Other Resources The Political Joe » Hate Speech Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-11 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Hate Speech
I keep seeing articles about policing hate speech and how FB used algorithms to filter hate speech.

I think this is slippery slope. Who gets to decide what is hate speech. Some on the left claim calling abortion murder is hate speech.

Obviously the constitutional free speech applies to the government shall not limit our speech. But when companies like Twitter and FB become so big and powerful should the gubment step in to save the sheeple?

I can see issues on both sides....it's kind of like when religious freedom conflicts with someone's right to not be discriminated against. You may be a private company but the gubment had to regulate you to keep you on the straight and narrow.

2018-04-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Subject: RE: Hate Speech
Very slippery slope, I agree.
Local paper printed a letter to the editor recently from a guy who said that people who want to change gender suffer from mental illness. He also made the point, that according to his research, once a person changes their gender, they are still very likely to suffer from depression and will need counseling throughout their lives. He wasn't spewing hate or calling names. He was simply stating that he felt-his opinion- that changing your gender did not mean you solved the problems you had to start with.

No less than 6 people immediately wrote in asking if the paper would agree not to publish any future letters from this person due to his "hate filled vitriole." I have seen similar responses when someone writes in regarding illegal immigration, and of course, abortion. If you call abortion anything other than a "healthcare decision," they will be all over you.

Funny, that word tolerance. We need to be very very intolerant of people who don't tolerate and approve of the "correct" things.

Totally off the wall, but if I could vote, FB would just go away. It's made our culture into a fake, distant community. People don't really interact anymore like they used to. People say they have like 500 "friends"-a sad joke at best.
2018-04-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I'll just repeat what I said about FB years ago........"facebook, huh?  Sounds like some bullchit to me". 

It still does.

On another note......I love how the left likes to yell "FACIST"!!!!!  But it's the left that constantly wants to put constraints on speech.  Hmmmmm.....maybe they can regulate everything people say when they get their own country. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-12 10:11 AM
2018-04-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Champion
Alabama
That's just it, 'hate' is condition of the heart and who gets to decide what is in your heart?

I've always thought 'hate crimes' laws were not necessary. If you shoot a man because he is black why it that a more serious offense than if you shoot him to take his money?

Evidently any speech someone finds offensive is hate speech.

On a related note. I read an article where a man was slammed for using the term, "colored people". He said he meant to say "people of color".....a distinction without a difference IMO.

Funny story time. Back in the early 1960 my cousin was at our fish camp in Louisiana. She was about 3 or 4 years old. She had heard the adults at talking and heard the term "colored man" which was acceptable at the time. Well I guess she thought that sounded really cool and said, "Mama, I wanna marry a colored man!" My aunt was embarrassed (interracial marriage was taboo in the 60s) and told her to hush her mouth. I don't know what color she had in mind but she said over and over, "Mama, I want to marry a colored man. Why can't I marry a colored man?"

For the record she ended up marrying a plain old white man.
2018-04-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Left Brain

I'll just repeat what I said about FB years ago........"facebook, huh?  Sounds like some bullchit to me". 

It still does.

On another note......I love how the left likes to yell "FACIST"!!!!!  But it's the left that constantly wants to put constraints on speech.  Hmmmmm.....maybe they can regulate everything people say when they get their own country. LOL

I've been saying this for years, the left wants freedom of speech protected only if it suits what they are standing up for. Free speech is free speech, you cannot claim that everyone has the right to free Speech as long as I agree it is acceptable.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Hate Speech Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trump hating media jumps the shark!

Started by Rogillio
Views: 488 Posts: 3

2018-01-20 2:07 PM Rogillio

Counter free speech rally in Boston

Started by Rogillio
Views: 588 Posts: 12

2017-08-21 8:06 AM mdg2003

Free Speech in America