General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giving back to the triathlon community Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-09 8:21 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Giving back to the triathlon community

Many of you are aware of my bike accident in April.  I've been back to training for about 4 months now and everything is going well...no signs of the injuries and I'm getting my fitness and speed back.  my last race of the season will be the 70.3 WC race in Clearwater next month and I hope to PR.  The support that everyone here at BT gave me through my recovery has been awesome.  You might also recall that Daremo (Rick) organized a raffle with lots of great items to raise some to help with my expenses.  I wanted to find a way to show my appreciation and give something back so I've decided to donate part of the funds raised from the raffle to another triathlon related effort that I think is in the same spirit as BT.  I've been listening to a podcast called "Get Your Geek On" since February when I was training for Boston.  If you haven't listened to this podcast then you really should give it a try.  It's basically a guy and girl ("Tri-geek Kahuna" and "Iron Will" and they spend ~45min each week talking about triathlon, their training, doing interviews with other triathletes, coaches, and podcasters, and generally supporting the common triathlete.  They fund the podcast out of their own pocket, although they do take donations and sell a bit of merchandise to help offset operating costs.  They also started a program sponsoring new triathletes where they pay the race registration for a first timer.  People write in and tell their story and they select someone every month or two depending on available funds.  Okay, the point of all this is that I really respect what they are doing to support the triathlon community and I've decided to make a donating on behalf of the BT members...$100 to support the podcast directly and $100 to sponsor a new triathlete.  It's the least I can do  after everything BT has done for me.  For more background or info on the podcast check out these links:

My accident 

The raffle 

Iron Will's Blog - throughth3wall.com

The Kahuna's blog - trigeekdreams.com

2006-10-09 10:06 PM
in reply to: #565060

User image

Master
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Giving back to the triathlon community
How awesome! Congrats on your recovery so far and your desire to give back!!!
2006-10-09 10:58 PM

User image

Master
Denver
People like you help make this the best sport I've ever participated in.
2006-10-10 9:19 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
That rocks Joel!

It is this type spirit and community that I have not seen in any of the other athletic endeavors I've been involved in. It's really quite inspiring and heartwarming!

I think you picked a great thing to give back to and was glad that we had an opportunity to help you out as well.

"What goes around, comes around!" That whole "Pay it Forward" idea.
2006-10-10 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

That's a great idea to donate to their podcasts.  I've been listening to them since they started podcasting.  I listen to their podcasts while running.  Their podcasts are informative and often times very funny and entertaining.

TJ

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giving back to the triathlon community Rss Feed