce carbs just to keep weight up at times. Only time will tell. I am not a fad dieter but I have spent some time looking into this and it seems like something I can stick too that will work.
2017-01-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - great workout!  I need to get my butt in the pool (says the guy who can't swim well)

Scott - glad you made it out of that unscathed...haha.

2017-01-19 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by b2b14 On my run today I had a little ummmm situation. About half the time when I run I will feel the need to go to the bathroom sometimes it passes, sometimes I can hold it till I get home as it normally hits about a mile from home. I have stopped at a porta john once or twice. Today, however, I was running and things were going well until about mile 2 when it hit. No big deal I can make it......... wrong. Now I am not even in my neighborhood, but the one next to mine, and there is nowhere and I mean nowhere even close to try to stop. I realized that holding it was not going to happen and my only real decision was where I was going. In my running shorts seemed like the worst possible option. It's 0300 in the morning so knocking on a door is out. I don't want to stop in someone's yard cause well that is just rude, then I remember the water shed just over the hill. I'm not sure I have ever climbed a hill so fast. I made it to the water shed and felt much better. Now my dilemma is its 0300, dark, no cell phone so no light (I forgot my arm band at home) so I had to grab some leaves and clean up praying that it would not be bad, but not being able to tell because I can't see. I finished my run feeling better and thankfully no mess to clean up when I got home. Can I consider that a win? P.S. Im a little nervous about my swim after work now since I have found that my suit has finally worn out and the back is see though......

The early front-runner for post of the year!!!

2017-01-19 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Gnarly masters swim this morning. I feel like my arms are going to fall off. Seriously, fall right off. It was a day of slow 100, then fast and faster 25s or 50s. Just enough rest to catch your breath, then off again.

Hoping to get on the trainer tonight to spin for a while.

Gnarly! Love it! You are such an inspiration!
2017-01-19 12:29 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by b2b14 On my run today I had a little ummmm situation. About half the time when I run I will feel the need to go to the bathroom sometimes it passes, sometimes I can hold it till I get home as it normally hits about a mile from home. I have stopped at a porta john once or twice. Today, however, I was running and things were going well until about mile 2 when it hit. No big deal I can make it......... wrong. Now I am not even in my neighborhood, but the one next to mine, and there is nowhere and I mean nowhere even close to try to stop. I realized that holding it was not going to happen and my only real decision was where I was going. In my running shorts seemed like the worst possible option. It's 0300 in the morning so knocking on a door is out. I don't want to stop in someone's yard cause well that is just rude, then I remember the water shed just over the hill. I'm not sure I have ever climbed a hill so fast. I made it to the water shed and felt much better. Now my dilemma is its 0300, dark, no cell phone so no light (I forgot my arm band at home) so I had to grab some leaves and clean up praying that it would not be bad, but not being able to tell because I can't see. I finished my run feeling better and thankfully no mess to clean up when I got home. Can I consider that a win? P.S. Im a little nervous about my swim after work now since I have found that my suit has finally worn out and the back is see though......

X2
2017-01-19 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by b2b14  Nicole (tx) What is the weather like in Tx come April? I am doing IM Galveston 70.3 April 2nd. Flying into Houston on the 31st then thinking of renting a car or possibly ubering it to my hotel in Galveston. 

The race has moved up about three weeks this year in relation to past years.  Generally, earlier in spring comes with more wind and less heat/humidity.  I rode the Galveston course once in mid-March and averaged something like 25 mph on the outbound leg, and 15 mph coming back in!  Hopefully we'll be right at that cusp where the wind isn't so bad, but the heat/humidity hasn't settled in.

I'll be racing too!  I paid my dues to the weather gods at Austin 70.3 (bad fog in the morning led to a canceled swim and it got brutally hot by the time we hit the run course), so I'm hoping things will be decent for Galveston

2017-01-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

If anyone is looking for a full sleeve quality wetsuit at the price of an entry level - check out Zoot right now:

http://zootsports.com/sale/mens/apparel?garment_type[]=wetsuit

Annual sale and stuff is already going fast.  I was about this >< close to a wetsuit for myself except, you know, I just bought a new bike.  And I have an AFC Championship ticket to pay for ;p

edit - sorry that's the link to the mens but the sale is the same in womens

Edited by firebert 2017-01-19 12:33 PM
2017-01-19 12:32 PM

User image

Expert

Psst - I'm too poor a swimmer to swim with Masters  

Also that 1500m has to be without stopping, pushing off a wall, etc.  Took me a long hard road to get to my half mile swim last year!

