General Discussion Race Reports! » The Backyard Burn Trail Series 10 Mile/5 Mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Backyard Burn Trail Series 10 Mile/5 Mile - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
clifton, Virginia
United States
EX2 Adventures
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 24s
Overall Rank = 81/142
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 18/21
Pre-race routine:

It was nice to sorta sleep-in for a race. The race didn't start until 9, so I didn't get up until 6. I'm used to races starting early which made for a nice change. I had a hard time deciding what to wear as it was only 35 degrees and windy. I knew I would warm up but I hate being cold. I ended up taking a bunch of extra clothes just in case. Got to the race sight, checked in and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

I ran about a 1/4 mile and did some stretching. I felt pretty good which was surprising as I've been having problems with tight calves. This trail run is part of a series and it seemed that most people knew each other. It's a small race with 150 or so doing the 5 mile race and 142 doing the 10 mile race. There didn't seem to be a lot of begineers, just a lot of tall thin people. They had every one huddle around a pick up truck while explaning the rules and the course. Then they got everyone pointed in the right direction and started the race.
Run
  • 1h 42m 24s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out kind of tentatively as I've never done a mass start trail run like this. I started near the back and passed a few people on the prologue. The first big down hill was nerve racking because I was in the middle of big group of people going down a hill covered with leaves ending at a stream crossing. Some people were tentative and others just galloped down the hill. I stayed with the pack and came out onto the flat in good shape but soon felt my ITB. Not a good sign this early in the race. I seemed to do well on the hills but got passed a lot on the flats. The first lap finished pretty well but it sucked seeing 1/2 the people get to stop. Starting the second lap my ITB was really starting to hurt and I had no speed on the flats. I did well on the hills because everyone slowed down to either keep their footing or because they couldn't run up the hills. So, I would pass a bunch of people on the hills and then get smoked on the flats. This made for a lot passing and getting passed by the same people. Of course the last 1/4 mile was flat and I got passed by 4 or 5 people. It was fun running that type of course but I was happy to get to the end.
What would you do differently?:

This was definitely a C race as I decided to do the race on Thursday but I was disappointed in the results. I guess I should change my expectations, in that, I need to train specifically for a race, taper and not get hurt in order to do well. I do need to add more intensity to my training.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around, ate some food and talked to a couple of people that I saw on the race course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No experience with trail runs, not a lot of run training since the marathon last month and a hurt ITB. Plus, I'm old and slow.

Event comments:

This event was well run and fun. They do a spring and fall series of races, so they host this same race twice a year. They obviously have a lot of experience and make it a relaxing, fun experience. Very low key and competitive without being annoying. I think I'll try and run all four spring events.

Last updated: 2006-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:24 | 10.3 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 81/142
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was 1/2 mile prologue to get everyone separated and then onto the trails. The prologue was out of the parking area and then down a fire road. The trails were two identical loops with each loop having 3 cloverleafs. Basically, the start/finish line was at the top of bluff overlooking Bull Run, a small river, with each cloverleaf going down to the river, along the river then back up the bluff. This made for three steep climbs on each loop. Unlike a road race, the course included jumps over fallen logs, stream crossings and running through rock fields. Very interesting. They started the 5 mile and 10 mile groups together.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-04 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: The Backyard Burn Trail Series 10 Mile/5 Mile

2006-12-04 7:25 PM
in reply to: #615688

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: The Backyard Burn Trail Series 10 Mile/5 Mile
Hey Ernie! Great report - you really captured all the reasons I LOVE trail running (uneven terrain, being in nature, low-key yet organized, competitive yet friendly, and just overall a good group of folks. Is this the place where they do the Bull Run Run?

I think you did great, I have been told that you can add 1 min/mile to your usual pace to get an idea of trail pace. (sometimes more), so don't be too hard on yourself, ok?

Hope that ITB settles down...you know what to do!
2006-12-05 6:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-05 11:14 AM
in reply to: #615886

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
True trail runs are a definite experience to have once in your running career. I haven't really done one since running x-country in jr. college. I'd be too worried about twisting something now at my ripe old age .......
2006-12-05 6:10 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

well done Ernie,  don't be so hard on yourself. I think  you did really well considering all the factors you mentioned.  only deciding to do the race on thurs and Itb problems and your first trail run.

great report Ernie!

2006-12-05 10:46 PM

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Nice job--don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck with the ITB--take it easy on it for a while.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Backyard Burn Trail Series 10 Mile/5 Mile Rss Feed