Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 5

2018-01-17 5:23 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by soccermom15

Originally posted by BakerBryan Good Evening Everyone!!!! Well I signed up for my first tri and I am looking at two more for this year. When I signed up I had to pay a one day membership to USA triathlon (I believe thats what I was doing). Since I am going to run in a couple more should I go ahead and join the organization?

Congrats on signing up!  I usually renew my membership yearly if I'm planning to run at least some USAT certified races.  If you do at least 3, the membership pretty much pays for itself ($15 each for 3 individual races versus $50 for the yearly membership).  There are some extra benefits to having the yearly membership - some discounts and such - and I know they're making some changes this year.  Not all races are USAT certified though so not all will require the one day membership - depends on the race management.  Here they're split about 50/50, so it's really a personal preference. 

Janet

Hi Bryan:

I totally agree with Janet. If you're planning on doing a couple races, sign up for the annual membership. There are some nice discounts that you get as a USA Triathlon member. One VERY important consideration: If you enter a USA Triathlon sanctioned event they include race day medical coverage.

Not trying to be scary here, but when I hit the deck in the Boise 70.3 my medical bills totaled over $70,000. After my primary insurance deductibles I was looking at out of pocket medical bills pushing $10,000. Because this race was sanctioned the USA Triathlon their secondary medical insurance covered all of my out of pocket costs after paying the first $250.

I'm not sure if that coverage is only for annual members or if your one-day membership has the coverage as well. In any case, this is a big enough lesson for me that I avoid races that are not sanctioned by USA Triathlon.

As a member you also get included in their national rankings. It's pretty cool ranking system and it's fun to see how your results stack up with others in your area and age group.

Best,

Steve

2018-01-17 5:25 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Swim Coach
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman

Scott:

I was back at my alma mater (Wash St. U.) a few weeks ago. I was at an alumni event and the women's swim coach was the speaker. His name is Tom Jager.

The guy was a fabulous speaker. He made me want to go get in the pool.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yes, I know who Tom is.He was a very good sprinter and I heard he went on to a coaching career which is apparently the case.

So . . . did you actually get in a pool, or is that moment past? 

Nope. No pool time and the moment is gone. I would have loved to get some one-on-one coaching. The guy was really a tremendous speaker and he's doing great as the WSU coach.

Steve
2018-01-17 5:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Indianapolis, Indiana

Originally posted by BakerBryan Alright, so today I got my new wetsuit in the mail and I was super excited. So I raced upstairs to try it on. A couple of things I noticed. One, I was wore out after putting it on and taking it off I felt like I should log it in as my workout for today. lol Secondly I look like one of those giant fat seals that you see on the rocks lol The good thing is that it fits and will probably fit even better after I lose a few more pounds. As my first tri approaches I know I will have some questions dealing with the wetsuit alone.

Hey Bryan,

A couple little tips that may help you to get your wetsuit on and off more easily. 

Putting the wetsuit on -

Take a plastic grocery bag, which will reduce friction, put it over your foot before you slide the wetsuit on.  When your foot comes out the bottom of the leg, take the bag, put it on the other foot, and repeat.  Do the same with the arms if you wetsuit is sleeved.

Some people also swear by PAM cooking spray but I have found the bag trick works really well and I don't have to worry about chemicals on my wetsuit.

Taking the wetsuit off -

To take it off, unzip and pull it down to your waist, grab the wetsuit at your waist and pull it all the way down to your ankles. Step one foot on the crotch and then pull the opposite foot out of the suit. Repeat for the other leg.

Hope that helps!

Edited by k9car363 2018-01-17 5:30 PM
2018-01-17 5:50 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: RE: Swim Coach

Originally posted by lutzman Nope. No pool time and the moment is gone. I would have loved to get some one-on-one coaching. The guy was really a tremendous speaker and he's doing great as the WSU coach. Steve

Never too late to get the moment back!

(swim workout.gif)

Attachments
----------------
swim workout.gif (2482KB - 0 downloads)
2018-01-17 6:34 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Scott, George - others ... thanks and I'm glad to be back.  I'd like to see some light shined on weight loss and how ones are doing with it.

For me, I leave Saturday for 2 weeks (going skiing) and so my focus will be on eating well; trying to maintain and/or lose slightly 'til getting back home.  While I have access to the treadmill, I just don't know if I'll have the legs after a full days worth of skiing .

Ciao ... Dorm

2018-01-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by BakerBryan Alright, so today I got my new wetsuit in the mail and I was super excited. So I raced upstairs to try it on. A couple of things I noticed. One, I was wore out after putting it on and taking it off I felt like I should log it in as my workout for today. lol Secondly I look like one of those giant fat seals that you see on the rocks lol

Hey Bryan,

A couple little tips that may help you to get your wetsuit on and off more easily. 

Putting the wetsuit on -

Take a plastic grocery bag, which will reduce friction, put it over your foot before you slide the wetsuit on.  When your foot comes out the bottom of the leg, take the bag, put it on the other foot, and repeat.  Do the same with the arms if you wetsuit is sleeved.

Some people also swear by PAM cooking spray but I have found the bag trick works really well and I don't have to worry about chemicals on my wetsuit.

Taking the wetsuit off -

To take it off, unzip and pull it down to your waist, grab the wetsuit at your waist and pull it all the way down to your ankles. Step one foot on the crotch and then pull the opposite foot out of the suit. Repeat for the other leg.

Hope that helps!

Scott is right. Just carry plastic grocery bags in your wetsuit bag. You'll side in and out with ease. Skip getting oily with Pam spray.

On the removal it takes a little practice to get the hang of stepping on your suit with one leg and pulling the other leg straight up and out. Sometimes it takes several pulls to get out. With practice, you'll nail it.

You can find plenty of videos on wet suit removal on YouTube to see how others get it done.

Steve

2018-01-18 3:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: A Doping Gray Guy gets caught...again
Here's an interesting story. It concerns a gray guy by the name of Kevin Moats. At one time Moats was both the #1 ranked triathlete for his AG as well as the winner in his age group at Kona IM. He tested positive for steroids....for the 2nd time. He tested positive about 5 years ago and was given a one year ban. This time: 8 year ban. You can read the story below...check out the comments as well.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Kevin_Moats_positive_again_8yr_ban_a...

It's interesting because for all intents it appears this guy was an unapologetic cheater. He was not only a steroid user but (according to multiple reports) quite adept at drafting and even resorted to using a mirror on his helmet to spot course marshal's coming up from behind on a motorcycle. I raced against him once in Hawaii in an Olympic distance race. He was so fast I never saw him. I was 8th that day. Guess I should have been 7th.

If you want some real raw feeling on the subject of doping, check out this link from Slowtwitch specifically regarding the Moats ban. Nothing gets the blood hot in the triathlon community like a cheater...especially a repeat offender. It's pretty obvious a lot of people raced against this guy over the years, knew of his "accomplishments" in the sport and feel personally cheated.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...

Best,

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-01-18 3:36 PM
New Thread
Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 5

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 262 Posts: 23

2018-01-19 2:37 PM SrhJarvis

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 30 Posts: 2

2018-01-11 5:23 AM Suurealz

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!)