Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Charleston - your restaurant recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-30 12:27 PM

User image

Buttercup
Subject: Charleston - your restaurant recommendations

We are soon visiting Charleston and looking for restaurant recommendations for dinner. We prefer white-linen-table quality restaurants, preferably not a Southern cooking/food type. Also, looking for something that is not a tourist hub/destination. Hubby likes just about everything except Indian food.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2017-06-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Charleston - your restaurant recommendations
Please tell me you're doing that trip in your boat. If so, how long of a sail is that?

Never been to SC, so I have no dining recommendations. Sorry for minor hijack.
2017-07-02 3:31 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Buttercup

Sorry, no, we are not sailing to Charleston. If we sailed 8 hours/day, tied up in a marina or yacht club each night, it would take us about 16 days. If we sailed non-stop, it would take about 6 days. That's exhausting to say the least. Then we'd have the return sail.

We had dinner with friends last night. One of them proposed chartering a sailboat within the vicinity August lunar eclipse pathway, off the eastern coast. We might be doing that. Depends on what she finds with respect to charter availability.

2017-07-03 5:44 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I was hoping you were embarking on an epic adventure of sorts. If memory serves me I thought you were up in NH; sailing to Charleston from there would qualify as adventure IMO. Had that been the case, I was going to beg you to post a trip journal if possible. I've always wanted to sail the Caribbean for a few months myself. It will probably never happen for me as I can't get my wife on the water in anything that displaces less than 80,000 pounds and has a cabin steward.
2017-07-03 9:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Buttercup

We are seriously contemplating a move to NH. Last year we toured marinas and yacht clubs along the NH and Maine coasts. When weighed against the very brief sailing season (3-4 mos), we decided it would not be worth the hassle or expense of maintaining a 40 ft sailboat up there. If we move up there, we will downsize or give up boat ownership. A third option would be to downsize to something we could keep dry-docked in Florida and use if we decide to do the snowbird routine. We can always charter a boat.

If we decide to sell our 40ft boat, it is my hope that my husband will let me sail it to Annapolis and leave it with a broker there. It took him 47 days to sail from Annapolis to St Pete, but he is very much a leisure oriented sailor and I would keep a different schedule. It would take at least a month, assuming fair winds all the way and no mechanical delays. At the earliest, the trip would happen next April. He's trying to distract me with a sailing trip to the Dry Tortugas. I say, why not both?

My husband takes 2 annual week-long sailing trips with his buddies. Just the boys. Perhaps this is something to look forward to if your wife has no interest in joining you? If you can learn to fly, learning to sail will be a piece of cake. It's summer - find your local Thursday night race and tell them you are "crew looking for boat."

p.s. go to activecaptain.com and use the map to find nearby yacht clubs. That's where you'll find a Thursday night race.

Edited by Renee 2017-07-03 9:21 AM
2017-07-03 7:49 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
It'd be hard to leave the St. Pete area if it was me. We've spent quite a bit of time just south at Lido Key. I really enjoy Columbia restaurant in St. Armands Circle. Our last experience wasn't the greatest, but the manager stepped in and made it right. Sorry, hijacking the heck out of this thread!

I edited some video and images for a co-worker last year. He'd already made the sail trip to the Dry T's. This trip he had his sister with him, so they flew in. The images aren't the best, but it looks like it would be an interesting place to visit. The date stamp indicates 2012, but he actually visited a couple years ago. Be best to arrive by boat and enjoy the solitude in the evenings after the tourists have gone home. I couldn't imagine the lives of the troops who served at this post when it was in service. It had to get lonely. Morale issues were probably the biggest challenge command had to contend with.

So yes, I think you should definitely push for BOTH trips!

Edited by mdg2003 2017-07-03 7:56 PM

(1.jpg)

(5.jpg)

(2.jpg)

(3.jpg)

(4.jpg)

(6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1.jpg (100KB - 6 downloads)
5.jpg (129KB - 5 downloads)
2.jpg (124KB - 5 downloads)
3.jpg (119KB - 5 downloads)
4.jpg (219KB - 5 downloads)
6.jpg (277KB - 5 downloads)

2017-07-05 3:34 PM

User image

Buttercup

I lunched at The Columbia in St Armands just last month (and the month before). Just a few doors down from there is a specialty foods boutique; it is my source for lemon stuffed olives which I

We find the heat/humidity oppressive (113 last week), so much so that I cringe at the thought of getting on the boat from July - September. As I've aged, I find that I tolerate the heat a lot less than I used to. We're going to start doing sunset sails to get more summer use out of it. Unfortunately, that's about the time we've been having our daily storm cell pass through. We're thinking we'll enjoy winter sports (we both ski) in VT or NH. I'm looking forward to hiking and maybe even mountain biking again. Alan's son lives up there, so closer to family, too. It's just prettier up there. Unless you're on the water, Florida is kinda' ugly. We actually love our house and neighborhood (and we live on the water!), but as soon as you leave the neighborhood, it's just strip malls and chain restaurants.

Today, Alan announced that he found online a property on Lake Champlain with a boat dock, so he might not be ready to give up sailing after all. Much less costly when you own your own dock. Sometimes, I think we might be too caught up in finding the best of all worlds for us. Then again, why not?

Oh, so Dry Tortugas. We are going to sail it around next April, along with some friends who will sail their boat down, too. The passage from Naples to Dry T is a non-stop venture and there is no cell or radio out there. I think it will be about a 10-12 day trip.

Edited by Renee 2017-07-05 3:49 PM
2017-07-05 6:46 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Mmm, sounds like ( I had to look up the name, but have been in there a few times ) A Savory Palate? I love olives, though I've never tried lemon stuffed before. I have a mission on my next visit. After dinner, my girls insist on running across to LeMacaron to load up on macarons. Lovely place to idle away a few hours once you find parking. Next time you visit just sit somewhere and people watch. There's a pretty diverse and interesting group of people flowing through the circle at any given time. People gawking on par with most international airports!

Be sure to post up pics of your trip when you get back next year. Provided BT is still alive by then.
2017-07-06 9:22 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Buttercup

Yes, A Savory Palate! They carry orange stuffed olives which I recommend, as well. Alan likes the Abuela's Recipe which is an onion brine. I'm not a fan; ymmv.

I like to sit outside the Columbia, lunch and people watch.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Charleston - your restaurant recommendations Rss Feed