General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM - Gotta Lose - Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-26 9:33 PM

Subject: IM - Gotta Lose - Advice
Hi everyone,

Just started training for IM this week. My first ever IM (have done 2 x 1/2 IM before). My target race is February 24 2007 in Langkawi Malaysia. Supposed to be one of the hottest IM races on the planet....

Ironically, started specific training (swimming, biking) this week (have been doing basework all year), but can't run due to a sudden flareup of plantar fascitis... brought on by 2 half hour runs last week (after not running for about 2 weeks due to other commitments), combined with many hours of wearing high heels and not stretching, and spinning classes (I teach a few classes a week), and running when I was too upset about something to focus on technique... stupip stupid me, for not realising... will treat it gently for a few days and am sure will be fine.

Anyway, with only 4 months to go, I currently weigh 156 lbs as of this morning and need to get down to my target of about 140 (though ideally a little less would be great - about 132 is according to height weight charts - but that may be too low) as soon as possible (I don't want to be lugging any extra weight on that long long course) - or at least in the next two months - cause I can't diet in the final two months because of the effect on training / performance (btw I usually don't lose weight while training - and will have to make special effort to get this off)...

Any encouragement? What did you do that worked? Fast but healthy?? Am trying to stick around 2000 - 2500 calories a day (maximum about 3000 on a long ride day - currently up to about 5 hr rides on Sundays) and the less refined carbs - and eating 3 meals and 2 - 3 snacks. Trying not to let myself get hungry. Training volume is about 12 - 15 hrs a week.

Thanks & Good Training

Sally

2006-10-26 11:19 PM
in reply to: #580597

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: IM - Gotta Lose - Advice

Ignore your weight.

Eat right, eat enough to support your training load.  Your body will do what it needs to and your body composition will come around.

You're more likely to hamper your training buildup by shortchanging your nutrition trying to cut weight than you are to help it.

Is your goal to complete the IM or to weigh 140?

I would read this, and take it to heart:

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/nutrition_body_composition/epic_eating.html 

2006-10-27 8:08 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I didn't actively try to lose weight and the lbs jsut came off during my IM training. I was actually surprised becuase I was eating like a horse!  I think that the increased volume and spending more time being aerboic help me lose weight.  If you try to lose weight by cutting back on calories it's really going to compromise your workouts, which is what you don't want.  Don't be afraid to eat- you're going to need a lot of cals during the building phase.  Instead of seeing food as just food, think of it as fuel for your body.  Try to eat smart and balanced and the weight should come off.  Good luck!
2006-10-27 8:32 AM

User image

Giver

Purposefully trying to lose 10% of your body weight in 3+ months while training for an IM is just a bad idea. You'll end up overly-restricting your caloric intake which will lead to excessive fatigue and inability to complete long training sessions. Also, training while excessively fatigued can cause issues with your form (especially important in running), which could easily lead to injury.

Just train, eat smart and you'll be fine. Good luck!

2006-10-28 12:00 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your comments. You all confirmed what I should have known (well don't really want to admit)! Dieting and long distance training is incompatible...

Am going to focus on eating healthy and not letting myself get hungry and will see where it all goes...

Am really excited to be starting this journey to IM. I've gotta do this right and set myself up t succeed and do the best I am capable of..

Have a great weekend.

Sally

2006-10-30 12:06 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Good luck Sally

I am in a similiar situation wanting to lose excess weight while training for IM but follow the previous advice and if you haven't read the link coredump sent from Gordo. Very informative and useful. Best of luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM - Gotta Lose - Advice Rss Feed