General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I reek of ammonia Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-07 11:39 AM

User image

Valdosta, Ga
Subject: I reek of ammonia

Ok odd situation. I maintain a very low carb diet. I actually have started to eat alot more carbs than I used to but mainly in the form of very whole grain/ high fiber. But recently within the last 6 weeks I have almost doubled my run times and distance.

Now starting about 2 weeks ago I noticed when I got back from my runs I would smell ammonia strongly. At first I thought my wife was cleaning stuff with it but after a few times I realized it was me. My sweat smells very strongly of ammonia. 

After a search on the net I found out that when the body breaks down protein it of course frees up a nitrogen atom which then converts to ammonia which your body wastes through your sweat to remove. Due to my diet my body is breaking down protein to create energy. Is there any way to know if it is breaking down the excess protein in my diet or breaking down my muscles? 

I also read that lack of water makes the smell stronger. I do not drink enough water and I know that. I am working on that now but it only dilutes the smell it doesn't stop the underlying cause that my body is using protein for energy. I am concerned that I am losing body muscle but of course my scales haven't changed in over two months.

Any ideas? 

2006-11-07 11:48 AM
in reply to: #591535

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: RE: I reek of ammonia

I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago.  Have you seen this article? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326  It has some helpful information.

2006-11-07 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Why do you maintain a low carb diet?

You're not burning the protein you eat, you're burning muscles.

You need to consume carbs, they are not your enemy.  You don't improve your car's gas mileage by putting less fuel in the tank.  You just run out of fuel sooner.

Read the 'Nutrition Tips' section here: 

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/index.html

2006-11-07 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Restricting your carb intake in order to lose weight and training for triathlon don't mix well. Your body is going to burn something when you exercise and if it doesn't have the fuel it needs from carbohydrates, it'll go for the next available thing which is protein from your muscles.

You could actually be decreasing your lean mass by doing this.

Fruits and vegetables are essential for training and won't hinder weight loss. They're high nutrient/low calorie which is exactly what you want. Even the guy wrote the South Beach Diet book recommends against athletes following a low carb/no carb  diet. 

2006-11-07 9:39 PM

User image

Valdosta, Ga
I eat fruits and veggies, just no starch. Plus I don't get much variety so I usually get around 100g carbs a day I guess.
2007-01-03 12:18 PM

I worry about this excessive ammonia smell. I would guess with you doubling your distances you would certainly need carbohydrates especially if you are in the 1.5+ hour range on the run and bike. Carbs are very efficiently used and are what the muscles and brain prefer. You can estimate what you are burning and take in at least that much plus eat within 1/2 hour of finishing (your metabolic rate remains elevated) and not gain weight, if that is your concern. I agree you may be catabolizing your own muscles rather than ingested protein (I can't tell you why, but I've heard this.) Also, excess protein is hard on the kidneys and you've admitted you don't drink enough. Yikes! Drink more and back off the excess protein. What is it supposed to do, anyway?

2007-01-03 12:28 PM
in reply to: #592337

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Reidchj - 2006-11-07 10:39 PM I eat fruits and veggies, just no starch. Plus I don't get much variety so I usually get around 100g carbs a day I guess.

That's it! on long training days I do that in supplements!  An athlete doing endurance training should consume carbs in the order of 6g-10g/kg or 2.7g-4.5g/lb per day. 

Definitely focus on shifting your intake around before you start hurting yourself

Read this: www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

Just noticed this is from November originally, how are you doing with your intake these days?

Edited by DRM 2007-01-03 12:29 PM
2007-01-04 3:42 PM

I'm a senior microbiology major and I've taken quite a bit of chemistry and biochemistry classes in my 3 1/2 years at school, and we actually talked about this problem last year in biochem 2! The ammonia smell is likely due to your low-carb diet. Because you're not taking in alot of carbohydrates, your body is going to proteins and fats for energy. The biochemical pathway of this conversion causes there to be alot of ketones in your body (that can be converted into energy, I believe), and these ketones can cause you (your breath and sweat, etc.) to smell funny! We learned that it is a problem found in Atkins diet people and that is really a sign that your body is in a quasi-starvation mode. If you want more info, you could try to look up some stuff about the Atkins diet, or let me know and I'll go back and look a my old notes on this subject to see if I can come up with anything else for you. I hope this was helpful/what you're looking for!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I reek of ammonia Rss Feed