BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-05-25 6:16 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by tomsimper Its now four weeks since I broke my collarbone and its starting to get better. One of my target races this year was a half marathon that is taking place on Sunday. In the back of my head I thought I would still be able to do it but sense was saying no. However as I have lived and worked in Manchester for the last 18 years the events that happened on Monday has made me change my mind. I may run it but worst case I will walk as I am not going to let terrorist arseholes stop people going about their normal life and achieving their dreams. I imagine it will be an emotional day but I will there at the start line with 10K other people running the Manchester 1/2 Marathon and will then cheer on the 30K others running the 10K race afterwards. Life at times is too short and can be taken from us is in ways that are cowardly and do not make sense to the majority but one things is for sure they can not beat us or change the will of the majority to get along and stand united.

What happened in Manchester is just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for what you all are going through, but  I'm glad you are going to participate in the HM, I imagine it will be extremely emotional for all involved. My signature line translated from the latin means "don't let the bastards get you down", I think it is appropriate in this case.

2017-05-25 10:21 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

I believe 1 or more people have mentioned they use EFS products, but I can't remember who or how they said they use them! I'm considering ordering some to try them out, so talk to me- what do you like/ not like about it, which flavors are gross or yummy, do you use the individual shots or something else, what else?

thanks!

2017-05-25 10:41 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by amd723

I believe 1 or more people have mentioned they use EFS products, but I can't remember who or how they said they use them! I'm considering ordering some to try them out, so talk to me- what do you like/ not like about it, which flavors are gross or yummy, do you use the individual shots or something else, what else?

thanks!

I believe Sean used EFS Liquid Shot when he won his age group at IM Texas 70.3. I believe he said he finished two of the flasks on the bike and part of one on the run.

I've since tried the Kona-Mocha flavor a time or two. I find it less sweet than GU gels, but a pretty good flavor. It's not as tasty as the GUs (to me), but sometimes on a long ride/run gels can be too much sweetness and this is a welcome change. Some of the online reviews I read said the berry flavor was pretty bad, but I can't speak to that first-hand.

It packs a lot of calories (400) for a relatively small container with good electrolytes. My only complaints are:
-It's rather thick and doesn't always pour easily out of the flask it comes in. I feel like I'm not able to get all of it out easily while biking.
-You have to remember to tear off the protective wrapper ahead of time (I've had to pull over on the bike before)
-I would prefer some caffeine in there too, which it does not have.

TL;DR - Kona-Mocha is kinda tasty.
2017-05-25 10:48 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by awm007

thanks!

I believe Sean used EFS Liquid Shot when he won his age group at IM Texas 70.3. I believe he said he finished two of the flasks on the bike and part of one on the run. I've since tried the Kona-Mocha flavor a time or two. I find it less sweet than GU gels, but a pretty good flavor. It's not as tasty as the GUs (to me), but sometimes on a long ride/run gels can be too much sweetness and this is a welcome change. Some of the online reviews I read said the berry flavor was pretty bad, but I can't speak to that first-hand. It packs a lot of calories (400) for a relatively small container with good electrolytes. My only complaints are: -It's rather thick and doesn't always pour easily out of the flask it comes in. I feel like I'm not able to get all of it out easily while biking. -You have to remember to tear off the protective wrapper ahead of time (I've had to pull over on the bike before) -I would prefer some caffeine in there too, which it does not have. TL;DR - Kona-Mocha is kinda tasty.

Thanks! I'm starting to have to think about/test out my IM nutrition plan and I don't handle gels well! I am thinking of more solids on the bike with maybe some EFS to mix things up if I can handle it and, if so, use it on the run.  Good to hear the krona mocha is not bad since that is what I was looking at, plus the vanilla.  Thanks for the tip on the protective wrapper! Oh, and lack of caffeine is a plus for me

2017-05-25 11:34 AM

User image

thanks!

I believe Sean used EFS Liquid Shot when he won his age group at IM Texas 70.3. I believe he said he finished two of the flasks on the bike and part of one on the run.

I've since tried the Kona-Mocha flavor a time or two. I find it less sweet than GU gels, but a pretty good flavor. It's not as tasty as the GUs (to me), but sometimes on a long ride/run gels can be too much sweetness and this is a welcome change. Some of the online reviews I read said the berry flavor was pretty bad, but I can't speak to that first-hand.

It packs a lot of calories (400) for a relatively small container with good electrolytes. My only complaints are:
-It's rather thick and doesn't always pour easily out of the flask it comes in. I feel like I'm not able to get all of it out easily while biking.
-You have to remember to tear off the protective wrapper ahead of time (I've had to pull over on the bike before)
-I would prefer some caffeine in there too, which it does not have.

TL;DR - Kona-Mocha is kinda tasty.

I bought a variety pack on Amazon (2 of each flavor) and so far no complaints. They're a nice change up from gels and the calories are great for those long days! Personally I like all 3 flavors although I do agree that Kona-Mocha is my favorite. My only issue with them is they're too big for my bento box and getting them out of my jersey isn't always the smoothest. If you ask me I'd give them a shot (no pun intended!)!
2017-05-25 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by tomsimper Its now four weeks since I broke my collarbone and its starting to get better. One of my target races this year was a half marathon that is taking place on Sunday. In the back of my head I thought I would still be able to do it but sense was saying no. However as I have lived and worked in Manchester for the last 18 years the events that happened on Monday has made me change my mind. I may run it but worst case I will walk as I am not going to let terrorist arseholes stop people going about their normal life and achieving their dreams. I imagine it will be an emotional day but I will there at the start line with 10K other people running the Manchester 1/2 Marathon and will then cheer on the 30K others running the 10K race afterwards. Life at times is too short and can be taken from us is in ways that are cowardly and do not make sense to the majority but one things is for sure they can not beat us or change the will of the majority to get along and stand united.

Ugh, it is heartbreaking to see what has happened there. My thoughts will be with you and your countrymen on Sunday.

2017-05-25 11:57 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook

thanks!

I believe Sean used EFS Liquid Shot when he won his age group at IM Texas 70.3. I believe he said he finished two of the flasks on the bike and part of one on the run. I've since tried the Kona-Mocha flavor a time or two. I find it less sweet than GU gels, but a pretty good flavor. It's not as tasty as the GUs (to me), but sometimes on a long ride/run gels can be too much sweetness and this is a welcome change. Some of the online reviews I read said the berry flavor was pretty bad, but I can't speak to that first-hand. It packs a lot of calories (400) for a relatively small container with good electrolytes. My only complaints are: -It's rather thick and doesn't always pour easily out of the flask it comes in. I feel like I'm not able to get all of it out easily while biking. -You have to remember to tear off the protective wrapper ahead of time (I've had to pull over on the bike before) -I would prefer some caffeine in there too, which it does not have. TL;DR - Kona-Mocha is kinda tasty.
I bought a variety pack on Amazon (2 of each flavor) and so far no complaints. They're a nice change up from gels and the calories are great for those long days! Personally I like all 3 flavors although I do agree that Kona-Mocha is my favorite. My only issue with them is they're too big for my bento box and getting them out of my jersey isn't always the smoothest. If you ask me I'd give them a shot (no pun intended!)!

very punny 

thanks!

2017-05-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Blanda Hi! Chris was so kind to invite me to your group. I was once active here at BT a couple years ago. Now making a return to keep myself motivated to maintain my tri fitness while I find the right time and race for a full Ironman. I see a couple familiar faces! Hi, Yanti and Judi! NAME: Blanda OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: On FB, Blanda, and IG as blanda_5. Blanda on Strava, too. STORY: Retired Guam soccer player. Found multi sporting about 4/5 years ago and transferred my energies to them. Much kinder on my poor knees. Have done all distances up to half IM. FAMILY STATUS: Married 20 years to one cool dude, and we have 3 mostly lovely kids. Sometimes they're not so lovely, but still very loved, haha! CURRENT TRAINING: Currently doing a lot of biking, some running, but mostly strength training with Crossfit. I'd really, really like to like swimming again. I'm not the strongest swimmer and need to work on it, but I can't seem to get myself back in the water. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Was supposed to race Subic Bay 70.3 but I ended up super sick with gut rot the morning of race day, I kid you not. 2am woke up with a raging fever and thought I was going to die while all my fellow Guammies were gone racing. I have an Olympic that I'd like to PR at in July. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I just need to compete in something, anything. I can't just work out to to feel and look good. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I've found most BT folks to be really cool, but seeing Yanti and Judi here makes it feel like a reunion! :D

Hey Blanda! I remember you from previous BT challenges! Nice to see you back!

2017-05-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hi All. Proof of Life post. Lots going on here to keep me away. A wedding last weekend, getting ready for a 4 day gathering at our place here for Memorial Day. This has been going on for 35 years so it is fun to see long term friends (I hesitate to use the term Old Friends). But it is a lot of work. We are also getting the cabins not used during the winter ready for summer action and getting the house my Mom stays in ready for her summer stay here. I leave next weekend to fly down and get her and drive back here. Then, that Tuesday the hubster has to have his shoulder re-operated on. He was hoping to be back at cyclocross this fall. That is not going to happen. But he HAS to have this fixed so better sooner than later. My training has fallen by the way side but is going to be picked back up starting today!

Lots to catch up on in the Pod!

2017-05-25 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow! That will be emotional. I had forgotten that you lived in Manchester.  It's been an awful week for you, hasn't it :-(  Please know that we have all been thinking of your city.

We'll be thinking of you!

2017-05-25 12:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Wow! That will be emotional. I had forgotten that you lived in Manchester.  It's been an awful week for you, hasn't it :-(  Please know that we have all been thinking of your city.

I did not know you lived there. Good for you for doing the race!

2017-05-25 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

thanks!

I've used the Kona Mocha liquid shots on the bike for the my last few IMs.  I dilute it in my water. I like that I can carry it in my jersey pocket.

I'm giving Infinit a try now though :-o

ETA: By "dilute with water" I mean that I drink about one bottle of water an hour.  I put the water in my BTA bottle and add 1/2 of an EFS LS bottle to it. If the EFS sinks to the bottom, I blow bubbles with the straw to mix.

Edited by jmkizer 2017-05-25 12:49 PM
2017-05-25 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

thanks!

No, you need to keep the 5 oz flasks and buy the refill ;-)

You've been taking the EFS straight? I cannot do that. I need to mix it with my water.

2017-05-25 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

thanks!

Thanks! I'm starting to have to think about/test out my IM nutrition plan and I don't handle gels well! I am thinking of more solids on the bike with maybe some EFS to mix things up if I can handle it and, if so, use it on the run.  Good to hear the krona mocha is not bad since that is what I was looking at, plus the vanilla.  Thanks for the tip on the protective wrapper! Oh, and lack of caffeine is a plus for me

Solids on the bike work well for me unless I need to run afterward!

I'm pretty sure that I'll be using either EFS or Infinit in Louisville. I'll probably mix in some chews (Clif Shot blok or similar).

2017-05-25 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

thanks!

Solids on the bike work well for me unless I need to run afterward!

I'm pretty sure that I'll be using either EFS or Infinit in Louisville. I'll probably mix in some chews (Clif Shot blok or similar).

I'm not sure what kind of solids I will use, but I have some cliff bars I'm going to start trying out.  I'll cut them up so that i'm -in theory- eating every 15-20 minutes, so I don't slam all the calories at the start of each hour.  But I'm also thinking about some type of candy - I know some people have used payday or milky way bars.  I think I can support that idea!!  

2017-05-25 1:19 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

thanks!

No, you need to keep the 5 oz flasks and buy the refill ;-)

You've been taking the EFS straight? I cannot do that. I need to mix it with my water.

I just bought a refill so I plan to avoid that problem in the future as well

Mixing with water eh? I've been drinking them straight (half a bottle or so per serving). Does it taste OK mixed with water? I guess it would be easier to consume that way than trying to drink from a flask while moving.