The Oly swim is just a mental thing.  i play a lot of mental games in open water to keep my mind occupied.

I play a lot of mental games in open water too. Like repeating the mantra, "no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark."

Did I mention I live in southern Illinois and swim in a lake. No sharks, but I still repeat that every time I get in the water!

I've done a couple of tri's in the ocean but never had I had problems until last year when I had my first panic attack in the Atlantic ocean! All I could think about were sharks just out of my sight! I was seriously freaked out

2017-01-19 12:39 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 I play a lot of mental games in open water too. Like repeating the mantra, "no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark. no, that wasn't a shark." Did I mention I live in southern Illinois and swim in a lake. No sharks, but I still repeat that every time I get in the water! I've done a couple of tri's in the ocean but never had I had problems until last year when I had my first panic attack in the Atlantic ocean! All I could think about were sharks just out of my sight! I was seriously freaked out

The one in my plan is Cranberry Trifest, which is a lake swim.  thats the one that actor Seann Astin did a couple years back as a warmup on his run up to a celebrity entry at Kona.  No real worries about sea life.  I have had a panic attack of sorts in a .25 mi lake swim tri though.  Went out too fast and couldn't make the first buoy without switching to breast stroke, never got it under control enough to get my breath back to switch back to free....

Did I mention how poor a swimmer I am?  I struggle mightily to get my breath and HR under control.  I know my form has a long way to go, but I'm at least partially convinced I'm in a constant mild panic attack any time my face is in the water.  I mean, I have a 1 second panic every morning in the shower when it's time to wash soap off my face and I feel like Im going to inhale water and drown standing up.  Every.  Single.  Day....  Yes I have issues.

Edited by firebert 2017-01-19 12:39 PM
2017-01-19 12:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by b2b14

Nicole (md) - Hope you are feeling better and getting sick though the computer is a real thing that why they say be carful of computer viruses........
Why not supper close IMNC is not far away and with any luck Dave and John will come

Yes! You are so right about computer viruses! lol
I would come and cheer like crazy at IMNC and drink some beer in support of the BDASers competing. I will have to check it out!

Mike, we will just have to do the tri thing next year when you are all healed and ready to go!
2017-01-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: Gecko

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Gecko

Hi everyone... figured I'd stop being a lurker and actually do something.

NAME: Gecko/Patrick

STORY: I'm 45 years young, male. I used to be fit, I played some high level rugby although I was always the slow guy on the pitch. But I really enjoyed the pain of the sport, so I am perfect guinea pig for this new obsession. After getting completely off any sort of fitness and any semblance of healthy living, I quit my job and launched a company working in the construction industry - we install commercial glazing systems. It gave me a better self esteem and since I work 15 hours a day, I figured no one would see me walk away once in a while. So I joined a gym in October last year, and spinning on Sunday became spinning twice a week, and so on. I did a Indoor tri the first week of January and now I have decided to do Olympic distance this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 daughters, 12 and 8. Very lucky to have them support any air brain scheme I dream.

CURRENT TRAINING: Bike focus 20 week Olympic plan from this site - 7 workouts a week. I am finishing week 3 so I have a lot left to do.

2016 RACES:
Absolutely none.

The Plan for 2017: I did the indoor tri at my gym.
10mins swim - 18 laps
30mins bike - 16.8km
20mins run.... 1.81miles and I was running! I am slow...

I will do a couple of sprints and a couple of Olympic if I can keep my credit card from being cut by my wife. So far, it seems like everyone is okay with this.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE:
Beer. As long as you keep the aseptic German ones away from me as I prefer the free loving hyppie beers of Belgium. Or England. Or U.S. or Canada. Don't give me a pilsner. Please don't. Coors light is not a beer, but the biproduct of having a corn boil.
I'll also drink Rye by the gallon.

WEIGHT LOSS: Do you have a pill? Seriously? I have a lot to loose as I am currently 255lbs. 6'3" frame - I haven't been below 200 since grade 11. I'd love to go down to a skinny 220lbs this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I will be consistent and contribute. I swear I will. I have tons to learn as I am making this is lifestyle, not a bucket list item.

