BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-02-13 9:58 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Tavo2311 So was out for a couple hours on bike today and really had to pee. But there were no public restrooms around my route and even if there were I was riding alone so I would have no one to watch my bike. I was able to hold it to the end but only because my ride was super long today. Led me to thinking "who could I ask this dumb question to?" And you all of course were the answer! So, what does everyone do on a 3,4,5+ hour ride? Do you actually carry locks in case you stop somewhere? Do you just go on the side of the road!? I'll need ideas as my rides get much longer soon. -Matt
I generally don't have to go on the bike (unless I'm on the trainer for some reason), but when I have to go, I just sit down on the side of the road and go. Then I use a little water from my bottles to rinse off. When I get home, shoes go in the wash too. I figure it can't be any nastier than lake water.

Typically I ride in areas that have places you can stop if necessary, though I've never gone past 3 /12 hours/65 miles.

What do you do with your bike while you are stopped somewhere?

Totally depends on where it is - one of the state parks I ride in has bathrooms so I actually pull my bike in there.  If I stop at a gas station or something I'll ask if I can bring it indoors for a minute.  I've carried locks before but I've always felt that if a thief wants your bike, no lock is going to stop them.  And besides it would be fun trying to watch someone get away on a 61cm bike with Speedplay pedals. 

61 cm with speedplay pedals... where exactly do you live again?

2017-02-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert

I'm taking an unplanned off day today. My right ankle/lateral foot is very sore still from Saturday's race. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but I had similar soreness after my last two long runs. In both those cases, however, the soreness went away the next day and it was no big deal. Working on day three and hoping it gets better before tomorrow, when I have to drive 9 hours to New Orleans for a conference!

Hope your foot feels better soon. You've earned the right to take it easy for a while so don't feel bad if you can't get back to running right away.

Good luck with the conference - hope it's good. Are you presenting?
2017-02-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a killer masters swim on Saturday morning. Did just under 4000yds, definitely the most I've ever swam in my adult life. Ended up doing time trials as well, which I was not aware we were doing! I only remember my 200 time, which was 2:49. I just emailed my coach to get my 500 and 100 times. I definitely went out too strong in the beginning of the 200 and 500 and died a bit towards the end, especially in the 500! We also did a drill to work on keeping our head positioning that really helped. We put a hand paddle at the top of our head and had to keep it there while swimming. I felt like it helped a lot, but he said when I take the paddle off I'm still lifting my head up. I definitely feel like I'm at least doing better though!

Have another practice tonight as well as volleyball after.
2017-02-13 11:19 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Sounds like a lot of injuries creeping up - take it easy out there everyone and heal up soon!

2017-02-13 11:31 AM
in reply to: #5213326

User image

, California
So this morning officially started my Ironman training. Though all the training I've been doing since signing up in September has been with this race in mind, the specific 24 week plan is now underway. Wish me luck, I'm sure as hell gonna need it!

4:30 am 3 mile run this morning, swim squad later tonight.

-Matt
2017-02-13 11:37 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

So this morning officially started my Ironman training. Though all the training I've been doing since signing up in September has been with this race in mind, the specific 24 week plan is now underway. Wish me luck, I'm sure as hell gonna need it!

4:30 am 3 mile run this morning, swim squad later tonight.

-Matt

Matt:

I wish you the best of luck. As my coach told me - it's the training that makes an ironman an ironman. The race is just an icing on the cake! In other words - the 4:30 am run moves you one step closer to being an ironman.

2017-02-13 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Had a killer masters swim on Saturday morning. Did just under 4000yds, definitely the most I've ever swam in my adult life. Ended up doing time trials as well, which I was not aware we were doing! I only remember my 200 time, which was 2:49. I just emailed my coach to get my 500 and 100 times. I definitely went out too strong in the beginning of the 200 and 500 and died a bit towards the end, especially in the 500! We also did a drill to work on keeping our head positioning that really helped. We put a hand paddle at the top of our head and had to keep it there while swimming. I felt like it helped a lot, but he said when I take the paddle off I'm still lifting my head up. I definitely feel like I'm at least doing better though!

