General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 4 weeks to train for first tri-a sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-10 3:49 PM

Subject: 4 weeks to train for first tri-a sprint
i am a teacher and our elem school wellness committee is offering a triathlon- 300yd swim, 10 mile bike, 5k run -- the catch--in 28 days. this will be my first triathlon and i am not a coucher, but not in great shape. yesterday, at a slow comfortable pace, i swam 6 laps (in 12 minutes), stationary biked 5.2 miles (in 25 minutes), then ran huffing and puffing for 20 minutes stopping a few times for 30 seconds slow walks. my goals- become more fit, gain muscle, i don't care about winning, i'd like to do the entire race without stopping, finishing in the top 20 maybe or better if possible. i'm completely new to triathlons so i'm not sure what goal times in each leg of the race i should be shooting for. i'm 32 years old, 5 feet 8 inches, about 145 pounds... if that matters in you helping me design a plan.

i need some help please, coming up with a training program for the next 4 weeks to get me as prepared as possible. i could devote 4-6 days per week at about 45-60 minutes per day to training. thank you so much for spending some time helping me figure this out. greta

2006-09-10 3:52 PM
in reply to: #535650

Subject: RE: 4 weeks to train for first tri-a sprint
I dont have a bit of advice but just wanted to wish you good luck.
2006-09-10 3:52 PM
in reply to: #535652

well thank you!!! that's very kind. greta
2006-09-10 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Greta,

I just posted the following to another new user, but thought it may help some.  You have a much shorter timeframe but from your decription below, you should be able to make it.  4 weeks can make a big difference.  Just pick the "Couch to sprint" training plan and enter it with 4 weeks left.

Tammy, welcome to BT.  Just jump right in and choose a training plan and start doing it.  This site is wonderful and before you know it you will be chat and blogging with all sorts of people from all over the country.

As for training plans, this site has all sorts depending on your interest.  You may want to start with a "Couch to 5K" if running is of interest to you.  Also there is a plan for "Couch to Sprint" which would assist in preparing you for a sprint triathlon.  FYI...a sprint triathalon is just a shorter version of a longer tri.  You don't have to sprint the entire way.  A sprint is typically 400 yd swim, 10 to 15 mile bike and a 5k run.

The key is that you are interested and you have signed up to this site and want to get in better shape.  Good luck and good training!  "Keep on Tri'ing".

2006-09-10 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
You can do it. Practice 5-6 times per week. Work on your swim and run. You can coast your way through the bike.

Practice some bricks, which is doing two things back to back. Swim for 15 minutes, then go run for 15 minutes. Getting a feel for this will help you.
2006-09-10 5:22 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
that's good advice above. Keep in mind you don't have to swim-bike-run everyday. 2-3 days of each in a week should get you there...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 4 weeks to train for first tri-a sprint Rss Feed