Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2024-05-02 12:07 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Well it's been a week so far.  Started off great with a planned day off, then a good Tuesday morning workout and a good day at work (for once lately...).  Then I go to bed Tuesday night and start having uncontrolled heart flutter - it's something that happens once in a while for a few beats when I lie down, but it wouldn't stop for over an hour and I started getting kinda flush and tingly, plus a felt a burning sensation in my chest.  Urgent care had closed so went to the ER and then put me in right away, did an EKG, vitals (BP was 180/90 ), lab work, and a chest x-ray, and then in typical American health care fashion sent me back out to the waiting room with the dregs of society (remember it's like now midnight so we start getting homeless people wondering in - lucky I didn't see any gunshot would victims...).  Apparently I wasn't in any acute distress as no one saw me again for two hours so I basically demanded to be discharged as I was totally exhausted and wanted to go to sleep and didn't feel the crappy chair or floor of the waiting room were optimal.  Never spoke directly to a doctor, but the tech who discharged me spoke briefly about me to one and their advice was go see my primary care physician. 

I have an appointment with a cardiologist early next week.  I feel a little better after a couple of days but my chest feels, I dunno, inflamed??  I didn't work out Wednesday or today and might do some light stuff over the next few days to maintain my PT but no 5K race Saturday as redlining is probably a bad idea.  This was a recovery week anyway so I'm not panicking.  Yet. 

I'm staying away from Dr. Internet for the time being.

Anyway...

@Nicole:  bummer on the torn labrum - at least you know now and will have a plan shortly - I'd agree with the unsolicited medical advice given above...you're young enough where surgery is a "cure" and you'll recover quickly.  As someone who has lost probably half of the fifteen or so seasons since I've been serious about endurance sports to injury, missing a year ain't gonna kill ya. 

@Nathalie:  way to finish the race, even though you were getting smoked by 2023 Nat - mental toughness matters and it's easy to bail when you're not doing well; you'll get those dopplegangers

@Gretchen:  more training stories - at least no one THREW tools at you while biking; I hope someone claims them as that'll be a good story

Have a good weekend, everyone.  We're having like 50 people over to the house (no issues physically with wondering around the house so I'll definitely get some exercise for that LOL) on Sunday. 

2024-05-02 12:29 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Well it's been a week so far.  Started off great with a planned day off, then a good Tuesday morning workout and a good day at work (for once lately...).  Then I go to bed Tuesday night and start having uncontrolled heart flutter - it's something that happens once in a while for a few beats when I lie down, but it wouldn't stop for over an hour and I started getting kinda flush and tingly, plus a felt a burning sensation in my chest.  Urgent care had closed so went to the ER and then put me in right away, did an EKG, vitals (BP was 180/90 ), lab work, and a chest x-ray, and then in typical American health care fashion sent me back out to the waiting room with the dregs of society (remember it's like now midnight so we start getting homeless people wondering in - lucky I didn't see any gunshot would victims...).  Apparently I wasn't in any acute distress as no one saw me again for two hours so I basically demanded to be discharged as I was totally exhausted and wanted to go to sleep and didn't feel the crappy chair or floor of the waiting room were optimal.  Never spoke directly to a doctor, but the tech who discharged me spoke briefly about me to one and their advice was go see my primary care physician. 

I have an appointment with a cardiologist early next week.  I feel a little better after a couple of days but my chest feels, I dunno, inflamed??  I didn't work out Wednesday or today and might do some light stuff over the next few days to maintain my PT but no 5K race Saturday as redlining is probably a bad idea.  This was a recovery week anyway so I'm not panicking.  Yet. 

Anyway...

@Nicole:  bummer on the torn labrum - at least you know now and will have a plan shortly - I'd agree with the unsolicited medical advice given above...you're young enough where surgery is a "cure" and you'll recover quickly.  As someone who has lost probably half of the fifteen or so seasons since I've been serious about endurance sports to injury, missing a year ain't gonna kill ya. 

@Nathalie:  way to finish the race, even though you were getting smoked by 2023 Nat - mental toughness matters and it's easy to bail when you're not doing well; you'll get those dopplegangers

@Gretchen:  more training stories - at least no one THREW tools at you while biking; I hope someone claims them as that'll be a good story

Have a good weekend, everyone.  We're having like 50 people over to the house (no issues physically with wondering around the house so I'll definitely get some exercise for that LOL) on Sunday. 

Yikes, Mike! The heart stuff is super scary!! Hope you get good news soon.

