Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2017-09-28 7:31 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: NFL
After I retire I've been thinking about a second career driving the Zamboni at the hockey game. Looks like it'd be more fun than mixing paint at Lowes in the paint department. I think it'd be fun to drive the Zamboni with a big black magician's hat! Why? So the fans can see a hat trick.....

argh. It's early, I need coffee.....hot and black as the gates of hell.

2017-09-28 8:01 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Rogillio I think it'd be fun to drive the Zamboni with a big black magician's hat! Why? So the fans can see a hat trick.
Damn son.....how about this....you stick to aggravating dmiller....I'll do the jokes.
2017-09-28 8:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree with Rogillo AND 3mar.  For sure the players can have their say if the owners want to let them.  For sure I can spend my leisure money somewhere that I don't have to watch a protest.....because I ain't paying to see that. (if I have to watch a protest, I'm getting paid.....well.  Ya'll can decide how much you want to put up with....I'm smiling at everybody I meet )  Everybody should be happy.  It'll all come out in the wash and we'll see what will be.

Hockey season is about to start......it's all good.

Now, now, let's not be in a rush to start hockey when there's still a month of baseball to go. Well, not for the Cardinals. But for some teams. Let's go Cubs!

2017-09-28 8:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I'm sure the NFL would love for this to go away, but I also don't think they're too worried about it. Stadiums (except the ones in southern California, LMAO!) are still full, no sponsors have left the league, and the NFL has their tv contracts signed through 2022. Lower ratings might start to hurt the networks a little, but the league is fine right now.

By the time tv contracts are up for renewal again, no one will care about this. Something like Pepsi or Anhueser Busch pulling their sponsorship happens, then you'll see a swift crackdown from the owners. But a couple hundred people on twitter burning jerseys and tickets ain't gonna do it. Until the league actually starts to lose money, they can sit on the fence and ride all this out. 

Edited by Bob Loblaw 2017-09-28 8:46 AM
2017-09-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My wife has been buying my wife's aunt (and Godmother) NFL team gear for years.  She gets an e-mail the other day saying she's going to send it all back because of this kneeling crap.

Really??  First of all, I don't need 20 years worth of stuff showing up at my door in a big box.  Second, get the hell over yourself.  Good grief.

2017-09-28 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by spudone

Demonstrate all you want but do so without disrespecting the US flag.

OK this is one part I absolutely hate hearing.  Remember the old quote: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

When the national anthem plays, take a moment to remember that this freedom is what we are placing value on.  It's not freedom if it's conditional.

Every freedom is conditional! You have freedom of speech but try walking into a Starbucks (in Seattle) and start talking about the evils of homosexual sin and see how long you get to exercise that freedom before someone takes you out or has your arrested. We have freedom of press but start writing that people should rise up in armed revolution against the government and see where that gets you. But back to the football game....I paid $85 for my seat to the football game with the expectation of seeing football. I didn't come to watch your 'protest' and disrespect the American flag. NFL is a business! If your employees pizs off customers you have a problem!! A few years ago my wife was in Barnes and Noble and the cashier had several tongue piercings. My wife was so disgusted she went and talked to the manager. She said respectfully that she was disgusted having to talk to the clerk because of all the piercings. The manager explained that B&N policy allowed the piercings. My wife politely said, "I understand. Books-A-Million is only about 1/2 mile from here." The manager said she understood and would send my wife's feedback up the chain. As an employee I agree to a certain code of conduct. If I became a skinhead, shaved my head and got a swastika tattooed on my forehead, I'd be fired in a NY minute. Yes, I have freedom of expression but there are conditions.....
You would not be arrested in the starbucks unless you were infringing on other rights. It's not against the law. Other patrons may utilize their right to counter you, but if they touch you, or infringe on your rights, they will be arrested. You may be asked to leave since it is a private establishment, and if you don't, you will be arrested. Just like going into a Christian bookstore and preaching marriage equality will likely get you asked to leave...and if you don't, you can be arrested. You have the right to do either outside of either store. What's the issue here? The NFL has the right to allow the protest. You have the right to not give them your business. What's the issue again? It's the NFL's business to run...quick getting your panties in a bunch about it. Rights go both ways...chill.
Keep your hands and your metaphors off my panties mister! I'm not upset or angry or distraught or disillusioned or disheartened or disgusted or disgruntled....I am mostly just amused. Every time I look at Facebook I see more and more people burning fan stuff and avowing to never again support the NFL. The left made a HUGE miscalculation. Never bet against patriotism. Never be on the opposite side of the debate when US servicemen and veterans are involved. You can wax eloquently all you want about the right to protest but to the family of a service member who lost a limb or lost their life all they hear is bla, bla, bla. To them the flag is sacred....much as the cross is to Christians. People just need to use some wisdom.....don't show up at the PETA rally with ribeye on your breath and A-1 stains on your tie.

Very well said.  There's no question the players have the right to protest in any legal manner they want, it's just a matter of picking how you protest.  I can run through the street naked to protest high cholesterol at McDonalds, but my message will be wiped out by everyone throwing up seeing me running naked in the street. 
I feel people are so off-put by the nature of the protest that the actual protest is being lost completely. 
The NFL has been gradually sliding anyways because of cable cutters, lack of attention span in younger generation, etc.  This doesn't help their cause and I do feel it's going to have a noticeable financial impact on them.
Generally speaking there's a big percentage of NFL fans that are flyover country conservative types.  Protesting the flag and anthem just isn't going to go over very well.  

2017-09-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

My wife has been buying my wife's aunt (and Godmother) NFL team gear for years.  She gets an e-mail the other day saying she's going to send it all back because of this kneeling crap.

Really??  First of all, I don't need 20 years worth of stuff showing up at my door in a big box.  Second, get the hell over yourself.  Good grief.

She's just jumping on the bandwagon.

I hear black activists say all the time "you cannot possibly know what it means to be black because you are not black". I have come to believe this more and more. But I don't anyone that really knows what it's like to be someone other than who they are. How could you? Those demonstrating against the flag have no idea what it's like to be a man who loves his country so much, standing and singing the national anthem causes his eyes to water. So I will assume the demonstrators just don't get it. And if they do get it, then shame on them.

So cut you wife's auntie some slack....she is angry and 'sending the gear back' is something tangible she wants to do that might help assuage her anger.

Edited by Rogillio 2017-09-28 11:42 AM
2017-09-28 4:44 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Just saw this, and agree. 

2017-09-30 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
NFL football is capitalism on steroids. Supply and demand economics will take care of this situation if we allow it to runs its course. We as consumers control demand. Simply turn off the game. When revenue slows to a trickle, the people that control supply will be forced to address the problem. Release the players that kneel and let them protest in the CFL if they will hire them. I'm not going to lose sleep over this issue one way or the other, but I'm not watching any more football until they address the problem.

2017-09-30 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tuwood

Holy carp! Chuck Woolery has a twitter account, or is that one of those St Petersburg, Russia phoney-baloney tweets?
2017-09-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Holy carp! Chuck Woolery has a twitter account, or is that one of those St Petersburg, Russia phoney-baloney tweets?

Chuck needs to update his pic. Isn't he like 94 years old by now?

2017-09-30 9:29 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by mdg2003

Chuck needs to update his pic. Isn't he like 94 years old by now?
Is a game show host thing. They don't age.
2017-10-03 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

So I think I finally figured out why this makes me so mad.  This past weekend I was at Yom Kippur services and our Rabbi's sermon portion began by describing how crazy people get for their sports, specifically football.  You plan the time to watch the game, get your gear on, make your food. You watch the game and cheer the good plays, curse the bad.  All this while hoping your team pulls off the win, even when their bad.  Listening got me really excited as I could really visualize how much I love watching football.  (I have no idea where he went after that, because all I could think about was how happy I am watching football.

It was then that I realized that the protests upset me because they are trying to distract from MY football.  And when someone tries intentionally to take something from you that you love, you fight back.  At that moment, you don't care why they are doing it, you want to protect what is yours.  This is what they are doing to me and tons of other people.  At that point their cause doesn't matter.  I agree with them that if there is social injustice, it is a topic worth discussing, but since they are interrupting my football, I no longer care.  Sorry, but that is my opinion.  Some people are planning to stop watching.  But I love watching football, so that will not be me.  Instead, I want to metaphorically punch them in the face.  Leave my love alone.  

While obviously football is just a game, if you were to swap football with other things you love I think you can relate.  Say they decided to protest at the start of your child's school play?  Say the doctor wanted to kneel in protest before delivering your baby?  Say the Priest or Rabbi wanted to protest before your wedding?  In all these cases you would no longer care about the reason for their protest, you would just want to stop them so you could enjoy the event without it being tarnished.

I hope you all on both sides can understand why so many people are upset.  There is a time and a place for everything.  Picking and choosing that time can make all the difference in success or failure.

2017-10-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
Tejas
CNN is back to doing what they do best -

(Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 4.43.48 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 4.43.48 PM.png (803KB - 0 downloads)
2017-10-08 6:26 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Oooh, they've revised it.

(Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 6.25.01 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 6.25.01 PM.png (793KB - 0 downloads)
2017-10-09 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
A much as I hate to admit it, the NFL CF has given me new insight....a revelation...an epiphany. For years I head black men make the argument that "you, as a white man, do not know what it is like to be black....to walk down the street and be eye suspiciously....to be assumed to packin' or carrying drugs etc'.

While I accepted that I could not possibly know what it was like to be black, I dismissed this because I could certainly imagine how it would feel. I've been harassed and tortured by cops and I've looked down the end of a cops loaded pistol pointed at my face on two occasions. So yeah, I pretty much know how it feels to be a black man. ppft.

Then when they started diss'ing the flag and National Anthem I got angry. All the garbage of having a 'right to protest the flag' meant nothing to me. All I could think about was Arlington...and Normandy and Iwo Jima and the thousands who volunteered to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan and came home in a flag draped casket. I cringed thinking how I'd feel if my son had gone to fight and died....taking away all he had and all he was ever gonna have. I think about how I'd miss him every day for the rest of my life....and the only comfort I'd have is knowing he'd died fighting for American values in service to America. I think about the pride of being an American. I've done a lot of international travel and my favorite part of traveling is coming home and going thru US customs/immigration and pulling out that blue passport that says 'I am an American' and then hearing the immigration officer stamp my passport and say, "Welcome home." Home indeed. It was good to be reminded America is my home.

And then it occurred to me, those disrespecting the flag have not idea what it is to be me. If they did, they would honor the flag as a symbol of all that is good about America. Protest all you want, I am usually amused and mostly ambivalent to protests because I view them as just whining and complaining. But burn the flag or sit during the National Anthem and I will never support your cause....even if it was something I agree with.

When you disrespect our country you are saying to me "I am not one of you. I am not like you. I don't share your sappy love of this country. I don't have your sense of pride and a patriotism. I don't feel thankful like you for having been born in America."

Rant over, back on my head.

2017-10-09 9:57 AM

User image

Pro

You forgot the Civil War , WWI, Korea and Vietnam.....but yeah, that's how I feel too.

2017-10-09 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I just see this as another manifestation of the "America - love it or leave it" argument of the 60's. It all comes down to how you personally feel about what the flag means to you.
2017-10-09 1:10 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I just see this as another manifestation of the "America - love it or leave it" argument of the 60's. It all comes down to how you personally feel about what the flag means to you.

Good point. I think how you feel about your country is a reflection of how you feel about yourself. If you are successful, optimistic, hopeful person then you probably feel good about your country.

When I was in college I was backpacking around Europe. I was out drinking with some Italian kids about my age. They said, "It must be great to be an American. I wish I was an American." I remember how odd that sounded to me! How could anyone say that about another country!? Did they not have pride in their own country? I felt sorry for them....and for some reason I felt guilty at the same time....as if I'd received an award or gift that I did not disserve or earn. But it wasn't my fault...I didn't get to vote on where I'd be born.

Over the next 30 years or so I have visited over 30 counties around the world and I there is no doubt the USA is the envy of the world.
2017-10-09 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
USA is known the world around as the place to be if you want to make money. Where we lose many is in the freedom argument, I'm not so sure that we have the lock on that aspect of society that we often think we do. The Europeans I know roll their eyes at the idea that the USA is playing on a whole different plane concerning personal freedoms.
2017-10-10 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

USA is known the world around as the place to be if you want to make money. Where we lose many is in the freedom argument, I'm not so sure that we have the lock on that aspect of society that we often think we do. The Europeans I know roll their eyes at the idea that the USA is playing on a whole different plane concerning personal freedoms.

I think the Second Amendment sets us apart from most, if not all, of Europe....and the rest of the world too. But your point is taken.

Outside of Europe things can get real dicey and the things we take for granted are simply not there. Several years ago we were conducting test at Kwajalein in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. Some Greenpeace people were intent on disrupting the testing. One of them ran ashore just before a missile launch and the launch had to be aborted....but the Marshallese police caught him. The took him back to Ebye (another island in the atoll - not spelled right), stripped him down naked and put him in a 6x6 stone cell. They left him there like that for 3 or 4 days with no food. I imagined the guy was waiting for his "one phone call" that was his right......but this was not America....he had no right.

When I was in Singapore I noticed there was no trash anywhere on the subway and no graffiti anywhere in the entire subway system. I asked about this and they said the penalty for littering was very harsh and could include $500 fine and possible canning. Spitting on the sidewalk was also a cane-able offense. Yikes! Needless to say, I chose to swallow.

Back to Europe.....Amanda Knox. How many times was she tried for the same crime? The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides: ....nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb...

