General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Beginner Swimmer!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-18 12:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Scared Beginner Swimmer!!
Hi everyone, new to BT and to tri's altogether. Run and cycle, but have never swam competitively (Ahh!). Wondering how I go about learning the freestyle without looking totally clueless and irking others using the pool. Should I just follow the plan and teach myself, or should I get an instructor? Also, could someone fill me in on some of the proper etiquette for doing laps? I appreciate all of your help!!!

Braedon

Edited by Braedon23 2006-10-18 12:22 AM

2006-10-18 12:43 AM
in reply to: #571471

Regular
Arlington, TX
Subject: RE: Scared Beginner Swimmer!!
I'm another scared beginner, and looked like a drowning fool when I first started. I got a book called "Total Immersion" and it has helped with improving my form through drills and exercises. I'm getting a little better, but I think it just takes many, many laps.
2006-10-18 8:29 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-18 8:34 AM
in reply to: #571597

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
SweetK - 2006-10-18 9:29 AM

If you were never really a swimmer, I suggest taking a few private lessons to help you develop your strokes. If done wrong, swimming becomes harder than it really is. It should only take a few sessions to be on the right track to a good stroke and therefore make your training more rewarding.

x2 - if you don't know what you are doing in the pool you should seek out some professional advice. As mentioned a few sessions should help your dramatically as well as giving you an idea of common flaws (and how to correct them), some drills to do and an idea of how you are progressing.

Shane
2006-10-18 8:50 AM

Middletown NJ
beginner here too. I posted a few weeks back and received some very helpful tips from many posters. I purchased TI and it has really helped me feel much more comfortable in the pool. After only 1 month I am already swimming longer and with more ease
2006-10-18 8:56 AM

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
To third on the swim lessons thing, may I give you something to think about. A friend of mine told me this when I first got interested in triathlons....this past year. You can work really, really hard at swimming for long periods of time, aka "endurance swimming", but if your not swimming correctly (read: poor technique) you'll be working reall, really hard at swimming incorrectly and actually wasting much of your energy. Swimming is the only sport where you can't watch yourself doing it, unlike running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike in front of a mirror to correct form. So if you don't know that your head is too high in the water or your not twisting your torso enough during the stokes, you'll never know. This will lead to fighting a loosing battle to gain good strong swim endurance.

I would suggest hiring a trainer for one or two lessons, just enough so they can evaluate your body motion when you swim and show you how to correct and improve your stroke. Then read as many good quality swim books as you can find. (I also second the Total Immersion books). Then after about of month or so of solo workouts, get the trainer to re-evaluate your body montion again and check your improvments.

Actually if you just have a friend who is a good swimmer, (or if you can maybe bribe someone at the pool ) to watch you swim and tell you what you are and aren't doing, that can help to. I had to do this since my monetary funds weren't exactly agreeing with my wants and wishes.

2006-10-18 10:06 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Take lessons (individual coach or group).

As for lane etiquette, it really is "be considerate to others swimming with you"

Look for an open lane (first) or someone swimming near your pace if you have to share lanes. In most pools, you'll be able to tell pretty quickly which lanes are "fast" and which are "slow".

When you share a lane, ask or otherwise let the other person(s) know you're joining them. If there are 2 of you, you can either pick a side or swim up on one side and down on the other ("circles"). If there are more than 2, plan on swimming "circles". If you are joining in, ask the other person their preference. If someone joins you, they should be asking you.

If you are in a lane with a much faster swimmer, be aware of where they are during the lap and let them get around you (usually at an end) easily. Sometimes they'll signal you by touching your feet if they're right behind you.

If you stop to rest, move to the corner of the lane (usually where you approach the wall) rather than hang from the middle. It makes it easier for those still swimming. Don't hang from the lane lines in the middle of the pool (former lifeguard) because nobody is expecting you to stop there.

Look up (relatively speaking). You'll want to look more forward rather than straight down at the bottom of the pool so you don't run into someone.

It takes the full lane to do butterfly, breastroke, or elementary backstroke (probably sidestroke too). If you're going to swim these strokes, try to do it during non-peak times. Also be aware of your stroke extending into adjacent lanes. It's no fun getting kicked by a breastroker .

If you share a lane with the same person most of the time, you'll understand their normal workouts. Try to sync up so you aren't doing sprints while your partner is kicking only to switch five minutes later and do kick drills while (s)he is sprinting.

Smile and be friendly, but don't be too chatty (huh?). You'll find the occasional person who hates to share a lane, but mostly people are there for a workout. Save socializing for when you're out of the pool.
2006-10-18 10:22 AM

Plymouth, MN

Edited by usasportstraining 2006-10-18 10:25 AM
2006-10-18 10:54 AM

Regular
Rhode Island
A masters swim program might also work for you. See if you can find one in your area, drop in a few times and see if it'll work out.

http://www.usms.org/lmsc/

I joined one and I really like the results, even better than Total Immersion.
2006-10-18 11:25 AM

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
I'll throw out another recommendation for lessons. It's a lot easier to learn it the right way the first time, rather than struggle, learn bad habits and have to work 10x as hard to break those habits and learn to swim correctly.
2006-10-18 12:30 PM

Expert
Houston, TX
I will agree with everyone and offer a little advise. It is going to be hard! I started racing late this season and had about 2 months to learn to swim correctly when I decided to do my first tri. I had my wife (former competitive collegiate swimmer, now triathlete) help me in the pool to learn proper form and I was amazed at how hard it was at first. I could not swim 50 meters without rolling over on my back at first. Be prepared for that. Just keep plugging away at it and I promise, it will get easier. I have not been in the pool in a few weeks but the last time I was I was swimming 800 pretty easily without stopping.

2006-10-18 2:48 PM

Veteran
Kalispell MT
I will cast another vote for the lessons.  That is what I did and I learned a lot.  I had semi private lessons.  Then I moved on to master lap swim since my swim instructor also was the masters coach.  I was in my first swim competition at 35!  I came in last but that was okay, the woman that beat me was wearing fins.
2006-10-18 7:48 PM

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
I also recommend the Total Immersion book and DVD.
2006-10-18 7:52 PM
in reply to: #571994

Regular
Studio City
I agree...swim lessons are the way to go. Good form & technique are key.

You go girl!! You finished and that's all that counts!
2006-10-18 8:00 PM
in reply to: #572298

Veteran
Take swimming lessons. Practice drills, drills, drills and more drills. It takes lots of time and practice to Master swimming. I am still a beginner. I have good days and bad days. You can do anything you want to do!!!!!!
2006-10-18 8:00 PM

Veteran
Thank you to everyone for your great advice, it's nice to know that this site has a good core of people. McFuzz, your lane etiquette info was invaluable, I probably would have gotten beaten up if it weren't for it!!!

Corey

2006-10-18 8:59 PM

Master
piece o heaven
Jump in and get WET! Total Immersion and lessons will get you a good base, but nothing subs for actual pool time. I knew how to swim from classes when I was 12 but never really did anything but swim to the raft in the lake. I learned from others, TI and just worked through alot of kinks. My wife was probably my best asset, she swam with lessons and and helped train me.
2006-10-18 10:21 PM

New user

Las Vegas, NV

Don't forget to swim in an environment that is akin to what you'll be racing in, i.e. lake, ocean, etc. You don't want any surprises on race day!

All the wonderful technical training in the world won't matter if you panic in the open water.

Have fun with it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Beginner Swimmer!! Rss Feed