BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by rrrunner

I saw my chiropractor yesterday for the first time since Choo.  He's done IMTX. He was commenting on my 1:08 swim and said he expects that kind of swim from me in future events. Um, sure

Reading that as swim focus forthcoming? 

2017-10-18 9:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

The mind is a funny thing, it has already blocked my race pain and erased my vow never to try another IM! I'm now thinking about a redemption race.  Of course, as soon as I started thinking about it I got a pain behind my right eye- which is my tension pain place, so maybe I need to give this a bit more thought

Well, I kind of figured either a redemption race or vow along the lines of never,,, World's Stupidest Distance.

During the event I thought "world's stupidest distance", but now i'm pretty sure i need redemption!!

I had those feelings too. May be more the exception in not going for the redemption though. So much stuff to do I didn't want to spend so much time for something that wasn't really fun. Don't know if anyone remembers KTPitbull, but she was trying to have me go do Great Floridian since it wasn't that long after the old IMLou date, but I said no. But for me it was also the style of racing. The lack of fun was from have to restrain so much from going hard at any point, and that's one strong reason I sign up for races. I don't think that's quite the case for you though, weather/conditions had much more to do with it. Colder is where I'd thrive though.

2017-10-18 9:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Really curious what my swim would have been if swimming DOWNriver at Chattanooga. I was about 7 1/2 minutes slower than my best HIM split (admittedly--that was "special"--I had a tear in my wetsuit and swam it pretty much all out, terrified it would destruct mid-race and I would drown, or reeze to death) and 5 minutes slower than a typical one. I'm sure being sick accounted for a minute or two of that discrepancy, but still--2/3 of that turkey was upriver on what felt like a swim treadmill. Wonder if I could be into the 20's for HIM downriver?? Or sub-1 for full IM?
2017-10-19 6:17 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Really curious what my swim would have been if swimming DOWNriver at Chattanooga. I was about 7 1/2 minutes slower than my best HIM split (admittedly--that was "special"--I had a tear in my wetsuit and swam it pretty much all out, terrified it would destruct mid-race and I would drown, or reeze to death) and 5 minutes slower than a typical one. I'm sure being sick accounted for a minute or two of that discrepancy, but still--2/3 of that turkey was upriver on what felt like a swim treadmill. Wonder if I could be into the 20's for HIM downriver?? Or sub-1 for full IM?

TJ can chime in here, but I think the water release this year was even more than previous years and people flew down the river. I have no doubt you'd be sub 1!

2017-10-19 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

The mind is a funny thing, it has already blocked my race pain and erased my vow never to try another IM! I'm now thinking about a redemption race.  Of course, as soon as I started thinking about it I got a pain behind my right eye- which is my tension pain place, so maybe I need to give this a bit more thought

Well, I kind of figured either a redemption race or vow along the lines of never,,, World's Stupidest Distance.

During the event I thought "world's stupidest distance", but now i'm pretty sure i need redemption!!

I had those feelings too. May be more the exception in not going for the redemption though. So much stuff to do I didn't want to spend so much time for something that wasn't really fun. Don't know if anyone remembers KTPitbull, but she was trying to have me go do Great Floridian since it wasn't that long after the old IMLou date, but I said no. But for me it was also the style of racing. The lack of fun was from have to restrain so much from going hard at any point, and that's one strong reason I sign up for races. I don't think that's quite the case for you though, weather/conditions had much more to do with it. Colder is where I'd thrive though.

I think i'm more suited for mid-distance races, but I have a really hard time leaving things undone!!  I think you made the right decision saying no to the Great Floridian - it is my bike training course, so I know it well.  It is this weekend and no way I'm doing it!!  The race is tough, swim is in a lake, so no current to fight or give assistance, but it is dark and does have gators (!);  bike is harder than l-ville ; run is not flat and has no shade; and it is usually hot and humid. Very small race with no crowd support, so you are on your own a lot! 

2017-10-19 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've had the same feeling about full IM. Part of the reason I've really been in no hurry to do one (the other being the physical misery and mental boredom of training for it in a tropical country with hideous traffic--would have to be almost 100% pre-dawn runs, trainer rides, and pool swims). Physically, I'm way better at endurance than speed, and the distance would probably be right up my alley (assuming that I could run--minor detail...) But mentally--I just love to find that red line and ride it as long as I can. Unless one happens to be Daniela Ryf, that doesn't strike me as a smart pacing concept for full IM. I'm pretty sure I would kill myself by pushing too hard on the bike and/or early part of the run, then pay for it later. Or I would spend the whole race agonizing about, "Am I going hard enough? Too hard? Not hard enough?" and just find it tedious.

2017-10-19 9:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Hot Runner Really curious what my swim would have been if swimming DOWNriver at Chattanooga. I was about 7 1/2 minutes slower than my best HIM split (admittedly--that was "special"--I had a tear in my wetsuit and swam it pretty much all out, terrified it would destruct mid-race and I would drown, or reeze to death) and 5 minutes slower than a typical one. I'm sure being sick accounted for a minute or two of that discrepancy, but still--2/3 of that turkey was upriver on what felt like a swim treadmill. Wonder if I could be into the 20's for HIM downriver?? Or sub-1 for full IM?