2017-10-10 1:43 PM

Master
, California

And then it occurred to me, those disrespecting the flag have not idea what it is to be me. If they did, they would honor the flag as a symbol of all that is good about America. Protest all you want, I am usually amused and mostly ambivalent to protests because I view them as just whining and complaining. But burn the flag or sit during the National Anthem and I will never support your cause....even if it was something I agree with. 

I guess for me, what makes the difference is that they're making their voices heard without directly targeting soldiers.  People know what it's about, and the players are making their voice heard - agree or disagree.  But I think that's a far cry from, say, directly protesting soldiers as they stepped off the plane from Vietnam, calling them baby killers, etc.

If you have a problem with government policy in this country, use your voice.  Make the government hear you.  But you have to separate the government from the guys (and gals) who are serving.  I think this NFL protest strikes that balance, others disagree.  That's ok, we are allowed our opinions.

And I guess the last thing I'll say is my dad and I both served, and I received a flag when he passed.  So don't misunderstand my viewpoint of that honor.

2017-10-10 2:44 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

I guess for me, what makes the difference is that they're making their voices heard without directly targeting soldiers.  People know what it's about, and the players are making their voice heard - agree or disagree.  But I think that's a far cry from, say, directly protesting soldiers as they stepped off the plane from Vietnam, calling them baby killers, etc.

If you have a problem with government policy in this country, use your voice.  Make the government hear you.  But you have to separate the government from the guys (and gals) who are serving.  I think this NFL protest strikes that balance, others disagree.  That's ok, we are allowed our opinions.

And I guess the last thing I'll say is my dad and I both served, and I received a flag when he passed.  So don't misunderstand my viewpoint of that honor.

The bolded is what we've lost by letting the loud voices on both side have the biggest voice.  Until the other 80% of us, FROM BOTH SIDES OF FENCE, start letting the big mouth 20% know we're sick of the constant stupidity, finger pointing, and turmoil......we're stuck with it.....and it's likely a downhill slide from here.

2017-10-10 3:06 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Alabama

If you have a problem with government policy in this country, use your voice.  Make the government hear you. 

This hits cuts to the heart of my issue with "protests". If you want to change something, go to a city counsel meeting. Organize voter registration drives and get people who think like you do elected to local office, chief of police, school board, mayor, state rep and senator, etc.

You can hold your march and hold up signs and 'make people aware' but it is not me who can change things! WTH and I supposed to do because you feel oppressed and you make $18 million dollars?

If you protested and said, "Please vote for candidate Ima Fairman for Sherriff" Then, assuming I sympathized with their cause, I might vote for the man and he can effect the changes your seek.

Or maybe organize letter writing or phone call campaign to send letters or call your congressman and/or senator to get xyz legislation passed.

Use you march to raise money to set up shelters or help centers. If I sympathize with your cause (and you don't burn out town down or burn the flag) I will throw a twenty in your collection hat.

So when I see/hear: "Hey, hey, ho, ho black lives matter and police harass me" or read signs that say "Keep your hands off my vag....." or "Trump is a Nazi" I just smile. Quit wasting out time!
2017-10-10 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

The bolded is what we've lost by letting the loud voices on both side have the biggest voice.  Until the other 80% of us, FROM BOTH SIDES OF FENCE, start letting the big mouth 20% know we're sick of the constant stupidity, finger pointing, and turmoil......we're stuck with it.....and it's likely a downhill slide from here.

So all of a sudden a light goes on and 10 million views watching Monday night football put their collective palms to their forhead and said, "Of course. I see it now. The black man feels oppressed. He things there is systemic racism and the cards are stacked against him. He feels he is mistreated and doesn't have the same opportunity that the white man has. I get it."

So the next day the man goes to work to make some money. He volunteers for the overtime shift because the family wants to go to Disney World next summer. He is driving around on maypop tires but thinks he can get another 1000 miles out of them. His kids are only in middle school but even still he wonders how he will pay for college. The thought comes to him....$1.9 million dollars. He heard it on TV. $1.9 million dollars a year is the average salary of an NFL player. He thinks, "I would love to be that oppressed." He gets home late and reflects on his day. He did not oppress anyone nor was he oppressed. He did not discriminate against anyone nor was he given privilege because he is white. He drinks a beer. He watches the news and they are talking about the NFL.....he changes the channel to "Naked and Afraid". He falls asleep in his chair exhausted from the 12 hr shift. His wife comes out of the bedroom, turns off the TV and bids him come to bed. Another day, another dollar.

Most people have enough problem of their own to worry about and really don't have time to fight yours too.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » NFL Rss Feed  

of 3