General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated Disc & Sciatica anyone?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-06 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Herniated Disc & Sciatica anyone??
As a result of a herniated disc, I have been having MAJOR pain in my leg...most likely sciatica (the back pain is mostly gone).  The disc issue started about mid- August, and the leg pain mid/late- September.    I've been to PT and recently started seeing a chiropractor (only been once) but if anyone has had this, what helped you and how long till you recovered?  I'm taking multiple kinds of meds and not much seems to be helping...even my sleep is suffering.  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm tired of complaining and I'm dying to get back to training full time...

THANKS!!!

2006-11-06 5:10 PM
in reply to: #590626

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Herniated Disc & Sciatica anyone??
I had a herniated disc but on my neck (C6-C7) I've been out of commision for months, pretty much since march
I feel your pain. I had surgery on 7/28, laminectomy with bone graft and fusion.
I was fully discharge today... Woooo!
In my case, the disc was intefering with the spine, so pretty much I had no alternative but to operate.
Sooo... I am back feeling great!
I'll start running today, baby steps
Mary
2006-11-06 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Bottom line, get a solid diagnosis.  Is it herniated, bulging, or ruptured?  Is it sciatica, or other nerological stuff?  Without a firm diagnosis, it's guesswork as to what the right treatment and recovery time might be.

For one example, you can see my post in the 'cervical fusion surgery' thread....

2006-11-06 11:39 PM
in reply to: #590920

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
rkreuser - 2006-11-06 8:12 PM

For one example, you can see my post in the 'cervical fusion surgery' thread....

Ditto.

Mine needed surgery, b/c I was experiencing nearly total loss of function in my S1 nerve. Right leg was fairly useless. It could bear weight, but i had to slide/shuffle it forward, and couldn't walk up stairs...not b/c of pain, but b/c it just stopped working. Granted, that's an unusual end result, but it was what let me to surgery instead of continued conservative treatment.
2006-11-14 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Thanks for the feedback!  I have had a spine doctor diagnose my problem after getting an MRI:  I have a slight bulge in my lowest disc, I last saw the Dr. on 9/15-ish.  Since then I've done PT and more recently seen a chiropractor and nothing has helped yet..in fact it's gotten a lot worse.  Much of the pain now is in my leg and my PT said that the disc is most likely pinching my siatic nerve. 

So this morning my chiropractor told me that she didn't think she could help me anymore and reccomended I go back to the spine doctor.  After he diagnosed me in September, he said cortizone injections might be a possibility.  Has anyone had any relief after having this?  I've read that it's really just a temporary fix.  I'm not too thrilled on the idea of surgery since I didn't think the disc buldge was too severe.  But this has been going on for 3 months now and I'm getting frustrated!  Help!  Any other suggestions would be great!!!   

2006-11-14 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
I treat a lot of patients with spine pain from disc related problems. You might want to see if there are any McKenzie certified therapists (PT's) in your area. It's a more structured/mechanical approach to treating spinal problems. Depending on who might be giving you injections; that MD may know of an appropriate therapist for you. I've had many patients get relief from injections; usually in conjunction with therapy. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

2006-11-16 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WHat SUe Said....the literature supports that 80% of people get better without surgery.  The epidural seroids with the PT is something to try before jumping in and having surgery.  THings could have changed since your MRI if you are having leg pain.  Usually the leg pain is worse than the back pain.  The surgery is really to alleviate the leg pain.  Good luck
2006-11-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #598825

Master
portland, or
I went through two years of "conservative" treatments for three herniated disks. In the end I was like AdventureBear, I had lost most of the use of my right leg. Hip flexors simply wouldn't fire. I had constant pain down the back of both legs, and I would get "jolts" in my quads that felt like I was being electrocuted.

A discogram (or was it discograph? freaking painful is all I know) verified that the three disks were causing the problems and I ended up having fusion from L3 to S2. After completing PT (I still do all of the excercises and more, but on my own) in Sept, all of the previous problems are ~95% resolved.

I'm confident enough in the recovery that I signed up for IMF for next year.

Good luck. I know all to well how frustrating this can be.

scott
2006-11-18 9:21 AM

accupuncure 2 or 3 xs a week +chiro+pt helped me i have a herniated disc. heat helps under the leg at night. i had this last year took about 3 months to fully go away. I know how u feel, feels like its never going to go away, but it will. celebrex helped me - its an anti-inflamatory. try accupuncture for the pain. like lance says pain is temporary. good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Herniated Disc & Sciatica anyone?? Rss Feed