General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master Swim Clubs - Strokes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-13 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Master Swim Clubs - Strokes
I'm thinking of joining the local Master Swim Club, but I'm concerned by the fact that I only know two strokes (free/back).

My question is do most Master swim clubs use fly and breast in their workout sets? And if so, what should I do, stay at the wall, and skip that section of the workout, or move to the Slower lane. I'm assuming that I'll be put in somewhere in the middle lane (1:50/100)

I'll talk to the coach on deck, but has anyone else experienced this problem?

2006-09-13 2:11 PM
in reply to: #539795

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Master Swim Clubs - Strokes

Masters clubs are seeing more and more triathletes and usually will be very accomodating and supportive.  I suggest chatting with the coach beforehand to let him know what your background is and what you're trying to accomplish.  I've usually been put in the  outside lanes, but that's okay with me - I'd just as soon stay out of everyone's way. 

I don't do much fly anymore because of my shoulders, but I do try to work on my breaststroke during every workout - it's my fallback stroke if I need to get my bearings or catch my breath during a race.  I figure I might as well be as fast as I can when I'm doing it - I'm no speed demon, but can cruise along in the 2:45/100 range, which doesn't lose me all that much time.

Mark

2006-09-13 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
The Masters workouts I attend I only do free, back and breast strokes. I don't do fly and substitute a diffrent stroke during medley intervals- there are more than a few triathletes in our Masters club so i'm not alone and I suspect you won't be either.....
2006-09-13 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
My club only does fly for about 25 yards every once in a while when the coach wants to torture us. Sometimes I do it when I have fins on, sometimes I just swim free. It's your workout, swim what you want. Practicing the kick is good for your abs, though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Master Swim Clubs - Strokes Rss Feed