General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Logistics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-27 12:35 PM

Boylston, MA
Subject: Race Logistics
So I've never even attended a tri before, and I think I have a pretty good idea of how it all goes down, but I'm just curious about general race logistics. (I'm doing the Danskin in Webster, MA, so if anyone knows specifics about that race from last year I'd love to hear from you ) I know every race is different, but I have to assume there are *some* similarities... Mainly I'm curious about the swim waves... How many people do they usually tend to put in a wave (ALL the people in an age group, or will they split it up if there's too many?) How far apart do they start the waves? My race will have 1300+ participants and probably 200+ in my age group, judging by last year's results. I'm also a little worried about parking for spectators (my parents probably aren't keen on showing up before the race actually starts, especially if I'm not in one of the earlier swim waves), but since that's location-specific, I don't really expect answers on that one

I guess I'm just getting really excited about the race, and I want to be prepared for anything. (Preliminary weather forecasts say no rain!) Hubby thinks I'm over-stimulating myself by reading the boards as much as I am and reading all the articles I can find, but it's just getting me pumped up to go out and do even better.

2004-07-27 1:33 PM
in reply to: #40803

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Race Logistics

Beth - I did Danskin in Denver and we were broken into waves of 100 or so.  It was a good number - the water was wide enough to spread us all out. 

We also had to be there (spectators and participants) by 6:30 am b/c they closed the road.  At first I was peeved that I had to get my 2 y/o out of bed at about 5 am, but after doing the race, I understood the need.  And the "need" was to keep the bike course safe - with no cars or people walking. 

In CO, on Sunday, a guy competing in a tri was struck & killed by a car while he was on his bike.  There was even a cop at the intersection!  That safety is so important, and I think I'll take that into consideration with my future races. 

Good luck in your race!  Hope it is a wonderful experience.  Danskin is a great race for 1st timers (like I was 10 days ago!)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Logistics Rss Feed