Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What was your best christmas present ever? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-11-30 3:15 PM
in reply to: #612069

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: What was your best christmas present ever?

chicks, man, what a bunch of crybabies... at least share the tissues!

Every year my grandmother bought each of us a book. (8 grandkids) we used to scarmble and dig through all the presents to try and find it and open it first because then we could read it instead of tearing though all the presents and make the day last longer. She died when I was in 9th grade but my mom still gets my brother and me books and says "from gramma"  But she just hands them to us now, probably to protect us from the idgnity of rummaging through stuff at our ages...

2006-11-30 3:18 PM
in reply to: #612314

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

TBZ - 2006-11-30 10:16 AM Once year I got a tether ball AND a bike AND a diary with a little key. That was a rockin Christmas!

OMG!  The first time I read this I thought it read, ..."a tetherball...a bike and a DAIRY with a little key..."  A dairy with a little key would definately be high on my list of favorite gifts.  ;-)

Mooo!

2006-11-30 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Christmas Eve 1995 my wife was about 2months pregnant with our third kid, and I woke up in the middle of the night and found her in the bathroom in some serious distress. We thought that she might have miscarried, but when we got to the Doctor and heard that little heartbeat and found out that everything was OK it was the best moment of my life. Paul is 10 now, healthy as a horse, and he and I are best pals, although I wish I could get him to ride bikes with me more!
2006-11-30 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, the adoption story, the "Daddy's Little Girl", and even the Christmas Baby... you guys are killing me!! So I will add to the "Happy/Sad Stories".

Ok, so not a Christmas present, but the day before my wedding (which was also my shower) my dad's girlfriend popped in to the party and handed me two gifts and then said she had to leave...

The card attached said Love Mum and Dad. My mother had been dead for about 5 years at this point. Inside was the opals that my dad had bought her over all the years he had been in the Navy travelling around the world. I had mentioned to him the year before I would like to wear them on my wedding day and he had told me he had lost them. Instead he had them all set... earrings, a necklace, and a ring and gave them to me as a surprise. Everyone there was BAWLING... I was a mess... but so happy too.

On a cheerier note, my other best gift was my dog... she was my Grade 12 graduation present... promised to me if I graduated with honours and got into univeristy with a scholarship. She is 13 years old now, and still the joy of my life. Pookie.

She is the one on the left...

Edited by irondog 2006-11-30 4:48 PM

(The Girls.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
The Girls.jpg (34KB - 5 downloads)
2006-11-30 6:36 PM
in reply to: #612664

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Oooooooooooooooooooo The opal story is neat.

Possum, pass me the kleenex, please.

Tania, your post also made me weepy. I'm in the process of adopting, and it's looking like next Christmas may be when it happens.... 

2006-11-30 8:07 PM

I like the opal story too. I'm an october baby and so was my grandmother, I wore her floating opals that my grand father gave her for my wedding. she died a few months later but not before seeing her first great granddaughter, my Ophelia. ithink she was holding on for her birth. I love these stories guys.

2006-11-30 8:32 PM

Back in 1993 during our 1st year of marriage (we were quite poor), my wife gave me a homemade coupon book.  It had coupons for sex, massages, mowing the grass, taking out trash, etc. and I could redeem at any time, no questions asked.  It was a great gift and probably the only one I can remember through the years.  A couple of years ago, she asked what I wanted for Christmas.  I said, "you know, I would really like one of those coupon books you gave me at our first Christmas."  Her reply, straight faced without missing a beat, " I really didn't want to spend that much this year."    True story...

2006-11-30 9:10 PM

Champion

Well my best Christmas MEMORY was when my Mom used to give Dad a new pair of pants.  Dad never wanted any new clothing, and the pants would find their way into his dresser drawer, to languish there unworn until the following Christmas.  Whereupon Mom would wrap them up again and give them to Dad.  He'd open them and appear delighted as usual.  Back into the drawer, languish, rewrap...

This went on for as long as I can remember.  Dad never seemed to catch on, or perhaps he did but was just humoring Mom.  It still makes me laugh today.  He's now 83 and she's 80...I wonder if they still go through the ritual.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What was your best christmas present ever? Rss Feed  

of 2