2017-05-25 5:27 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by ceilidh

Oh Tom I am feeling for you and the people of your city and Yanti and the people of Indonesia (they also had a suicide bomber there this week). It will be a tough day for you both physically and mentally. Just remember that the Manatees will be with you in spirit the whole way.
2017-05-26 2:14 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK

Oh Tom I am feeling for you and the people of your city and Yanti and the people of Indonesia (they also had a suicide bomber there this week). It will be a tough day for you both physically and mentally. Just remember that the Manatees will be with you in spirit the whole way.

Thank you for all the kind comments it means a lot to me. The Manatees are such a great group and it has certainly helped me over the last year and half!
2017-05-26 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
They just interviewed the RD on CNN! Best wishes to you for your race (or walk or whatever it is--it's still taking part). This stuff just makes me sick--my students are the same age as many of those fans, they know about it, and I can't explain to them adequately how someone could do something like that. Many still seem to think it was an unhappy or mentally ill person who accidentally hurt others in the process of killing himself, and I don't have the heart to explain that it was deliberate mass murder. What a world our kids inherit (I don't have my own kids--my students are my kids)! I still remember the day I realized, during current events time at a previous school in China, that even my least advanced Mandarin student, a fifth grader, was able to say "suicide bomber" correctly in her second language. OMG

Impressed with the resilience your community has shown at this horrible time.
2017-05-26 1:18 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by tomsimper
Originally posted by StaceyK

Thank you for all the kind comments it means a lot to me. The Manatees are such a great group and it has certainly helped me over the last year and half!

Will be an emotional race for you indeed. Much love to you, your fellow burghers and visitors. I've just been reading Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling and somehow that made recent events even more sad.

2017-05-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

GO MANATEE RACERS !!!

So much going on as always. I'm recovering from pneumonia. It's not too bad but I'm still on antibiotics and fatigued.

Sat my Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach course last weekend and have a couple requirements still to fulfill. Been coaching a lot too. Ended up co-presenting at the course very humbled because word is going out (has gone out in several cases) to all the Western Australia tri clubs about donating gear, kit, etc. for Oscar's boys.

Albert was one of the younguns Oscar was coaching, passing on everything that I was teaching him. He lives in the same neighborhood, so basically a trash-filled sewer. He too wears his shoes down until his foot is hitting the ground. One week before Bintan Triathlon I noticed Albert's shoes from a pic his friend posted of him ... and made Albert send me close-ups. I was appalled. The little triangle is actually a patch. Anyway, we scrambled around and got him some new shoes. Then, at age 17, in his 2nd triathlon ever, and the Bintan triathlons being extremely competitive and internationally attended ... he came in 4th.

And immediately messaged me with "Sorry Coach I lose." I thought Oscar's ghost was there for a minute!

(05.27 Albert Shoe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
05.27 Albert Shoe.jpg (31KB - 1 downloads)

2017-05-26 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks to everyone for checking in this week!  Let's make it a regular thing 

2017-05-26 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 27-28
Stacey - HBF 12km on Sunday
Tom S. - Great Run Manchester half marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder (the shoulder is still healing but you can be on both the racer's list and the DL so...)

Our hearts to out to all those affected by terrorism in Manchester and anywhere else.

2017-05-26 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 27-28
Stacey - HBF 12km on Sunday
Tom S. - Great Run Manchester half marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder (the shoulder is still healing but you can be on both the racer's list and the DL so...)

Our hearts to out to all those affected by terrorism in Manchester and anywhere else.

Go Stacey and Tom! 

Feel better Yanti.

2017-05-26 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yanti, that reminds me...Can you reprint the Paypal address for donations for Oscar's kids? I remember I donated to the wrong one and I don't think I ever re-did it correctly! Sorry--life has been pretty chaotic here lately. Congrats to Albert on 4th at Bintan--I think we share that placing! Even if 4th in AG, that is pretty impressive. The teen tri scene in Singapore (I know it's Indonesia, but half of Singapore seems to show up at Bintan) is crazy fast.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102