General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Allez as a first bike?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Specialized Allez as a first bike??
OptionResults
Yes/Yes..its a good sprint bike and will hold up.13 Votes - [92.86%]
Yes/No..its a good sprint bike but wont hold up.0 Votes - [0%]
No/Yes..its not a good sprint bike but will hold up.0 Votes - [0%]
No/No..its not a good sprint bike and wont hold up.1 Votes - [7.14%]
dude....why are you asking us??0 Votes - [0%]

2006-11-02 12:12 PM

User image

brooklyn new york
Subject: Specialized Allez as a first bike??
Hey guys and gals...im going to start doing biathlon sprints this year and i have to get in shape. first off, im 279lbs. right now but i plan on working on that. First question, would the frame on the Allez (basic) be able to handle what my body gives it? Question two, It has a sora front derailleur and i wanted to know if the components will hold oup on sprints and stuff like that. i dont think i can do much more than that in the next couple of years so betting a tri bike is out of the question right now.

So...basically..is this a good bike for sprints and will it be able to hold up to my pouding??

thanks!

FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, fully manipulated tubing, compact road design, integrated headset, hourglass speedstays

REAR SHOCK N/A

FORK Specialized carbon fork, carbon fiber legs, aluminum steerer

HEADSET Specialized Mindset, 1 1/8" integrated threadless, sealed bearings, alloy 20mm cone w/ one 10mm and two 5mm alloy spacers

STEM Specialized Sport, 3D forged alloy, 31.8mm split clamp, 7 degree

HANDLEBARS Specialized Comp, 6061 alloy, short-reach drop, 31.8mm

TAPE/GRIPS Body Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/ 2.5mm gel padding

FRONT BRAKE Dual pivot, forged alloy w/ cartridge multi-condition pads

REAR BRAKE Dual pivot, forged alloy w/ cartridge multi-condition pads

BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Sora, 8-speed STI, flight deck compatible

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Sora, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Tiagra, short cage

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Sora, 8-speed STI, flight deck compatible

CASSETTE FREEWHEEL SRAM PG-850, 8-speed 12-26t

CHAIN Shimano HG50, 8-speed

CRANKSET Sugino Comp, five arm, polished arms

CHAINRINGS 53x39t

BOTTOM BRACKET Sport cartridge, square taper, 68 x 110mm

PEDALS Composite body, alloy cage w/ toe clips and straps

RIMS Jalco GX460, alloy triple wall, machined sidewalls w/ indicator grooves

FRONT HUB Specialized forged alloy, 24 hole, double sealed ball bearings, straight pull spokes, QR

REAR HUB Specialized forged alloy, 28 hole, double sealed ball bearings, straight pull spokes, cassette, QR

SPOKES Stainless 14g, straight-pull

FRONT TIRE Specialized Mondo, 700x23C, wire bead, 60TPI

REAR TIRE Specialized Mondo, 700x23C, wire bead, 60TPI

TUBES Specialized standard presta tube

SADDLE Specialized Comp Road, full padding

SEAT POST Specialized carbon fiber, 27.2mm

SEAT BINDER Specialized CNC, alloy

(BIKE.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
BIKE.JPG (55KB - 22 downloads)

2006-11-02 12:51 PM
in reply to: #586725

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Specialized Allez as a first bike??
Um, no problem on the bike, it will be an excelent bike for your needs.
2006-11-02 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
I used an allez for my first triathlon season in which I did 2 sprints a half iron and a full iron, and I never had a problem with anything. I have now bought a tri-bike but I still plan on using the allez as a road bike in the off season.
2006-11-02 2:36 PM
in reply to: #586900

User image

brooklyn new york
browner6 - 2006-11-02 2:53 PM

I used an allez for my first triathlon season in which I did 2 sprints a half iron and a full iron, and I never had a problem with anything. I have now bought a tri-bike but I still plan on using the allez as a road bike in the off season.

did you get the Allez Elite with the 105 components or the regular Allez with the Sora/Tiagra?? thats awesome..i really like this bike and i hope that it will suit my needs. seems like it will..
2006-11-02 5:40 PM

User image

Bryan,
I just completed my first triathlon season. Did a sprint, olympic and just completed my first HIM. I have the 06 Allez Sport. I can tell you that I was holding my own with my bike against some more expensive bikes. My bike came equipped with 105 and tiegra. If you put the time in the saddle the bike will take care of you. I read that the tires would be a problem with someone your weight. For me the bike was an excellent investment. hope that helps some.
2006-11-02 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
No it was just a regular Allez, it is a really good bike for the cash that you put down on it. You won't believe how many people who had 5000$ dollar bikes that I beat in those races. Go for the Allez, you will enjoy it.

2006-11-08 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
If you can afford to do so and if the bike shop will work with you you should consider upgrading the wheels. Also perhaps the saddle for comfort.

Frankly I'm not acquinted with that brand of rims. The wheels is one place that bicycle manufacturing companies cut corners.

The rest of the bike should be fine as an entry level bike.
2006-11-08 3:02 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas

I have a specialized allez sport.  I think it's a 2002.  It's a great first bike.  However, I would try to go up one level from the bike you posted to one that doesn't have sora components.  You'll find that you may have a hard time shifting properly, particularly on the big ring up front, and may have multiple experiences of dropping your chain.  It's worth the extra $100-200 or whatever it is to get a little bit better derailleurs. 

I wish I had spent a little more on my first bike and gotten one that was all 105.  My front derailleur is tiagra and I've had several experiences of the chain coming off.  One in particular was a race and it cost me 2nd place in my age group.  That was a tough one to get over.

That's just my advice.  Good luck and have a great time!

2006-11-08 3:22 PM

I'd jump up one level, and get away from the Sora shifters. The problem with these is that you wont be able to upshift on your cassette if your hands are on the drops. With the Tiagra or above shifters, you can shift from the drops or the hoods.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Allez as a first bike?? Rss Feed