BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-11-22 10:59 AM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Welcome, Eric. 

I've never done an HIM but have had training volume to prepare for it.  There are two main differences between sprint/OLY and HIM/IM plans:  the long ride (3+ hours) and the long run (1.5+ hours) in HIM/IM plans, and the intensity training for sprints and Olys, which you could argue most people don't need for the longer distances.  That said, my last Oly plan had me peak at 25 miles per week running, which is darn near HIM territory, though I never went past 8 miles.  I think I was hitting over 11 hours/week training, with doubles darn near every day for about two months or so. 

Sounds like you have a great setup where you could get something done in the morning before everyone gets up, and then something quick at lunch, and your family won't be impacted.  My pool was five minutes away plus we have a treadmill and a bike trainer so I didn't spend a lot of additional time commuting to training.  That's the big time suck for a lot of people.

Feel free to browse my training logs from like May - September 2013 for a sprint focus, and then Jan - May 2014 for an Oly race.

2017-11-23 8:09 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Thanksgiving (U.S.) everyone!  My daughter had a special swim practice this morning at 6 AM (!!!) so I swam with them.  Well, not really WITH them, just in the same pool.  Got in about an hour, my longest swim workout in over a year.

2017-11-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: #5231212

User image

, Vermont
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Mike, that’s a good way to start the day!!

I’m sitting on reserve near LaGuardia Airport through Sunday. Yesterday I got in a short run/walk to continue to explore the area and used a fellow crashpadder’s yoga to do some core work. Trying to make use of my time. Hubby and kids are hanging with the in laws and other family through Sunday. Today I’ll have to scrounge up some kind of meal to celebrate Thanksgiving. I look on the positive side - I’m here to help others be with their families on Thanksgiving, though I can’t be with mine. I’d love to go see the Macy’s parade but with a 2 hour callout window that doesn’t give me enough time to get back out to the airport .
I’ll get in another short run and bring out the yoga mat again if I don’t get called in!
2017-11-24 4:11 PM
in reply to: #5231380

User image

, Vermont
Short 3 mile power walk yesterday, 2 miles today and core work and arms and legs. - all in my crashpad, no weights or gym. Getting creative and exploring places I can go to run for long stints without stopping for every street crossing. Back home Sunday night (yea!!) until Tuesday night.
2017-11-25 10:54 PM
in reply to: #5231415

User image

, Vermont
2.5 mile run today.
2017-11-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Happy Thanksgiving!!

We need people like you to take us home, Jenn, thanks!! I used to be on call at the hospital on x-mas, glad I can now choose, but someone has to do it - great you find some time to keep yourself active and train (I was not that time-efficient).

Welcome Eric!! Glad to hear to got hooked by watcihng IM Florida - I agree, when you see live one of these events, you want to give yourself a try. But be careful, do not say "will never do a full IM". I started 4 years ago with sprints, last year after finishing my 2nd HIM in Barcelona in the finish line "please, never let me do a full IM"..... and this past July did IM Austria. By then, you baby will be much older and you will have plenty of time to train!

It is a fun sport, and I have learned a lot from this group, including beer (I am more a wine drinker, but being part of BDAS I started enjoying and appreciating good beers)

Juan

2017-11-26 11:02 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Originally posted by Qua17

Already signed up for the 2018 Baltimore Sprint Tri (my most recent one). It was $50 to sign up on 10/31 so I went for it. I also was invited to age group nationals for the Oly but am not sure if I'm going to go. It's in Cleveland, which is not the most exciting location, and it costs $187, which is pricey (plus having to pay for travel). I also have a wedding in France in either August or September, so need to wait for that date to commit to anything.

UH Hello!!!! Cleveland? Not the most exciting location??? You clearly have been misinformed!

Haha! I am more of a beach girl Would've been going in an instant if it was in FL or SD or somewhere else warm and dreamy.

They have beach girls on lake Erie. You can even swim in the lake in December if you're tough enough
2017-11-26 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by EHouse20

Hey guys very new to the Triathlon deal. I'm guessing now isn't a great time to join a group but I just started training so I wanted to see if I could jump into one. Would it be better to wait until the new year? Thanks for any advice you could give.

It's a simple thing - if you like Beer (or other fermented beverages - you're in. So what's you're favorite beer?

What questions do you have - there is a lot of experience in this group and we'd love to help you!

Welcome!

