General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-19 11:43 PM

Subject: Brand new
Hi I'm nikki I'm 26 and I realized that I want to make doing triathlons my thing!

I was a heptathleat when I started college and was blessed to do it for about two year but unfortunately due to injury had to stop. Since then I found the man I am going to marry and am just about finished with beauty school ( I'm going to be an esthetician). I realized that I have about 8 weeks left till school is over and once that's done the only goal left I have is to find a job in that field. I have always told people that I wanted to be that women in her 70s still doing triathlons and now seems like the perfect time to start! I am completely terrified about doing a triathlon I have no idea where to start but when I think of doing one I think of the future I can have with doing this sport. I'm no Olympian but when I told myself " nikki your going to do a triathlon next year" I felt like I had a goal again and that even though leaving track and field was the hardest thing for me, I feel like I'm getting part of me back! So please any advice for a new comer would be great!!!
Thank you!!! ??

2017-06-20 9:19 AM
in reply to: Nikkicoop45

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Brand new

Welcome Nikki!  

It's great that you're starting a 45-year journey to be that woman in her 70's doing triathlons.  

With your track & field background, you should already understand that consistent and quality workouts are important.  It's a lifestyle.  

Newcomer advice:

Swimming is very technical.  You may marvel at that "out-of-shape" swimmer who swims circles around you.  Understand that (s)he probably spent years swimming competitively as a child and learned good technique and that "feel" for the water.  Instead of thrashing around by yourself, get some instruction and learn the good technique.  

What you need in a bicycle is 2 good wheels, brakes, and a comfortable riding position.   Think about the types of riding you'll do from high-speed training rides to cruising the neighborhood to bombing down singletracks and start with a versatile bike even if it isn't the "fastest" in any one thing.  I had a 10-speed (skinny tires, dropped handlebars) in high-school that I rode for years, but cruising the neighborhoods with my family, I was forever dealing with glass and flat tires.  I bought a mountain bike and started enjoying the rides more.  Now I'm back to road/tri bikes mostly but still ride the mountain bike around town for errands.  In addition to a bicycle, you'll want a helmet, repair kit, frame pump or inflator, and sunglasses (to keep bugs out of your eyes).  What's the best bike to own?  THE ONE YOU RIDE REGULARLY!!

You've already got a running background.  This is where the next bit of advice becomes important.

Forget your past capability!  It doesn't matter if you *used* to run 5 minute miles.  It doesn't matter if you *used* to run 6 days a week.  You'll hurt yourself trying to get back there quickly and frustrate yourself trying to get back there period.  You won't recover as quickly at 26 as you did at 20.  You won't recover at 50 as quickly as you did at 26!  I'm trying to keep this in mind as I fall off the triathlete recovery wagon (i.e. I start training again).  

2017-06-20 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5222679

Thank you so much for ur advice I think swimming is going to be my biggest battle
2017-06-21 9:17 AM
in reply to: Nikkicoop45

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Nikkicoop45 Thank you so much for ur advice I think swimming is going to be my biggest battle

Psyche may be your biggest battle!  

Our minds are wonderful creations, capable of a range of thoughts and somehow our experiences often align with our mental predictions.  

If you approach learning to swim like a battle, it will be one and you'll most likely be frustrated with every little defeat.  

Channel your inner sea-turtle or dolphin or even sea otter.  Set a mental image of that serene, graceful, tropical lagoon and you moving effortlessly through the calming waters and you'll find delight with every new discovery.  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new Rss Feed