Thanks

Pat

Hey Pat - WELCOME! I enjoyed reading your bio - my wife is about ready to cut the card herself considering I just bought a new set of areo bars! Thanks in advance for contributing. I can promise you that you will get out of this group what you put into it. I have loved all the BDASers I've met (3) and hope to one day buy you a round of drinks. By the way - here's something that you might find amusing. When we do something that falls short of our goals - we can give each other a Coors Light Penalty (CLP). considering how you feel about the banquet of beers - I thought your might find that amusing!
2017-01-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

X2

x3! This made me lol. Glad you made it!
2017-01-19 12:50 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e If it's possible to transmit sickness through the computer, I am pretty sure I got Mike's. I'm not a doctor, but I think that's definitely what happened. Started feeling a little cold coming on yesterday and it's definitely there this morning. Sore throat, stuffy, and just blah overall. Still went to the Sprint cycling class last night and am playing on going to a Boot Camp tonight, then hopefully get to bed early. I actually blame my niece and nephew, who I babysat on Saturday. Little cesspools of germs. Every time I babysit them or my other nephews I get sick. Every. Time. I need to sign up for a race for motivation. Once we get this grant submitted I should have more time in the evenings, so will start looking for either runs or tris. Mike, how long will you be out from your surgery? Planning any local races? I am jealous of all the Mass people doing them together!

If all goes according to the The Plan, I should be running in six months, so it might be tough  to get in a tri race that late around here (except maybe the one here at Gunpowder, but I hate bad weather races).  Of course, there's a whole lotta "it depends" in the doctor prognosis, so we'll see.

I must get sick through the computer also.  I work from home for goodness' sakes!!!

As for the Gunpowder race, it is due for nice weather this year! The weather has been bad the last 3 years on that weekend, but weekends around it have been beautiful!

2017-01-19 1:17 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by b2b14  Nicole (tx) What is the weather like in Tx come April? I am doing IM Galveston 70.3 April 2nd. Flying into Houston on the 31st then thinking of renting a car or possibly ubering it to my hotel in Galveston. 

The race has moved up about three weeks this year in relation to past years.  Generally, earlier in spring comes with more wind and less heat/humidity.  I rode the Galveston course once in mid-March and averaged something like 25 mph on the outbound leg, and 15 mph coming back in!  Hopefully we'll be right at that cusp where the wind isn't so bad, but the heat/humidity hasn't settled in.

I'll be racing too!  I paid my dues to the weather gods at Austin 70.3 (bad fog in the morning led to a canceled swim and it got brutally hot by the time we hit the run course), so I'm hoping things will be decent for Galveston

wave when you pass me
2017-01-19 3:32 PM
in reply to: #5207975

Small run day for me today. 35 mins or so. My biggest challenge is trying to run slow enough for my heart rate not to climb. Not too sure if I am doing it right, but at 45 y/o i think i am supposed to be around 135. Can't run there no matter what.
But... with the end of week three in sights, I am pretty excited to report that I have not missed any of my workouts. The endurance training is making the bear in me show up once in a while. Not enough to sh*t on a lawn (eh Scott?) but I am having mood swings.
Day off tomorrow. So to celebrate me not missing workouts, I bought 3 local microbrews
Bench
Naughty neighbour
Bitter waitress
Can't decide which one to open...

Pat
2017-01-19 3:43 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Nice work this week Pat!  Naughty Neighbor sounds good to me!!

Dave - Season Opener this year, or the new replacement for Escape the Cape 

https://maxperformanceonline.com/harvesttri/

Why it's called the 'harvest' tri even though its at the end of Spring I'm not sure.  Are cranberries harvested in Spring?  I always figured Fall.  Anyway the whole area is gorgeous and the run course is completely closed as it's all on private property.  I'm leaning heavily toward this!

2017-01-19 8:22 PM

User image

Expert

Nice work this week Pat!  Naughty Neighbor sounds good to me!!

Dave - Season Opener this year, or the new replacement for Escape the Cape 

https://maxperformanceonline.com/harvesttri/

Why it's called the 'harvest' tri even though its at the end of Spring I'm not sure.  Are cranberries harvested in Spring?  I always figured Fall.  Anyway the whole area is gorgeous and the run course is completely closed as it's all on private property.  I'm leaning heavily toward this!

