General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ocean swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-05 1:46 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: ocean swimming?
I'm fortunate enough to live about 20 minutes from the beach. I've not started swimming much yet, but when I do, would BTers recommend a lot of ocean swimming to work on open water stuff, or are pools better suited to the beginner?

Thanks!

2004-08-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: #44080

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Subject: RE: ocean swimming?
Hey Madeye! I actually live very close to the ocean as well. I have practiced in the pools until I know I'm able to swim about 1500m... Ocean swimming is very hard... and takes some getting used to. DEFINATELY needed before your Tri though!!!!

Good luck!!

2004-08-05 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Couple of tips on ocean swimming 1) take somebody with you 2) take somebody with you. When doing ocean swims (I'm in the Atlantic) you have to get out passed the breakers before you can even begin your swim. This can be difficult and a little nerve racking because sometimes you have to get a ways out before you get to that point. Easily the best time to swim is 7am because the current/chop usually hasnt picked up yet. Try to find other groups of swimmers in your area in my area the lifeguards have a swim workout every saturday morning that you can get into I've never done this as there are tri guys who do a similar swim that I go with. Who better to swim with than lifeguards I've had fish swim into me that immediately spikes a "Shark!" response in my heart and at least once per swim you will have a feeling like you are swimming out to sea or the current is taking you there. I've gone out a couple of times on my own but thats the worst experience as long as theres at least one other person you'll be fine and let the lifeguards (assuming there are some) know what you're doing so they can keep an eye on you.
2004-08-05 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I gained a whole new respect for people who swim in the ocean a few weeks ago.  My family took our annual vacation to South Padre Island, which is the island at the southernmost tip of Texas.  The beach there is the Gulf of Mexico, and the waves are generally fairly tame compared to other places I have seen on the Pacific.  I tried swimming some and found it very difficult!  On days when the surf was up, getting through the breakers was very hard.  Then, when you finally got past them, you could be 100 meters down the beach due to the undertow current.  OK, so that sucks and it would make it extremely hard (in my mind) to compete in a tri that has an ocean swim, but what really sucks is the fact that you are swimming in salt water and getting a taste of that now and then will make your mouth super-parched and that's no good.
2004-08-06 3:07 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
God forbid you swallow some of that crap My plan is to swim in the pool three days a week and swim in the ocean one day a week with the local tri club. I may be using it as an excuse to get a wetsuit
2004-08-06 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Man I would say to get as much open water swimming as you can, and in as many different conditions as possible, specificly weather conditions like wind, causing chop, waves etc.... It will help cover the bases come race On my first tri there was a very stiff wind and lots of waves, swallowed alot of water that day!

Edited by roxx 2004-08-06 4:50 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ocean swimming? Rss Feed