General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spirit of racine half vs steelhead 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-27 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: spirit of racine half vs steelhead 70.3

Hey BTer's,

I'm in OH. Considering my first half next year. I've read most of the race reports for these two races, but I'm wondering a couple of things because the price, driving distance and possibly the swim? are similar:

If you were comparing the two, do you have a favorite? And why?

How do the courses compare (hills, mostly rolling, flat, etc.)?

What about spectators/volunteers and organization-before, during, after...was one better than the other?

I've done several HFP races, so I know they do a good job on the shorter distances, but they were smaller events.  I'm also considering the Great Buckeye half or the Pineman Half (also HFP events)...

Thanks very much!

2006-09-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: #553369

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: spirit of racine half vs steelhead 70.3

I have not done Spirit of Racine but heard great things about it.  It was televised and on the broadcast they kept commenting on how the flat course should be very fast. (they were discussing the pros, but I'd still take that).  Lake Michigan probably isn't the easiest beast to tame though.

2006-09-27 2:00 PM

Regular
I was looking at the steelhead website and it looks like they have two separate swim courses. It's a one way swim, one that goes south and one that goes north, depending on the current.

Don't know about the run or bike but I would be interested in hearing opinions too.

Thanks!
2006-09-27 2:03 PM
in reply to: #553441

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
morey1 - 2006-09-27 1:49 PM

I have not done Spirit of Racine but heard great things about it.  It was televised and on the broadcast they kept commenting on how the flat course should be very fast. (they were discussing the pros, but I'd still take that).  Lake Michigan probably isn't the easiest beast to tame though.

Huh, right in your neck of the woods too.  Say, arent you looking to do a HIM next year?

2006-09-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: #553471

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Huh, right in your neck of the woods too.  Say, arent you looking to do a HIM next year?

I take back what I said about you in the mentoring thread.

2006-09-27 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
These were my two choices this year, and I did Steelhead.

Personal reasons: We lived in South Bend for 6 years, so we got into SW Michigan and were familiar with the area. We planned a stop at Redamak's (on Red Arrow Highway) on the way up, and Notre Dame (and our old neighborhood) on the way back.

Other reasons and observations: SW Michigan is more of a "destination" than Racine. Lots of orchards and vinyards (wine tours) in that area. Picked up some fresh blueberries (the race is at the beginning of blueberry season). Traffic around Chicago. Why add three stressful hours to the each part of the trip? Steelhead was $160 versus $13X at the time I was registering.

I've only done one HIM, and I thought they had things pretty well planned (I didn't have the parking issues). I would have liked to see more fruit at the post-race buffet. The Steelhead swim is decided the day before the race and based on tide flow (so you're swimming with the current). I enjoyed the bike course. It is mostly North-South, with fairly short West legs (winds normally from the West). It wasn't windy that day. It seemed like there were plenty of volunteers, and a lot of locals who came out to support this event. Nothing particularly noteworthy on the run (other than maybe being 12 miles too long ). They grew from 700 to 1800 participants this year, which completely swamped their transportation (shuttles & parking) system. My wife and I have talked about returning next year to volunteer.

I've driven through Racine a few times. Probably has a larger contingent of BT'ers (or at least more visible contingent).

2006-09-27 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I didn't consider Racine, but I did Steelhead this year. 

Plusses:  Swim with the current, cool 'jump off the pier' start, flat bike (only a couple notable hills) with smooth pavement (by Michigan standards), volunteers were OUTSTANDING, race organization was fantastic (I didn't have problems with the shuttle), most excellent volunteers (bears repeating), perfect on-course bottle exchanges and nutrition, etc.  Also, the proximity of nice lake Michigan beaches and B&B's really can help make it a family-getaway, if that kinda thing interests you.

Minuses:  It's a lake Michigan swim, so it CAN be choppy, not much of an expo, post-race buffet could stand a little more stuff, not much shade to sit in after the race (it's on the beach with a pavillion, but that's IT), longish walk to your car with the bike after the race.  St. Joe's/Benton Harbor isn't much of a town, and has limited lodging, nightlife, and eating options.

As far as the expo, buffet, and shade, I expect they'll have that sorted out by next year.  As McFuzz pointed out, this race had 1100 more people in 2006 than in 2005, and I'd be that these were some of the 'growing pains', easy enough to remedy...the only thing I don't know how they'll improve is the shuttle system...the geography of the venue and the one-way swim almost dictate this kind of system(I didn't have an issue with it, but some people did), sooooo....

I'll be back.  It was good.

2006-09-27 4:20 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

It's funny you should start this thread.  If you check the "Who's doing a HIM in 2007" thread these two are among the most frequently mentioned.  Possibly the two most mentioned.  Seems like there will be large BT contingents at both of them.  From the title of your thread I thought you were proposing some type of cross-race challenge......