DQ or Dave
2017-11-26 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by EHouse20

Just curious, how many hours a week do you guys train for a sprint/oly as opposed to maybe a HIM? In my mind a future goal would be a HIM at some point down the road but looking forward to getting my feet wet next year with a few sprints.

Depends on the plan and how fast you want to go. I've seen some sprints that take 3 hours per week and others that take 8 or 9.... Do what you have time for and enjoy every minute of it!
2017-11-26 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Happy Thanksgiving (U.S.) everyone!  My daughter had a special swim practice this morning at 6 AM (!!!) so I swam with them.  Well, not really WITH them, just in the same pool.  Got in about an hour, my longest swim workout in over a year.

Mike - That's badass!
2017-11-26 11:28 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
So..... two weeks ago I lost my job. This week things got worse - my wife left me after 19 years of marriage. To be honest, it came as quite a shock to me. I say this not to get your sympathy - but your support. I joined this group back in 2012 when it was Big DH's group and I've never been around a more supportive group of people than the BDAS and what I need now is your support as I try to get back into shape.

I need to lose the weight for three reasons. FIrst - I need to fight against the depression that lead to the breakup of my marriage. So, I'm really gonna try to work out 5-6 days per week. It's my hope that swim/bike/and run will help me put a smile back on my face and the BDAS will have my back. Second, it's gonna be tough getting any job weighing 270 pounds. If I'm gonna get hired, I'm gonna need to get fired up and hit the gym like it's my job. Finally, I'd like to date again sometime in the distant future and the fact is it's easier to get the girl when you're doing HIM's than when you are stuffing your face with fast food.

SO once again - thanks for being there. If I stay off the path - bug me on facebook.

Rode the bike at the gym for 30 minutes - just for the record.

2017-11-26 11:29 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

2.5 mile run today.

IMLP here we come!
2017-11-27 12:31 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Already signed up for the 2018 Baltimore Sprint Tri (my most recent one). It was $50 to sign up on 10/31 so I went for it. I also was invited to age group nationals for the Oly but am not sure if I'm going to go. It's in Cleveland, which is not the most exciting location, and it costs $187, which is pricey (plus having to pay for travel). I also have a wedding in France in either August or September, so need to wait for that date to commit to anything.

UH Hello!!!! Cleveland? Not the most exciting location??? You clearly have been misinformed!

Haha! I am more of a beach girl Would've been going in an instant if it was in FL or SD or somewhere else warm and dreamy.

They have beach girls on lake Erie. You can even swim in the lake in December if you're tough enough

I am not tough at all! Not when it comes to the cold!
2017-11-27 12:39 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh my gosh, DQ that is awful! I am so sorry to hear that! We will definitely be here for you and will help motivate you!

Did you get to the gym over the weekend at all? What is your plan for this week?
2017-11-27 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

So..... two weeks ago I lost my job. This week things got worse - my wife left me after 19 years of marriage. To be honest, it came as quite a shock to me. I say this not to get your sympathy - but your support. I joined this group back in 2012 when it was Big DH's group and I've never been around a more supportive group of people than the BDAS and what I need now is your support as I try to get back into shape.

I need to lose the weight for three reasons. FIrst - I need to fight against the depression that lead to the breakup of my marriage. So, I'm really gonna try to work out 5-6 days per week. It's my hope that swim/bike/and run will help me put a smile back on my face and the BDAS will have my back. Second, it's gonna be tough getting any job weighing 270 pounds. If I'm gonna get hired, I'm gonna need to get fired up and hit the gym like it's my job. Finally, I'd like to date again sometime in the distant future and the fact is it's easier to get the girl when you're doing HIM's than when you are stuffing your face with fast food.

SO once again - thanks for being there. If I stay off the path - bug me on facebook.

Mate that's awful news. I feel terrible for you.

I've also had to fight the black dog in my past. It's been a while now since I was in a really bad place, but from my experience exercise, whether training for an Ironman, or just getting out the door on a sunny day for a 30 minute jog, helps a lot.

Talking can also help, and I'm sure you know your virtual tri buddies are here for you if you need us.

So get out there, do some workouts, get yourself a runners high and feel positive about things.

I'll also reiterate the offer, if you want a weight loss challenge/accountability let me know, or just find me on MFP, username is bulfrognz

In the meantime wishing you the best, and hope tomorrow is better than today.
2017-11-27 9:29 PM

User image

Expert

Oh my gosh, DQ that is awful! I am so sorry to hear that! We will definitely be here for you and will help motivate you!

