General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow swimmer question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-31 3:01 AM

Subject: Slow swimmer question
Finally a swimming breakthrough! Went swimming in open water for the first time to practice, and mananged to swim a whole mile! My enthusiasm was somewhat watered down from the butt-ugly slowness of doing it: around 44 minutes. Questions: How fast do most people do a mile swim in open water? Will I be last out of the water in my first olympic distance race (Pumpkinman in Las Vegas in Oct)?
Thanks everyone.

2004-07-31 4:23 AM
in reply to: #42115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Slow swimmer question
First off: October is a long ways away!! Congrats on even being able to complete the mile swim already!!!

Work on that speed and, more importantly, your technique and you'll see the minutes fall off! Remember that during the race you'll be pumped up by the many competitors, and you can't replicate that type of adrenaline in a practice swim, and some of that will pull you to a faster time. And if this is a tri with a hand full of beginners, I think you'll be just fine.

Don't sweat it, just keep on at it! Check back in September, it will be interesting to see your progress!!!
2004-07-31 4:50 AM

User image

Whidbey Island Washington
Great job on the mile!!! Exactly what Jasmine said, you will keep getting faster. Just keep working on your form and everything will come by Oct. Good luck.

Rob
2004-07-31 9:06 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Well, I don't know what official times are like, but in my world a 44-minute open-water mile swim is not THAT slow. I do about a 35-minute mile in non-race situations. And, while I haven't done this lately, pre-shoulder injury I would do 2 mile swims pretty frequently -and my second mile was almost always about 45 minutes.

And, when I finally actually DID a triathlon, the swim turned out to be my best event.

So, just keep swimming... just keep swimming...... (it's a quote from the movie Finding Nemo.) We become efficient at what we practice. Or that's what I tell myself, anyway.

Andrea
2004-07-31 10:22 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
If you want to pick up some speed you can do some sprint work during your workouts. Don't sacrifice technique in an attempt to go faster. You will develop speed the more you swim. Keep practicing the open water swims and you will see some improvement as you do more of them.

Mike
2004-07-31 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
That is great! Just keep going the way you are, practice your technique. Keep up the good work.

2004-07-31 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
That doesn't seem so slow to me. I did a 1/2 IM (1.2 mi) in 48 minutes once and 40 minutes another time. My main concern is coming out of the water feeling good. If I swim hard and gain 2-3 minutes it will probably be lost on the bike. I don't worry about other people's swim times. I have been swimming for about a year and bet that the majority of the participants have been doing this a lot longer.

Good luck and hope your times improve.
2004-07-31 12:09 PM

I just looked at the who's racing list for the tri I signed up for and I am the only female who signed up for beginner, olympic. And you are worried about being last one out of the water!! It takes me an hour in the pool to swim a mile. Maybe I can just lasso a toe and hang on!!
2004-07-31 12:09 PM

I just looked at the who's racing list for the tri I signed up for and I am the only female who signed up for beginner, olympic. And you are worried about being last one out of the water!! It takes me an hour in the pool to swim a mile. Maybe I can just lasso a toe and hang on!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slow swimmer question Rss Feed