United States
Baldwinsville Kiwanis Club
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got there with about half an hour to spare. Thank goodness because the registration area was a catastrophe! I had to run back and forth between tables b/c people didn't know where to send me. They ran out of number so I had to wait around until they found one for me. I made it to the start line with plenty of time, though.
Event warmup:

Just bounced around a bit trying to keep warm. It was a lovely sunny day but before I started moving I was a bit chilly.
Run
  • 49m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was badly organized but still really enjoyable. 10K is a great distance b/c you don't have to really train for it if you've got a nice running base. I didn't think of this as an A race, but ended up getting a PR! That's because I had some motivation in the form of people I wanted to BEAT!
At the registration table I ran into some friends from college.... and an ex-friend from college. Long story short, this girl whom I had swam with for YEARS and was very close to started dating my exboyfriend and completed stopped talking to me. It's the weirdest thing b/c I couldn't care less, and the ex and I have a good relationship, but she never has returned any of my calls and at every swim team alumni event she completely ignores me. Whatever. The point is beating her would be totally satisfying.
I spotted her at the starting line, and within the first quarter mile I had her smoked. Hmmm... not so satisfying. So then I had to find someone else to focus on. Sure enough, my friend Val crept up on me and had a 5 yard or so lead for about 1.5 miles. I settled in to a pace just a little faster than she was at to pass her, and held the pace. Next target was this really interesting looking guy that had immaculate dreads pulled back in a pony tail and his entire right calf tattooed. I thought he was hot in an unusual way. So I tried to stay with him for as lnog as I could but he pulled away by about mile 3. At least I got to enjoy the sight of his very tight booty bouncing up and down in front of me for a mile or so. Ha!
I found this tiiiiiny tiny woman to stay with. She couldn't have been taller than five feet, and her legs weren't thicker than my arms! From behind she looked like a fifth grade but I saw her face and she was probably early 30s. She had a perfect pace for me to follow and I stayed about ten feet behind her for quite awhile. I tried to just focus on keeping my cadence up. With about a mile to go I pulled ahead of her but only by thiissssmuch. As the run looped around the back of the high school I really picked up the pace and sprinted at the end, but she caught me in the finishing chute. I just laughed as she passed me, b/c I didn't mind one bit since she was a great pacer for me and she was ahead of me almost the entire race. I gave her a high five at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more before the race. Two of the three water stations didn't have ANY water left by the time I got there. I don't know what they were thinking having just one person with one foldable table for a water station. Duh. I felt a bit dehydrated for the second half. But besides that I was very happy with my performance. Boo-yah!
Post race
Warm down:

I finally got to meet rstocks3! So that was really cool since I've been following his training for awhile (holla at Bob for saying what's up and shooting the shit with me for awhile afterwards!!). It was my first BT meeting! I wish there were more triathletes in the area, just so I could be my tri-dork self more often. We were talking about our respective Christmas list at Thanksgiving and everyone's eyes started to cloud over when I listed mine b/c it's alll tri gear. Haha. But I digress!
So after hanging out and takling for awhile I headed home and stretched out for a really long time and did a new yoga dvd b/c my hip already was starting to pinch and feel tight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Water at the water tables would have been nice. Besides that, conditions were perfecto!

Event comments:

Even though it deserves just an "average" rating, I woudl totally do this race again b/c it's a great distance and an awesome way to start a Thanksgiving Day. I really enjoyed it. Gobble gobble!

Last updated: 2006-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:26 | 06.2 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Headed out from Baldwinsville High School. Most of the run was on long country roads. Back back around to finish at the HS. There were a few mild hills. I thought the course was great.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-11-24 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: 38th Annual Turkey Day Races

2006-11-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: #607849

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: 38th Annual Turkey Day Races
Sounds like a great race.

I always resort to the "Road Kill" method of pacing the end of long races and it sounds like you were doing this from about the start line.

Good On Ya
2006-11-26 12:37 PM
in reply to: #607849

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: 38th Annual Turkey Day Races
Great job PR-ing on turkey day! Awesome race and thanks for the funny RR! Way to kick butt!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 38th Annual Turkey Day Races Rss Feed