Did you get to the gym over the weekend at all? What is your plan for this week?

Thanks Nicole! I made it to the gym 1x this weekend and my plan for the week is to follow the plan my PT laid out for me which is to slowly get back to weight bearing exercise. For example today I did the elliptical for 15 minutes and then I did some weight training and then I did another 5 minutes of elliptical so as to not overly stress my achilles which is sore thanks to my 270 pounds.

I also want to eat better and post regularly to BT so that's the plan. Thanks for the support

2017-11-27 9:36 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

I've also had to fight the black dog in my past. It's been a while now since I was in a really bad place, but from my experience exercise, whether training for an Ironman, or just getting out the door on a sunny day for a 30 minute jog, helps a lot.

Talking can also help, and I'm sure you know your virtual tri buddies are here for you if you need us.

So get out there, do some workouts, get yourself a runners high and feel positive about things.

I'll also reiterate the offer, if you want a weight loss challenge/accountability let me know, or just find me on MFP, username is bulfrognz

Andrew - I agree - working out and talking are key. Luckily I have some great friends and I've been leaning on them the last few weeks. But when it comes to the workouts - I need to make sure I get those in too. Tonight I did my workout after divorce counseling and I felt so much better than I did at the beginning. I've also set a goal to do a half iron man in 2018 SO hopefully that will keep me motivated.

Speaking of motivation - let's do a weightloss challenge for December. We could set up goals for ourselves in terms of weight loss and if we hit those goals we could reward outselves on Christmas morning with a tasty beverage. I'm thinking breakfast stout What do you think?
2017-11-27 9:42 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by bulfrog

Andrew - I agree - working out and talking are key. Luckily I have some great friends and I've been leaning on them the last few weeks. But when it comes to the workouts - I need to make sure I get those in too. Tonight I did my workout after divorce counseling and I felt so much better than I did at the beginning. I've also set a goal to do a half iron man in 2018 SO hopefully that will keep me motivated.

Speaking of motivation - let's do a weightloss challenge for December. We could set up goals for ourselves in terms of weight loss and if we hit those goals we could reward outselves on Christmas morning with a tasty beverage. I'm thinking breakfast stout What do you think?

I also sent you an invite on MFP - let's do this!
2017-11-27 9:43 PM

User image

Expert
Made it to the gym for the second day in a row!
2017-11-28 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Made it to the gym for the second day in a row!

Great work, Dave. 

Sorry about the personal life issues - been there (long time ago, but it sucked).  We're here, and we WILL keep you accountable. 

Got in 60' on the trainer this morning, main set was 3 x 12' @ 85% FTP...pretty tough at 5:15 AM but I got through it.

2017-11-28 7:56 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
Dave,
Thanks for the welcome and sorry to hear about what you're going through. I think it's great you can get back into the gym and get that exercise in to not only take your mind off it but make you feel better.

As for my favorite beer, I'd say Bud Light always has been but now I'm a huge IPA and session fan...I know those are pretty much opposites ha Just bottled my first brew from Northern Brewer (Chinook IPA) this past weekend so will keep you guys posted on how that turns out.

Keep up the posting and even though I'm new to this I'll be here.

2017-11-28 10:11 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ two days in a row is a great start! Research suggests it takes 21 days to form a habit, so only 19 to go!

As for a weight loss challenge, I am in! Definitely ate way too much over Thanksgiving, and having a challenge will help hold me accountable when I am home again for Xmas. I also have a trip to Puerto Rico still planned, so need to stay active and eat well before I'm in my bathing suit for a week!
2017-11-28 10:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to masters practice last night and our coach decided it was a time trial night. He's sending our times later, but I think my 200 free was 2:49 or so, my 500 free was 7:50 maybe? and we did a 100 IM which I did in 1:24. It wasn't as awful as I thought it would be, and it's definitely nice to have a baseline for the start of the season. My back is super sore today though!
2017-11-28 8:09 PM
in reply to: #5231454

User image

, Vermont
Dave, I just sent you a PM.
I used to like the monthly challenges we did; though I can’t do s/b/r on the road with super consistency but can do something modified. I’m in MFP as well...have no idea what I have for a name on there - might be JennVT? Haha, I’ll check. I’m over 250 some-odd days of consistently tracking.
2017-11-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: #5231595

User image

, Vermont
I’m Aviatrix802 on MFP it looks like.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39077 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.