TJ can chime in here, but I think the water release this year was even more than previous years and people flew down the river. I have no doubt you'd be sub 1!

Absolutlely! I think the pros were in the 45-50 minute range at Choo this year. But, as others have said, the flow was much higher this year because of the hurricanes. WTC always asks the water authority to slow the river but this year it couldn't be slowed as much because of the pressure upstream.

2017-10-19 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just got an email for an off-road du in Moab. I'm intrigued and scared. Which, for me, is usually a recipe for signing up

2017-10-19 12:39 PM

Master
Northern IL

Absolutlely! I think the pros were in the 45-50 minute range at Choo this year. But, as others have said, the flow was much higher this year because of the hurricanes. WTC always asks the water authority to slow the river but this year it couldn't be slowed as much because of the pressure upstream.

It looks like 2nd pack pro women were 45-50 for so. Kelly Williamson is a 1st pack swimmer and was up alone at 42 minutes. Men would have been breaking 40.

2017-10-19 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It looks like 2nd pack pro women were 45-50 for so. Kelly Williamson is a 1st pack swimmer and was up alone at 42 minutes. Men would have been breaking 40.

If I'm reading it correctly, the fastest AG man was 41:18

2017-10-19 1:04 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by lisac957

I hear Chattanooga 2018 is where it's at! 

Yeah, Ann-Marie let me know when you are ready for me to put on the hard sell

2017-10-19 1:50 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I just got an email for an off-road du in Moab. I'm intrigued and scared. Which, for me, is usually a recipe for signing up

DUUUUU eeeeeet!!!    It sounds totally fun!

2017-10-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

It does. My mtb skills are severely lacking. OTH it gives me some quality time with DH because he enjoys MTB. I've got till early March

It's pricey, tho. $75 for an 8k run, 13k bike. $100 if you also want to do the 8k run on Sunday.  $100 for a team (DH could ride, I could run) but I'm not crazy about that idea. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it.

2017-10-19 2:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

If I'm reading it correctly, the fastest AG man was 41:18

Yes, thought you were trying to normalize the swim since it has a current? Using pro info usually works better, unless you know someone in particular. Age group could have some more variation in it even though it is a larger sample size. Williamson is quite good in the water, regularly one of the first few out, even at Kona, which tends to also mean consistent.

2017-10-19 2:40 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by lisac957

I hear Chattanooga 2018 is where it's at! 

Yeah, Ann-Marie let me know when you are ready for me to put on the hard sell

haha, I'm giving myself about 2 weeks post race to figure out whether or not I will do a redemption race and, if so, which one.

2017-10-19 3:35 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It does. My mtb skills are severely lacking. OTH it gives me some quality time with DH because he enjoys MTB. I've got till early March

It's pricey, tho. $75 for an 8k run, 13k bike. $100 if you also want to do the 8k run on Sunday.  $100 for a team (DH could ride, I could run) but I'm not crazy about that idea. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it.

If this is the correct race, http://trainingrx.com/duathlon.html they would have me at 'dinosaur dancefloor'.

2017-10-19 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

If this is the correct race, http://trainingrx.com/duathlon.html they would have me at 'dinosaur dancefloor'.

That's the one. Shall we commit together?

2017-10-19 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

hahahaha

You wrote that in the wrong place if you are expecting much other than

DOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
2017-10-20 9:44 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That's the one. Shall we commit together?

Sadly, it's still hockey season in March and I have a game that day. 

2017-10-20 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 21-22
Anne - Cuban Gravel Crisis, Cuba, MO on Saturday
Melanie - Stroudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12k on Saturday
Lisa - PNC Atlanta 10-miler
Stacey - Rotto half marathon on Sunday
TJ - Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday

October 22 is Stacey's birthday

Happy belated birthday to Anne, who celebrated hers on October 16th.

2017-10-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 21-22

Wow, lots of racers racing lots of different distances!  Go, go go!

Happy belated bday Anne and happy early bday Stacey!

2017-10-20 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

October 21-22

Go Racers! I hope that you all have fun.

Anne I hope you had a great birthday and Ann-Marie, Janine and Jim I hope you are all feeling almost normal again after your IM last weekend.
2017-10-20 8:07 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

October 21-22

Go racers!! Have a blast!
2017-10-21 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

This looks like an AMAZING race! I have a friend that just spent a week MTBing in Moab. The photos were wonderful! Of course you need to DOOOOOOOOO EEETTTT

2017-10-21 8:35 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

October 21-22

Go racers!! Have a blast!

Have wonderful races, all. The MCM is such a great race!

I am doing a night trail race with the family tonight. Well, I should say I am registered. I may have to bail if the trail is to gnarly and rocky. I was told by my doc this week that if I hit or fall on my hand, I could irreparably damage it. I have never done a trail race or a night race, but I am really familiar with the area. It just depends on which trails  they choose to see if I feel comfortable with it. Also, there may be people "haunting" the trail, jumping out at folks.  Fun stuff. The whole family is going to be runing, too.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44