Sounds like you are doing some good work in pool. You'd kick my butt even if your head isn't properly positioned.
2017-02-13 11:43 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida

Matt - Hell yeah go get em!  Every day brings you closer to those words "YOU are an Ironman!"

Nicole - +1 to what Dave said.  Your 200 time isn't too far off my 100 time :D

2017-02-13 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Matt and everyone else -

Best motivational video ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koHqZyfSk2g

I memorized every line and use it whenever I feel like not putting in 100% - like no when I don't want to go to the gym.

Make it work magic for you.

DQ
2017-02-13 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e Had a killer masters swim on Saturday morning. Did just under 4000yds, definitely the most I've ever swam in my adult life. Ended up doing time trials as well, which I was not aware we were doing! I only remember my 200 time, which was 2:49. I just emailed my coach to get my 500 and 100 times. I definitely went out too strong in the beginning of the 200 and 500 and died a bit towards the end, especially in the 500! We also did a drill to work on keeping our head positioning that really helped. We put a hand paddle at the top of our head and had to keep it there while swimming. I felt like it helped a lot, but he said when I take the paddle off I'm still lifting my head up. I definitely feel like I'm at least doing better though! Have another practice tonight as well as volleyball after.

Very nice!  Did you get to go off the blocks, or push off the wall?  100, 200, and 500 for time all in one workout sounds awfully mean!

I'm guessing the paddle on the head drill is something you only do for short distances, right?  I can't figure out how you'd breathe without knocking it off!

2017-02-13 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Tavo2311 So was out for a couple hours on bike today and really had to pee. But there were no public restrooms around my route and even if there were I was riding alone so I would have no one to watch my bike. I was able to hold it to the end but only because my ride was super long today. Led me to thinking "who could I ask this dumb question to?" And you all of course were the answer! So, what does everyone do on a 3,4,5+ hour ride? Do you actually carry locks in case you stop somewhere? Do you just go on the side of the road!? I'll need ideas as my rides get much longer soon. -Matt

I generally don't have to go on the bike (unless I'm on the trainer for some reason), but when I have to go, I just sit down on the side of the road and go. Then I use a little water from my bottles to rinse off. When I get home, shoes go in the wash too. I figure it can't be any nastier than lake water.

Oh, good....I'm not the only one!  I'm pretty shameless   My problem, though, is that I haven't figured out how to go on the bike.  I wouldn't do it for training, but I really would like to figure out how to do it for races.  I don't think it's mental, given that I'm perfectly fine with peeing myself while squatting down or sitting on a curb or whatever....but I guess the pressure of the saddle stops the ability to go, though not the need!

2017-02-13 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove I'm taking an unplanned off day today. My right ankle/lateral foot is very sore still from Saturday's race. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but I had similar soreness after my last two long runs. In both those cases, however, the soreness went away the next day and it was no big deal. Working on day three and hoping it gets better before tomorrow, when I have to drive 9 hours to New Orleans for a conference!

Sorry to hear that the race didn't go quite to plan, but very glad that you are happy with it in the end.

Sucks about the foot.  Have you been icing it?  Hopefully it's just reeling from the intensity over the full duration of the run and will get back to normal.  But definitely give it some time to heal....running through injuries never actually works (successfully)!  Maybe add some extra swimming and/or biking for a bit.

2017-02-13 12:40 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 Matt and everyone else - Best motivational video ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koHqZyfSk2gI memorized every line and use it whenever I feel like not putting in 100% - like no when I don't want to go to the gym. Make it work magic for you. DQ

THIS.  So very much this.  I have it in my signature.  Since Dave turning me on to this last season I've used it any time I need that push to do a workout.  Fires me up every single time.  Last summer I was using it twice a week for my swim workouts.  I always dread those and needed it constantly

2017-02-13 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Had a killer masters swim on Saturday morning. Did just under 4000yds, definitely the most I've ever swam in my adult life. Ended up doing time trials as well, which I was not aware we were doing! I only remember my 200 time, which was 2:49. I just emailed my coach to get my 500 and 100 times. I definitely went out too strong in the beginning of the 200 and 500 and died a bit towards the end, especially in the 500! We also did a drill to work on keeping our head positioning that really helped. We put a hand paddle at the top of our head and had to keep it there while swimming. I felt like it helped a lot, but he said when I take the paddle off I'm still lifting my head up. I definitely feel like I'm at least doing better though! Have another practice tonight as well as volleyball after.