2006-09-27 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
BTW, the shuttle problem to the start of the swim was a non-issue for me. I just walked the 1.2 miles with my wife. It was probably faster than the ride (20-25 minutes). I watched the early waves go off.
2006-09-27 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Not sure if I am really qualified to comment since I have not participated in either but I did watch the Racine race last in July. I was very impressed. Seemed to be very well organized. Swim is in Lake Michigan as well so I know the short swim out to the first turn into the waves was a bit difficult but then the vast majority of the swim is running parallel to shore. Pretty long run up the beach to T1. Transition area looked good. A nice quick hill right as the bike starts but then the course seemed very, very flat to me. I drove about 70-80% of the bike course so if you like flat then you will like this course. Roads seemed to be poor to fair at first (maybe first 20% of bike) but then seemed in excellent condition after that. I believe a number of them may have been worked on very recently.

Run is also very flat along like lakeshore to the north. I think it actually goes through the Zoo there which is different. Volunteers around T1/T2, start and finish all seemed to be great but I don't know what the support is like on the course. Parking sounds like an issue in Michigan in having to deal with the shuttle. Racine seems to have a lot of parking as you are close to a lot of city streets to park on and lots themselves.

If you have kids Racine has a very nice playset area which can help the fam stay occupied. I don't know if the Zoo is actually open to the public during the race. I am planning to do my first HIM in 07 and it will in all probability be the Racine race due to the great impression it made on me. It would be great to have you there!
2006-09-27 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I've done Racine twice now, and everything that's been said so far is pretty much correct...there has been a lot of road construction this year, I don't know what impact that will have on the bike.  It depends...they changed the course this paast year, no way to know if it'll change again. 

We had a fair number of BTers here last year...the year before too.  Our house is always open for showers before the drive home (we live less than 4 miles from race start).  We always have a lot of fun with this one, MarkK and I are signing up this payday. 

The park at North Beach is VERY nice, huge with allt he "cool" stuff (as opposed to just swings).  I can't swear to it but I'm 99% sure the zoo is open during the race.  Also, last year Salmon-A-Rama was going on just down Main St. at Festival Park.  Even if you aren't into fishing (I'm not!) there's lots of non-fishing-related games and stuff for the kids, tons of food, and usually live music

2006-09-27 9:36 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

I've done Racine twice now, and I'll be making a 3rd showing in 2007. 

The new course design is very fast, and 2006 was a huge improvement over 2005.  I hope that 2007 has the same bike course, as they cut out some very badly maintained sections of road on the bike.

The run is great, it's double out and back.  You do go though the zoo, so you make 4 trips through the zoo during the course of the day.    The support is great, in terms of aid stations.  It passes through a mainly residential area, and lots of locals are out cheering and offering to spray you with their hoses ( which can feel really nice on a hot day! ).

2006-09-27 9:49 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I haven't done Steelhead, but did Racine this year. Liked it a lot and am already registered for next year. I highly recommend Racine.
2006-09-28 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Thanks for all the great comments! I'm still not sure...they both sound good...but i'm going to save the comments!!! Either way, looks like I'll see some BTer's there...
2006-09-28 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
You know, the only fair thing to do would be do them both
2006-09-28 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sassafras,

Have you considered Grand Haven (MI)? We do a HIM (sprint and oly too) in early July - weekend before or after the 4th, can't remember for sure. I didn't participate this year as I already had plans, but heard good things.

Like Racine and Steelhead, the swim is in Lake MI so the same comments apply. Nice bike/run courses with enough hills to keep it interesting.....Perhaps more importantly, Grand Haven is a resort town and a LOT more fun than St. Joe!

2006-09-28 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

All i can comment on is Spirit of Racine...Well organized event.  Lake MI is what it is. Beach/standing start. Bike course was essentially flat..well marked, aid stations, bottle exchanges etc.  Run had a lot of spectators out..and as coredump said..a lot of water/hoses to cool off too (although ill think twice about it next year, and try to keep shoes dry). Plenty of aid stations during the run, well stocked, many volunteers.   The big plus side is if you have kids...The park by the beach and the zoo are great to keep kids interested while you are out on the course.  Ill be there next year too!

JT

2006-09-28 8:47 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i also did racine this year as my first HIM. it was awesome. other than the distance, i didn't have any problems with the course (ha ha). really...if it was closer, i would do it every year. if i do a HIM next year, i'll probably do one closer to home, now that there are a few more in minnesota. maybe racine every other year? just so i can hang out with cindy and mark and the other awesome bt'ers.
2006-09-29 5:05 PM

I did my first tri this year and it was Spirit of Racine. I did the sprint not the HIM, but was impressed with the organization, locale, people etc. I have many of the same sentiments as previous posters and can't say a single negative thing about the experience. I signed up for the HIM in 2007.

I know I'm not comparing it to Steelhead, because I can't, but I wanted to echo some of the positive comments of the others.

Good luck on deciding.
2006-10-05 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago

Just saw this thread looking for another one.  Amazing how many people have done one or the other but not both.  I did my one and only HIM at Steelhead this year.  The only thing I can add is that I was one of the people that mentioned the parking "issue" in my RR, but it is really not that big a deal.  I just didn't want to walk to my car after completing the race but in reality it was probably just what my body needed.

Sounds like they are both really good options.  Steelhead might be a little more hilly but it is really pretty flat compared to most other venues.  I did think it was kind of cool participating in an official Ironman event.  That said, it sounds like you could probably go by which location and date is more convenient for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spirit of racine half vs steelhead 70.3 Rss Feed