Other Resources The Political Joe » DACA and the Wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-08 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: DACA and the Wall
Looks like the debate on illegal immigration is going to come down to some sort of compromise between reinstating DACA and build a border wall.

I just had a great idea, we make the DACA people build the wall!!

Just kidding. I do think there will be compromise despite some on the left and some on the right taking hardcore stances of my-way-or-the-highway.

I for one and thankful I was not and will not be punished for the sins of my parents! On the other hand, if we don't have border security then we have no immigration policy and immigration laws/policy mean nothing.

The one thing I am fearful of that I have heard mentioned in the news on serval occasions is "democrats will be reluctant to give republicans a win" on immigration. IOWs, (some) democrats are more interested in getting back in power then they are interested in DACA.

If the GOP puts up legislation that makes DACA permanent in exchange for funding the wall, it will be hard for dems to vote against that.....without losing the Hispanic vote which they cannot afford to lose.

2018-01-09 9:34 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: DACA and the Wall
Originally posted by Rogillio

Looks like the debate on illegal immigration is going to come down to some sort of compromise between reinstating DACA and build a border wall.

I just had a great idea, we make the DACA people build the wall!!

Make them close the barn door, literally. Brilliant.
2018-01-09 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

It's definitely a tough deal.  I'm pretty hard line when it comes to illegal immigration, but I'm equally sympathetic to a kid whose been here their whole life and America is the only home they've ever known.
I blame politicians on both sides for allowing this to happen so I don't really even think of it as an R or D thing.  We need to address it with some form of legalization of the kids and continue to toughen our stance on the border for new people trying to come here illegally.

2018-01-09 2:14 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Floriduh
The wall is the dumbest thing I can think of. Seriously. Dumb.

"Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man." George S. Patton (I bet he was a Republican)
2018-01-09 2:22 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy The wall is the dumbest thing I can think of. Seriously. Dumb. "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man." George S. Patton (I bet he was a Republican)

A big and beautiful wall.  ;-)

I honestly think there are very functional ways to do it in many places without a wall, but a wall would be the most effective in others.  I don't think we necessarily need to build a wall across the entire border, but virtually, physically, or otherwise we absolutely need to put "barriers" in place to prevent the flow of illegal crossings.

2018-01-09 2:29 PM

User image

Pro

A wall is completely unnecessary and too costly.  A guard tower every 500 meters will be sufficient.  I'm sure you could find plenty of volunteers, to shoot people crossing the border, to man the towers.  Add the cost of a sign post every 50 yards warning that you are about to be shot, and move on to the next problem.

Legal immigration is the answer.  Shooting illegals crossing into our country is the solution.  (we won't have to shoot many before they stop trying to cross)

2018-01-09 2:32 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

A wall is completely unnecessary and too costly.  A guard tower every 500 meters will be sufficient.  I'm sure you could find plenty of volunteers, to shoot people crossing the border, to man the towers.  Add the cost of a sign post every 50 yards warning that you are about to be shot, and move on to the next problem.

Legal immigration is the answer.  Shooting illegals crossing into our country is the solution.  (we won't have to shoot many before they stop trying to cross)

But think about the children...

2018-01-09 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

The wall is the dumbest thing I can think of. Seriously. Dumb.

"Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man." George S. Patton (I bet he was a Republican)

Really? I can think of much dumber things!

Funny how after 9/11 the whole country supported making our borders more secure. Congress authorized over a billion dollars to be spent on the "Secure Border Initiative". The idea was to use technology (as well as brick and mortar as appropriate) to secure our southern border. Obama canceled the program.....
2018-01-09 2:49 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio
Originally posted by Oysterboy The wall is the dumbest thing I can think of. Seriously. Dumb. "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man." George S. Patton (I bet he was a Republican)
Really? I can think of much dumber things! Funny how after 9/11 the whole country supported making our borders more secure. Congress authorized over a billion dollars to be spent on the "Secure Border Initiative". The idea was to use technology (as well as brick and mortar as appropriate) to secure our southern border. Obama canceled the program.....

He had to cancel it.  They're critical to the Dems' future electoral success

2018-01-09 3:04 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

But think about the children...

Fine, we can just wing them.

2018-01-09 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

This is just friggin' brilliant Lefty. I have no doubt that you would get plenty of fine 'Merican citizens to man those towers, and they'll probably bring their own ammo if you ask nicely. For those towers out in the middle of the scorching desert, supply them with a 50 cal on full rock-n-roll and a kegerator full of Ol' Miilwaukee. Damn, I bet you could get people to pay for that as a dream vacation. /eyeroll

The idea of having a secure border is important and there are many ways to do it and in some places fencing is the best way to achieve this end. Drones, electronic surveillance, the proper use of E-Verify to cut-off the employment of undocumented workers are all powerful tools. However, the idea of a wall stretching from coast-to-coast is really dumb. Epically dumb, especially since nearly half of illegal immigrants to the US come to the country on airplanes. http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jul/29/marco-rubi...

