Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True meaning of Xmas for kids Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-27 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Salt Lake City
Subject: True meaning of Xmas for kids
This year, my wife and I want to teach our kids about Christmas and the true meaning behind it. They're young (6.5, 5yo) and still think it's all about toys but I'd like to teach them with some kind of activity. Does anyone do anything special for Xmas to help their kids. We do sub for santa, 12 days of Xmas every year but I need something bigger, to instill in my kids charity and giving. thanks for any suggestions.

2006-11-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: #609218

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: True meaning of Xmas for kids

Our church is doing something very cool this year: determine how much you spent on Christmas last year, cut it in half and pool the remainder to give to two charitable causes. And it's not just gifts, it's everything like the tree, lights etc.

The project was explained to all the kids in the religious education classes and they then voted on the charities to donate the proceeds to.

2006-11-27 3:24 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

For one, let them know they don't need to abbreviate it as  Xmas.

For two, perhaps volunteering at a soup kitchen serving meals and cleaning up and such.

2006-11-27 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Salt Lake City
mmm. I like that. Are the kids able to go and present the money to the charities? I'd like my kids to see the result of their givings. Now, they just drop off the present and think it's great but if they could see the end result, that would be great!
2006-11-27 3:43 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I haven't done this in years (I really should do it again) but you can find a place-churches and food pantrys are good places to start, to volunteer to deliver Christmas dinners/food/gifts to people who need them.

2006-11-27 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
May be too late but there are a couple of things we do that give our kids "perspective"

1: The "shoebox" - operation Christmas child www.samaritanspurse.org - you shop with your child and make a shoebox for a child of similar age in an under priviledged situation. There is a place in Aurora that will still collect boxes through Dec. 5th.

2: The tree angel - I think these are available in most area's - sometimes in the mall - or grocery store ( King Soupers for example) - basically the angels represent a christmas wish for a family or child - we pick one that is of similar age to our kids and explain the reason for the angel. Then our kid gets to shop for that gift for their angel etc.

Both have provided great learning experiences for our children ( 7 and 5 yr old)

2006-11-27 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
The shoebox/tree where they can shop for other children is great.

Check with your local hospital. There might be some children (similar ages) in long-term recovery who would like a special visitor during the season. (Can you make arrangements for them to visit once or twice a week to read a story and sing a song?) If so, then spend the next 3 weeks doing that and then the fourth week finding some special Christmas gift for that person. The goal is to make that personal connection and realize the joy of making someone else happy. Maybe your children could do something special for the patient's family too.

Is there a neighbor who could use a pair of very small hands (or really, the enthusiasm of a 5-year-old) for some small projects? (Maybe someone with arthritis could use help wrapping presents for their own grandchildren?) Enthusiastic hands to help bake cookies?

Secret Santa? Have them pick someone to secretly leave small gifts (with a way to see the result).

How well do they interact with other children? Go to the library, and have them read stories to other children. (Even if they don't read very well, they can still sit with the book and use their imagination to "read" to a younger child.) If you've never listened to a 5-year-old describe a picture, you've really missed out on one of life's little treasures.

Take a box (or two) of dog treats to an animal shelter/clinic.

Make cranberry or popcorn strings and hang them outside for the resident birds.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True meaning of Xmas for kids Rss Feed