General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy from Texas! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-27 11:02 PM

User image

Subject: Howdy from Texas!
I'm shortly to begin training for my first tri ever. It's the Gulfman half-ironman in Galveston, TX 10 Apr 2005. I'm unsure exactly of how to wisely go about training for it, but I've purchased a couple of books to help guide me, and I'm hoping to get advice from anyone with more experience than I currently have. Some other information about me:

I'm from Texas, living in Fort Worth currently. I'm in my last year of medical school, so trying to find time is a little tough sometimes, but I'll work with whatever I've got. I enjoy playing soccer, lifting weights, playing guitar, being outdoors doing just about anything, playing playstation 2 (sometimes), and some other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Well, I think that's about it for now. Let me know if anyone reading this has advice, encouragement, etc...for me. I wish you all the best and safest while you train. Thanks for taking the time to read this. May the joy of the Lord be your delight!

sincerely,
John Drexler

2004-07-28 12:33 PM
in reply to: #41032

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Howdy from Texas!

welcome John!  In addition to your books, check out the homepage of this site - www.beginnertriathlete.com

Consider doing a sprint distance tri this fall, if possible, just to get the experience.  Best of luck!

2004-07-28 5:09 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

theirs a 1/2 im plan on the site...what are your current swim, bike and run levels?

best of luck.

2004-07-28 7:48 PM

Veteran
Washington
Being in medicine myself (PA with a cardiology group), I understand about the time constrants, which in your case will be worse in just about a year... My thought is that most hospitals have a gym that is available to the medical staff (residents, mds) that you can use when you have the time. Makes it much easier to get in a workout! Also, take the stairs!! Saves time and gives you "mini" workouts through out the day. Only problem is trying not to be sweaty and out of breath when talking to patients. By the way, what are you going to do your residency in and where?? Good luck to you!
2004-07-28 9:47 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!
2004-07-31 7:04 PM
in reply to: #41344

User image

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. It's encouraging to see other people here that have busy schedules in medicine. In answer to your question regarding specialty, I was initially planning on cardiology, but have instead settled on general surgery (possibly with trauma fellowship). I know I'm going to be ridiculously busy beginning next year for at least a few years, but then I plan to have a small private practice (after doing trauma for a few years), allowing me, hopefully, to have some time to be at home, should I have a family by then. Also, I would like to have a small practice so I can go on short-term mission trips frequently. We'll see how my planning actually turns out, though!

2004-08-01 1:07 AM

Veteran
Washington

It's hard to fit exercise in, but it is definately worth it! It helps reduce stress and makes it much easier to cope with "everyday life", if there is such a thing in medicine. I can tell a difference when I do and when I don't work out. This just gives me a goal, and of course, something tangible to work towards.

I can understand your thoughts! I have a friend who is in her 3rd year of her surgery residency, and she still doesn't know if she is going to sub-specialize. At first, she wanted her own private, rural practice, then she wanted to do oncology surgery (still an option), and now she is chief on the trauma service, so that has opened a whole other realm of possibilities for her! It changes monthly! But that is part of it! Have to admit that cardiology is okay, but really miss the OR. Next job will be in CVS!!! Can't wait, but cardiology is a good base. Where are you looking at doing your residency??
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Howdy from Texas! Rss Feed