Missoula, Montana
United States
60F / 16C
Total Time = 3h 07m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:15am to leave by 3am in order to drive 82 miles (all Interstate) to the race. 6am start with busses running 4:45-5:15am. Pleasantly surprised that I slept ok the night before even if only for 5 1/2 hours. Packed cinnamon raisin toast with honey pecan cream cheese, a yogurt, granola bar and grapes to eat pre-race. Met up with two gals from work. One had some specific time goals for her first, but I ended up running with the other that I had ran this race with last year.
Run
  • 3h 07m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I was caught a little off-guard by tears right before the start. We had been chatting pretty continuously before the start, but the silence of the national anthem let my mind wander for a bit to think about how Casey would usually get me an encouraging card before races. We had some really great trips to races although we only actually ran together for his first ever half marathon. Confronting the reality that we will never go to a race together again and I'll never even get another card again was hard.
Last year when I ran with Katie I had my Garmin set for 20 second walks every 1/4 mile. I just had my Apple watch today and didn't bother setting intervals, just decided to go by feel. We didn't walk until over 2 miles in and only walked a handful of times. I let her call all the walk breaks. Surprising thing is that this year with better weather was 3 minutes slower than last when we walked so much. Crazy how that works. This year did feel a lot stronger. Almost don't want to mention as it sounds like weird bragging, but I quite literally didn't break a sweat. My heartrate hung out in the 130-165 range for the entire race though so there was some cardio going on there. This three hours FLEW by. My legs were feeling pretty stiff towards the end and my feet were a tad uncomfortable, but otherwise felt good. Not that I recommend running half marathons with almost no training, but this experience feels encouraging to me to be able to run and feel so good.
What would you do differently?:

Probably not accurate to blame Casey's passing in March for my almost utter lack of training, but that whole situation certainly didn't help. I literally did one 7 miler the weekend before he died, one 5 miler in May and two 3 milers this month. It was interesting that the women's overall winner in the full marathon was 46 years old. Maybe my fastest days are ahead for me rather than behind?
Post race
Warm down:

I was hobbling pretty good so did an epsom salt bath when I got home that actually seemed to help a lot.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2023-06-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:07:28 | 13.1 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat asphalt with some cement through the outskirts and neighborhoods of Missoula, Montana.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2023-06-25 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Missoula Half Marathon

2023-06-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #5285938

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Missoula Half Marathon
Like a lot of people here on BT, I've always felt running, biking, etc. was the best tool for getting through a bad patch. Tip of the hat for showing up at that race.

Congrats on your day and on to the next one..!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Missoula Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tour de Mezokovesd half marathon

Started by goran007
Views: 455 Posts: 1

2022-12-05 6:55 AM goran007

Mankato Half Marathon

Started by mjewen
Views: 426 Posts: 1

2022-11-27 1:03 PM mjewen