General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Returning to racing after a hiatus Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2024-01-09 11:06 AM

Subject: Returning to racing after a hiatus
Hello everyone. Are used to compete triathlon starting in 2009 until 2018. I stopped everything. I’ve also put on 40 pounds and I’m just starting to walk again. My right knee is slightly swollen and hurts. I feel like I’ll never be able to get back to even do a 5K, which I have planned for March 3.

I started walking last week and walked for two days. I did a half mile the first day and .6 miles a second day, took two days off walked one more day at .7 miles, took two days off and yesterday walked 1 mile. My knee is killing me today any suggestions?

I thought I was starting pretty slow. If it doesn’t resolve in a few days, I’ll have to go to PT, but I’m trying to avoid that right now.

2024-01-09 11:07 PM
in reply to: Kellysgirl

User image

Subject: RE: Returning to racing after a hiatus
Relax
2024-01-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: Kellysgirl

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome back! 

I'm not a coach, so apply suitable judgement and second opinions from more qualified sources. 

First of all (and this is a message I should embrace myself), FORGET what you "used to do." 

When you say "hurts" is that like swollen?  Within the knee joint (like bone-on-bone)?  Inflamed tendons?  It's possible you've got something like water on the knee that the walking is aggravating. 

Walking *shouldn't* be hard on your knee.  How fresh are your shoes?  Is the walking stressing an old knee injury? 
I'd say have someone look at your gait to see if there is anything about *how* you are walking that is stressing your knee. 

How about biking?  While biking isn't overly helpful for running a 5K, exercise is exercise and it can be good to simply do something for 15-30 minutes so that you've already carved out that time when you can walk more or even start running.  You might also do some exercises to increase knee flexibility and strengthen surrounding muscles. 

2024-01-11 6:46 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

great post

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Returning to racing after a hiatus Rss Feed