General Discussion Triathlon Talk » *Super* novice advice for just starting the journey! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-21 10:56 AM

Subject: *Super* novice advice for just starting the journey!
Hi all-
Very happy to have found this resource! Cutting to the chase, here's my question: If you were to tell a complete novice how to train a year in advance for a Tri (most likely sprint/long shot Olympic distance)- What would that entail? (Loose training plans fine; any advice at all appreciated!) Some context: I'm a late 20-something, female, work in a creative field + a survival job in NYC, and only recently for the very first time have started to become a fitness enthusiast; very new to everything as I have never been "athletic" before (besides a bout of gymnastics/soccer when I was young). It's an odd thing that I have somehow managed to set my heart on doing a Tri by next year, and yet, the seed has been planted and it's all I have been thinking about! I don't even own a bike, so I need to save up my $$ (artist's life in NY, y'all) to purchase. Any practical suggestions, like when is the latest/earliest I absolutely need to buy a bike, or without being able to afford a personal coach, how often should I be practicing each sport, what are the best free coaching resources/books/etc. I'm pacing the endeavor, as to not bite off more then I can chew. In terms of fitness level, it's all new- I can tell you I'm thin (117 pounds/5'4) but working on strength for the next 3 months with a body weight/calisthenics program (not strong at all at the moment) and I've been biking 5 miles on a gym bike + running straight through for about 24 minutes, about 2 miles. I'm going to start swimming- had a pool growing up and absolutely love swimming, but not sure how to use proper form.
So given all this, with about a year out, how should I be training/practicing?
Sorry for looong post! Any advice at all would be helpful!

Thanks and well wishes to all!

Jo

2017-05-21 2:21 PM
in reply to: JojoKeiko11

, Texas
Subject: RE: *Super* novice advice for just starting the journey!
I can definitely pass on advice given to me. There are a good number of decent sprint training programs on this website and on the internet. I would take a look at those to get an idea of what training looks like. If you know you are weak in one area, focus on that area until you get stronger!

If at all possible, hire a swim coach to learn the proper form for crawl/freestyle. I learned how to swim when I was in fifth grade, but never really swam until two years ago. It took me months to feel like I was making any progress, and still longer to feel comfortable swimming. From experience, be patience with swimming. I cannot say that any part of swimming came easy for me, especially learning proper form. I talk with a lot of people, and the vast majority say that they have never felt as un-athletic as they did while swimming laps. The only way to improve in swimming is to swim and get the basics down. Eventually, I think weight lifting would help, but I think to be able to swim well, a lot of it is just spending time getting comfortable in the water.

There are tons of youtube videos from olympic swimmers working with swim brands to put proper swimming techniques videos up. Take the time to search from some of these and do the drills in the water. When I was first learning, I felt so silly doing drills. Now, I often go back to basic drills because they make the difference. Though not free, the total immersion book helped me learn to be more efficient with swimming. I actually mainly learned to do butterfly stroke from watching youtube videos over and over and over. I would recommend getting a kickboard and pullbouy if your pool doesn't offer those. They help isolate parts of your stroke so you can focus on technique without exhausting yourself. You may be lucky to get some advice from other swimmers or coachs while swimming!

Also, make sure you know lap swimming etiquette. I think this gets looked over often, but as someone who has had others join my lane and swim straight into me, I cannot stress the importance. Read the rules of the pool to know if lanes are assigned by fast/medium/slow. Always alert a swimmer already in the lane that you plan to join them (either circle swimming or splitting the lane), and make sure to stick to your side of the lane. If someone touches your foot, pause at the wall to let them pass.

For the bike, maybe see if a friend or family member can loan you one until you actually participate in a triathlon and decide its something you truly want to continue with. Bikes are expensive, even used ones in my opinion. I am currently using bikes at the gym instead of biking on a real bike. Go by time and RPMs instead of by mileage on the bike. The machines aren't are never calibrated.

I hope this helps! Form another 20-something year old girl, best of luck!!!!
2017-05-21 4:01 PM
in reply to: JojoKeiko11

A lot of your questions you'll figure out along the way. Ideally, get a bike as soon as possible to take advantage of the warmer months. There are plenty of training plans available on this website. You don't need a coach to train and race, you can learn to swim via you tube and practice. Don't over complicate things, focus on the basics of the three sports. Good luck.
2017-05-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Looking at plans here is good advice. Makes sense to work on basic foundation of fitness. It won't take a year. I'm guessing you can be in good shape in three months and then start and stick with a plan here. I like doing the custom plans, you can adjust how long you want it to be and what days you want to do b,s, or run.
I find putting my workouts on the log here helpful.

It really is a process. Think one workout at a time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » *Super* novice advice for just starting the journey! Rss Feed