2018-01-09 3:34 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

This is just friggin' brilliant Lefty. I have no doubt that you would get plenty of fine 'Merican citizens to man those towers, and they'll probably bring their own ammo if you ask nicely. For those towers out in the middle of the scorching desert, supply them with a 50 cal on full rock-n-roll and a kegerator full of Ol' Miilwaukee. Damn, I bet you could get people to pay for that as a dream vacation. /eyeroll The idea of having a secure border is important and there are many ways to do it and in some places fencing is the best way to achieve this end. Drones, electronic surveillance, the proper use of E-Verify to cut-off the employment of undocumented workers are all powerful tools. However, the idea of a wall stretching from coast-to-coast is really dumb. Epically dumb, especially since nearly half of illegal immigrants to the US come to the country on airplanes. http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jul/29/marco-rubi...

I'm with you there.  I honestly think Trump is looking for a political way out of building the wall coast to coast.  It sounded great on the stump, but in reality you are correct it's kind of dumb and unnecessary.  Perhaps he'll spin it as a "compromise" to work with the other side and only build a wall in strategic places. :-D

2018-01-09 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tuwood

This is just friggin' brilliant Lefty. I have no doubt that you would get plenty of fine 'Merican citizens to man those towers, and they'll probably bring their own ammo if you ask nicely. For those towers out in the middle of the scorching desert, supply them with a 50 cal on full rock-n-roll and a kegerator full of Ol' Miilwaukee. Damn, I bet you could get people to pay for that as a dream vacation. /eyeroll The idea of having a secure border is important and there are many ways to do it and in some places fencing is the best way to achieve this end. Drones, electronic surveillance, the proper use of E-Verify to cut-off the employment of undocumented workers are all powerful tools. However, the idea of a wall stretching from coast-to-coast is really dumb. Epically dumb, especially since nearly half of illegal immigrants to the US come to the country on airplanes. http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jul/29/marco-rubi...

I'm with you there.  I honestly think Trump is looking for a political way out of building the wall coast to coast.  It sounded great on the stump, but in reality you are correct it's kind of dumb and unnecessary.  Perhaps he'll spin it as a "compromise" to work with the other side and only build a wall in strategic places. :-D

Yeah, but he's Trump the promise-keeper, right? A lot of hard-workin' 'Mericans voted for Trump based on him building that wall...
2018-01-09 3:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Tell you what......change the Old Milwaukee to Coors, throw in a brisket and 2 sides, and I bet I could actually make money on those towers selling them as weekend getaways.

If we make enough money we can expand our Border Tower Vacations franchise to an exotic location in Asia.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-01-09 3:52 PM
2018-01-09 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Completely unnecessary and a waste of manpower. All we need to do is declare a DMZ and deploy 100,000 or so land mines and trip wires and then put up signs that say, "Danger Amigos". It will be ugly at first but when word gets out, the crossings will stop.
2018-01-10 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I like Tucker Carlson and Ann Coulter and agree with them on 95% of the issues....but they are both dead wrong on DACA. I don't know if they are both not good in math or what? The Senate does not have the votes to take a my-way-or-the-highway approach to immigration reform. Taking a hard stance is why we have a do-nothing gridlocked Congress the last decade! People think Trump was elected to though out 11 million illegals....but more importantly he was elected as a successful businessman capable of closing the deal. And that mean compromise! I'd bet dimes to donuts that if the GOP doesn't do something with DACA they will not get money for the wall/border security. I honestly don't know wth Ann and Tucker think the GOP can do without at least some democrats.

2018-01-10 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Tell you what......change the Old Milwaukee to Coors, throw in a brisket and 2 sides, and I bet I could actually make money on those towers selling them as weekend getaways.

If we make enough money we can expand our Border Tower Vacations franchise to an exotic location in Asia.

Lefty, I think we may be on to something big here, but I think an AYCE buffet might fit best with our target audience, agreed?
2018-01-14 10:18 AM

User image

Regular
In order of importance is securing the border first and then dealing with DACA. If you solve the DACA issue while continuing to let people come here illegally, you've solved nothing. Build a wall, shoot people, or whatever, securing the border first and foremost has to be the start. Of course, neither party will agree on any of that.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » DACA and the Wall Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

DACA

Started by Rogillio
Views: 521 Posts: 4

2017-09-07 9:01 AM Left Brain

Solar Wall Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1569 Posts: 35

2017-06-30 7:46 AM mdg2003

The Wall