2:49 for SCY off the wall is pretty darn good.  That's like all-out 100 pace for me.

2017-02-13 7:54 PM
in reply to: #5213402

User image

, California
Great video, thanks Dave!

-Matt
2017-02-13 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

Damn good week! When do you start your taper for IMNZ?

Thanks, its my biggest week ever. Which it should be 3 weeks out from an Ironman I guess.

I'm going to do 1 final big week this week, followed by a 2 week taper.

2017-02-14 12:03 AM
in reply to: #5213446

User image

, California
2nd workout of the day done. 2200 yds (in an outdoor pool with a broken heater!) with the SMOG squad. Bedtime.

-Matt
2017-02-14 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Tavo2311 2nd workout of the day done. 2200 yds (in an outdoor pool with a broken heater!) with the SMOG squad. Bedtime. -Matt

That's awesome - way to survive the cold. 

A couple of years ago my pool heater broke (it was an outdoor pool with a tarp/framed cover for the winter, so it got cold quick).  The water temp was 66*.  OMG the poor kids on the swim team LOL.  I swam like 1200M and I was still shivering so I called it quits.

2017-02-14 8:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Tavo2311

2nd workout of the day done. 2200 yds (in an outdoor pool with a broken heater!) with the SMOG squad. Bedtime.

-Matt

Ouch! That sounds awfully cold! Hope you had a hot chocolate or a beer after to warm you up!
2017-02-14 9:04 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Very nice!  Did you get to go off the blocks, or push off the wall?  100, 200, and 500 for time all in one workout sounds awfully mean!

I'm guessing the paddle on the head drill is something you only do for short distances, right?  I can't figure out how you'd breathe without knocking it off!

No blocks, just push off the wall. I don't know much about times so we will see what happens at the next one when I have something to compare it to. All in one workout was definitely mean. I had masters last night (2600yds) and did a 400 in 6:56. He said I must've been milking it in my 500 time trial. I was like, no I was just tired! I got my times back though. 100 - 1:24, 200 - 2:49, 500 - 8:11

As for the paddle drill, we did the length of the pool over and over. Keeping it on while breathing is the hard part, but it's the whole point of the drill. If you just rotate your head instead of lifting it up, it stays on. Almost everyone has trouble with this, but it's very effective. He said he can already see a big difference in my breathing, although I still have work to do for sure. Here's a video as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2t3LQTk0U
2017-02-14 9:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove I'm taking an unplanned off day today. My right ankle/lateral foot is very sore still from Saturday's race. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but I had similar soreness after my last two long runs. In both those cases, however, the soreness went away the next day and it was no big deal. Working on day three and hoping it gets better before tomorrow, when I have to drive 9 hours to New Orleans for a conference!

Sorry to hear that the race didn't go quite to plan, but very glad that you are happy with it in the end.

Sucks about the foot.  Have you been icing it?  Hopefully it's just reeling from the intensity over the full duration of the run and will get back to normal.  But definitely give it some time to heal....running through injuries never actually works (successfully)!  Maybe add some extra swimming and/or biking for a bit.

x2, but you finished and that is awesome! Hope your foot feels better soon!

2017-02-14 9:15 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

ON - that hand paddle drill looks impossible!  At least for me.  I guess that's the point isn't it?  Anyway I had never heard of that one before and I most certainly could use the help there, so thank you!

Andrew - It's getting so close!  One final push this week and then it's a cruise down to race day.  You got this!

Me - first workout in over a week last night (not counting shoveling snow which we have plenty of).  Quality time on the bike trainer.  I mixed in some actual timed interval efforts.  Still probably not a 'real' trainer workout, at least so the watch tells me - my recovery status was between 'undertrained' and 'balanced'.  I was on for almost an hour and sweating my bum off but the only time I get my HR into Z3 is during the efforts.  I have a much harder time getting the HR up on the bike than I do on the run or in the pool.  Anyone else have this?  I know bike HRs are usually lower but like 5-10bpm for a given zone not 20-25 like me...

2017-02-14 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14eNo blocks, just push off the wall. I don't know much about times so we will see what happens at the next one when I have something to compare it to. All in one workout was definitely mean. I had masters last night (2600yds) and did a 400 in 6:56. He said I must've been milking it in my 500 time trial. I was like, no I was just tired! I got my times back though. 100 - 1:24, 200 - 2:49, 500 - 8:11

As for the paddle drill, we did the length of the pool over and over. Keeping it on while breathing is the hard part, but it's the whole point of the drill. If you just rotate your head instead of lifting it up, it stays on. Almost everyone has trouble with this, but it's very effective. He said he can already see a big difference in my breathing, although I still have work to do for sure. Here's a video as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2t3LQTk0U

What order did you do those time trials in?  I'm going to guess that you did the 200 first, 100 second, and the 500 last.  Your 200 time is VERY good in relation to your 100 time, so I bet you're like me and built for endurance more so than for sprinting.  Double your 100 time would be 2:48, so to only be one second slower than that means that you do well at longer stuff!  Great for a triathlete!

Your 500 time does indicate that you were probably tired as it's more like a 1:38/100 pace.  Your 400 time, though, seems like an outlier -- it's closer to a 1:44/100 pace, but you did your 500 at a faster pace.  Maybe he wrote it down wrong?  Either way, looks like you're kicking butt in the pool!  Have you done a masters meet?

Thanks for the video!  That's so not what I was thinking!  For some reason, I was thinking paddle on top of the head (i.e. the part of your head that's not submerged under the water, so really on the back of your head, but top when you're horizontal). 

2017-02-14 10:33 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14eNo blocks, just push off the wall. I don't know much about times so we will see what happens at the next one when I have something to compare it to. All in one workout was definitely mean. I had masters last night (2600yds) and did a 400 in 6:56. He said I must've been milking it in my 500 time trial. I was like, no I was just tired! I got my times back though. 100 - 1:24, 200 - 2:49, 500 - 8:11

What order did you do those time trials in?  I'm going to guess that you did the 200 first, 100 second, and the 500 last.  Your 200 time is VERY good in relation to your 100 time, so I bet you're like me and built for endurance more so than for sprinting.  Double your 100 time would be 2:48, so to only be one second slower than that means that you do well at longer stuff!  Great for a triathlete!

Your 500 time does indicate that you were probably tired as it's more like a 1:38/100 pace.  Your 400 time, though, seems like an outlier -- it's closer to a 1:44/100 pace, but you did your 500 at a faster pace.  Maybe he wrote it down wrong?  Either way, looks like you're kicking butt in the pool!  Have you done a masters meet?

Thanks for the video!  That's so not what I was thinking!  For some reason, I was thinking paddle on top of the head (i.e. the part of your head that's not submerged under the water, so really on the back of your head, but top when you're horizontal). 

We actually did 200, 500, 100. I was wiped after the 200! I didn't know we were doing two more, so I really put it all out there haha. I also went out too hard on the 500 and died a bit at the end. I think you are right though. I was a middle distance runner (800 was my favorite race) and kind of assume I will be similar in the pool.

I have not done a masters meet yet but plan on trying one in the next couple months! They had one on Saturday but I was babysitting my nephews so I couldn't join (Saturday night meets are difficult).

I'm glad I could clarify with the video! I see what you meant about breathing being impossible having it on top haha
2017-02-14 4:57 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by nicole14e

That´s fast!! Impressed with your times, specially with your endurance, maintaining almost same speed in longer distances, so great!
So jealous...hahaha

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39139 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.