I could go for the Harvest Race. What distance would you want to do?

DQ

Edited by Qua17 2017-01-19 8:22 PM
2017-01-20 7:14 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by b2b14

Originally posted by b2b14 I read a few people mention weight loss. I started doing a Keto diet last Friday and so far I am impressed. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes and if you are interested I will tell you about it (not that I'm an expert).

Keto = similar to Atkins, right?  I experimented with Atkins about 12-13 years ago, lost 10 pounds in about 3 weeks, and then got really sick and wound up in the hospital with an intestinal blockage and some horrible digestive infection.  Still unproven whether they were related or not, but doc told me don't mess with my diet too much going forward LOL.

The key to success for those Keto-based diets (or heck, any diet for that matter) is that it has to be long-term, not quick fix.  "Diets" scare me. 

And besides, beer is a no-no on those ideas so pretty much a non-starter around here. 

Actually this is not a diet per se but a lifestyle change. It changes the way you fuel your body and you run off fat rather than carbs. I have loved it so far and feel great with good energy. The only way to lose weight on this is to eat a calorie deficiency, but honestly on days I'm active that is easy because I am not hungry. I have lost the cravings for those things that hurt my attempts in the past to lose weight. I have read that many endurance athletes will have to re introduce carbs just to keep weight up at times. Only time will tell. I am not a fad dieter but I have spent some time looking into this and it seems like something I can stick too that will work.

Amen to lifestyle change, not diet!! I started Whole 30 on January 3 (today is day 17!!). While not exactly a keto diet, carbs are plentiful in fruits and starchy veggies, it is intended to get your body to burn fat as fuel. The first few days were rough in terms of "side effects", but now things are great. I feel better and have a ton more energy. My workouts are better too.

I will have to admit the no beer part has been rough a couple of times. :P

2017-01-20 7:17 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Woke up this morning at 4:30. Ugh--too early!!!!!! Can't do anything around the house, because I don't want to wake up my wife. Gym isn't open yet. Office building isn't unlocked yet (could get in, it just is a big hassle). Ended up wasting a little time until the gym opened at 5:30, then doing strength training. It was a good workout and the old timers just about have the newbies trained to wipe off machines after they are done using them...just about.
2017-01-20 7:33 AM

User image

Expert

Woke up this morning at 4:30. Ugh--too early!!!!!! Can't do anything around the house, because I don't want to wake up my wife. Gym isn't open yet. Office building isn't unlocked yet (could get in, it just is a big hassle). Ended up wasting a little time until the gym opened at 5:30, then doing strength training. It was a good workout and the old timers just about have the newbies trained to wipe off machines after they are done using them...just about.

Sorry about the early wakeup but I'm glad you got to the gym and had a good workout!
2017-01-20 7:38 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Woke up this morning to get my gym workout in and my back was having none of it. So, I wimped out and stayed in bed. It got so bad I ended up needing help getting dressed but I feel better now that I've loosened up a little bit. Hoping to hit the gym later today for a bike session.
2017-01-20 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Gecko Small run day for me today. 35 mins or so. My biggest challenge is trying to run slow enough for my heart rate not to climb. Not too sure if I am doing it right, but at 45 y/o i think i am supposed to be around 135. Can't run there no matter what. But... with the end of week three in sights, I am pretty excited to report that I have not missed any of my workouts. The endurance training is making the bear in me show up once in a while. Not enough to sh*t on a lawn (eh Scott?) but I am having mood swings. Day off tomorrow. So to celebrate me not missing workouts, I bought 3 local microbrews Bench Naughty neighbour Bitter waitress Can't decide which one to open... Pat

Welcome, Pat!  I don't think I've said that yet.

Don't worry too much about your heart rate unless you really know your zones, which are very different for everyone.  My slow runs are between like 105-122, depending on how hot it is.  For others my same age you might see slow runs in the 140s to 150s (my 45YO wife still gets her HR into the 180s - I'd be dead as I peg around 160).  That's why that 220 minus age formula and all of its derivatives don't always work.

For an "easy" run, you should be able to carry on a full conversation without any issue.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39050 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.