You're right...no one threw the tools at me!! Which, if we are all honest, is EXACTLY the type of thing that would happen to me. I guess I should count myself lucky! So far, though, no one has called about the tools.
2024-05-02 12:33 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
In the middle of a moderate training day here. Last night I did an hour of Z1 riding while being bored out of my skull on a TeamUSA townhall from USATriathlon. These things are ridiculous--mostly just a bunch of sales pitches and then a few minutes of information we might need...then...then come the dumb questions. I mean seriously, these people will literally ask a question that was answered less than a minute ago. Either they aren't paying attention, or they are dumb as a box of hammers.

This morning was 1950yds in the pool. Couple hours later...strength training. Couple hours from now...90' foundation (Z1/Z2) ride. Toying with the idea of doing that outside, but it is windy and I'd have to take my bike off the trainer and put the wheel back on and probably air up the tires...and...man...that just sounds like a lot of work.
2024-05-02 1:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
@ Andrew - Yes, the hurry up and wait portion of this is driving me NUTS. I just want to know so I can plan!

@Mike - SO SCARY! Do you already have a cardiologist? I'm in DOM and tight with the Cardiology administrator, so can see if I can get you in sooner if you want...I know it's Thursday so next week isn't very far, but in case it would give you peace of mind I'm happy to try.
2024-05-02 1:14 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Anyway...

Yikes, Mike! The heart stuff is super scary!! Hope you get good news soon.

You're right...no one threw the tools at me!! Which, if we are all honest, is EXACTLY the type of thing that would happen to me. I guess I should count myself lucky! So far, though, no one has called about the tools.

That is totally what would happen to you! Which makes no sense, b/c you do such amazingly generous things like pick up tools and try to find their rightful owner!
2024-05-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
My chiropractor is my stinking hero. I had him focus on my lower back yesterday and he did not disappoint! Between scraping, some dynamic cupping (not sure what else this might be called, but basically they're tiny cups and he suctions them to me and then moves them all around to draw blood to the area), and some cracking, my back was feeling stellar yesterday!

Then I went and carried a window AC, so it tightened up a little, but nothing intense and already feels better. My craziness at work should be coming to an end so I'm super looking forward to getting my balance in life back!

2024-05-02 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e @ Andrew - Yes, the hurry up and wait portion of this is driving me NUTS. I just want to know so I can plan! @Mike - SO SCARY! Do you already have a cardiologist? I'm in DOM and tight with the Cardiology administrator, so can see if I can get you in sooner if you want...I know it's Thursday so next week isn't very far, but in case it would give you peace of mind I'm happy to try.

Thanks for the offer - I'm on Tuesday at Medstar near me (my network didn't have availability until almost the end of June LOL) so wouldn't make much difference.

2024-05-02 1:42 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e @ Andrew - Yes, the hurry up and wait portion of this is driving me NUTS. I just want to know so I can plan! @Mike - SO SCARY! Do you already have a cardiologist? I'm in DOM and tight with the Cardiology administrator, so can see if I can get you in sooner if you want...I know it's Thursday so next week isn't very far, but in case it would give you peace of mind I'm happy to try.

Thanks for the offer - I'm on Tuesday at Medstar near me (my network didn't have availability until almost the end of June LOL) so wouldn't make much difference.

Ok, no problem! If ever there is something like this and you want to try Hopkins, let me know and I can see what I can do Especially if it's an infection of some kind! Those are my people and they're amazing!
2024-05-02 2:58 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Oh Mike, hope it’s nothing serious. Yes, I would advise against redlining right now.
2024-05-02 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Well it's been a week so far. 

• Damn, that's scary.

Good on you for being responsible and actually going to the ER, rather than doing the typical male thing we like to do and ignoring your body and hoping for the best. Excellent decision. Whilst it's an unpleasant experience, getting sent back to the waiting room, and being relatively ignored is kind of a good sign, like you said that has to mean the scans/tests you did go through didn't show any immediate danger. It's when you get rushed through to a room, with an army of Drs and nurses following you you need to worry.

I'd go further than no redlining, I'd probably put all your workouts on hold till you get a sign off from your cardiologist, other than back stretching PT stuff. You said Tuesday, that's only 5 days. You won't lose any fitness in 5 days.

FWIW, I'm not sure if you remember but a few years ago I experienced tightness in my chest when running, ended up getting the full cardiologist workup, stress test, CT scans etc. In the end I was given the all clear, but I know how worrying/stressful having concerns with that part of your body is.

There are stories on the interwebs from people who go off and qualify for Kona after having full blown heart attacks, with a 99% blocked widowmaker... so whatever comes from this, you'll be back in the tri/active lifestyle soon enough. Don't stress a week off till you know what you're dealing with.
    New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 102

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 885 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland