Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 43s
Overall Rank = /2500
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of cereal and drank a Diet Coke for breakfast. Drank water on the way to and at the race.
Event warmup:

Got a good stretch then did some light jogging for about 5 mins.
Run
  • 23m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Got to the race start about ten minutes before start and went towards the back since I'm a relatively slow runner. Once the race started it took me approx 2 minutes to get to the start line which was actually poorly marked. I started my watch at that time. I was still held to a walk due to so many people congested in the area. I ended up following a couple of others onto the sidewalk behind the spectators to get around so many walkers and slow runners. I realize I was probably out of bounds or whatever, but I had to get around somehow and gained no distance advantage by doing this. For the first mile I was constantly weaving in and out of people and up on the sidewalk to get around slower runners. My first mile split was 7:58 I think, which would've been a lot faster had it not been so crowded. The rest of the race was enjoyable and I really tried to push it as hard as I could. Got behind a couple of people with a fast pace and forced myself to keep up with them. Grabbed a sip of water at the water stop but I didn't really need it. Down the final stretch I could see a big inflatable tent up ahead which I assumed was the finish. It was actually only the 3 mile mark and I was almost spent. I just continued my sprint to the finish and was nearly oxygen deprived. It made for a tough finish but probably helped me have a nice time. 23:43 according to my watch is by far a 5K PR for me. I haven't done a 5K in a long time, so I don't actually remember my best time, but I know it was much slower than that.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, ran hard and was completely satisfied with my race.
Post race
Warm down:

Just did some walking and got water. Waited for my sister-in-law and cheered her into the finish. Went home and watched football and ate turkey and drank beer withou guilt!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Large crowd of people.

Event comments:

This was a nice race and apparently has been going on for 39 years or something. Everything was nice and the race started right on time. My only critique would be that the race start was poorly marked and the start could've been seeded better. I got to the start a bit late so went towards the back. Once it started, I spent the first mile just trying to weave around slower runners and walkers. There were walkers way up towards the front of the start. Perhaps some signs seeding racers by their min/mile pace would help alleviate this. Otherwise lots of fun and lots of great volunteers and positive people.

Last updated: 2006-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Good
Course: The course was completely flat. Ran through some downtown streets out near some large body of water (presumably the Atlantic Ocean!), through some neighborhoods, and back downtown for the finish. I'm not at all familiar with Charleston, so that's about the best I can do.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes