General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's panicked on the swim segment? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Who's panicked on the swim segment?
OptionResults
I panicked, didn't finish but tried again2 Votes - [4.35%]
I panicked and finished, but it was close14 Votes - [30.43%]
It wasn't panic, it was more like discomfort23 Votes - [50%]
After x number of races, I'm still nervous3 Votes - [6.52%]
I have nerves of steel.4 Votes - [8.7%]

2004-08-09 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Who's panicked on the swim segment?
Nancy's thread about her experience with panicking on the swim and the responses it generated were just great. In the last few months I've read more than a couple of accounts of new triathletes who freaked out in the water, but overcame their fear and finished. I figured I'd add my own and and start a poll to let those who are going to panic know that it's ok, it's not that unusual and if you do panic, you can continue and finish.

My Panic:
I stayed in the back of the pack, counted to ten at the start and started way too fast. I didn't realize this until I was totally winded maybe 75 to 100 yards out. "You're going to drown" was in my head. I ended up having to hold onto the rope that held the buoys. I truly didn't think I was going to make it and that I'd have to use the rope to get back to shore, or call over a boat after everyone passed me. I recalled a couple of posts from this BBS, calmed down a little and started to kick on my back. I couldn't even use my arms, just kicked until I made it around the buoy. I then rolled over, tried a couple of very slow strokes and they went ok. A couple more and I found a rythm that seemed to work. I finished the swim, and I wasn't even DFL!

So BT'ers, as a service to those who are going to panic: it's time to tell on yourself.

2004-08-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: #45382

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Who's panicked on the swim segment?
I didn't panic, per se, though that's probably due to expecting the worse. It was very uncomfortable and I had a lot of trouble breathing. I knew I'd get through it so I wasn't scared, but I was definitely exhausted getting out of the water.
2004-08-09 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Nervous every time...every time I finish I say ' great, proved everything I want to prove, now I am a duathlete' then I enter the next race and check the 'tri' box...back to the pool

d
2004-08-09 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Reading Marmadaddy's experience was like reading my own...the whole experience, wave of emotions....

Good call on the poll....a great way to let others know that they are not alone!

2004-08-09 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
I was pretty much the same way marmadaddy. Just did my first last Thursday, got about a 100yds in, and realized I had been going way to fast and was spent. Paniced for a moment, wondering if I could make it, then turned to do a little side stoking until I caought my breathe and got my wits abouts me. From that point to the end, it was I tried to focus on form and and going slowly. I actually started counting my stroked, knowing that in a pool 25yd, takes me 25 strokes, focussing on that I think got my mind of not making it, plus it gave me a reference how how far I had went, and how much I had left to go. When I had gotten to shore adn looked at my watch I realized I had only taken about 1 minute longer then I thought I had would have, then proceeded to mash the petals for the first mile of the bike ride because I was so mad about freaking out
2004-08-09 9:51 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

I am not sure if this was a panic attack, but it was definatley a problem that had to be overcome!

I showed up at the event and I was one of 5 not wearing a wet suit. The water temp, I'm told, was below 60. Anyway, I got in the water and couldn't breathe!!! The course was a 1500 meter half oval, but the first 500 meters were into the wind, waves and current. As I couldn't breath doing the crawl (adrenalin, nerves, the cold, the splashing),  I had to settle for the breast stroke (dumb ass never did an open water swim!) About half way through my legs started to cramp (I guess because I hadn't been practicing the breast stroke much), so I basically had to locked my knees and ankles and went through the rest with mostly arms. 

I almost swam for shore, in fact, I had decided to do do that when I realized the bouy was the same distance as the shore.  I thought about it for a second and decided to at least swim around the bouy before I headed to shore.  By the time I got around it, my panic, quiters instinct, had gone and I finished.  But it was close.  I needed that so that I would know the next time I could push through that feeling and be all right. 

2004-08-09 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
DFL.... Are you a hasher?

ONON!

=) Katie
2004-08-09 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
The thrill of finishing the swim is SO worth it. I felt almost as happy after the swim as I did at the end of the race because it was such a huge accomplishment. After going from learning to swim to swimming in a race............ I still can't believe it.

By the way.... Tractoral is a great swimmer, this is really TriBarbie.
2004-08-09 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
I come from a swimming background and feel pretty strong on the swim leg, but during my first tri had a girl with a very powerful stroke who kept running into me. Whenever we collided I would take it easy so as not to injure her, but she just wouldn't let up - kicked me hard enough one time that her timing chip broke the skin on my ankle! Anyhow, it threw me off a little - I was spooked the rest of the swim and went way off course trying to stay away from everyone. Wouldn't say I panicked, but it was not comfortable!!!
2004-08-09 11:41 AM

Versailles, KY
I have mild panic attacks just during practice!! I read tips from an olympic swimmer that said to practice just staying under water for extended period of times each time before you swim. I am trying to do this - but I am preemptively nervous - in my upcoming tri - swimming is last - thankfully it is in a pool - so little chance of actually drowning!! :-O It is a relief to know even experienced triathletes get nervous!!
2004-08-09 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I panicked the first time in murky lake water when I couldn't see. 1/4 mile never seemed so long.

On my last 1/2 IM, I panicked after getting kicked by a backstroker and stuck between him and a breast stroker. I just took it slow and talked myself back into a steady rythym. This was about 2 minutes into the race.

2004-08-09 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
I have done 5 races (only 2 were tris, the others were swim/run) and I finished 3. The first time I got in, I never even started the race and got out. The second time, I swam for about 150m and I swear something touched my foot (not another swimmer, I was so far back....) and that freaked me out and I called for the boat. The third time, I was determined to finish and it took me forever but I wasn't going to get out on the boat. The 4th time, I didn't like it but I did it. My last time, which was a DNF, someone swam over me and I panicked and called for the boat.

I still have a lot of fear. My swim group went on a swim yesterday and it took me forever to just put my face in the water. But I did and managed to swim about 300 yards. We go again in 2 weeks and I have committed to swim at least 400. I just have to keep trying!
2004-08-09 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
I am not a swimmer, but am getting more comfortable in the water. I have a fear of drowning, but feel really safe in my wetsuit. I also have a fear of sharks, mainly because in my wetsuit I swim like a wounded seal. I think could kick my fear of sharks if I stopped watching "Shark Week" every time it comes on TV, but I can't help it. Because of my fear of sharks I limit my open water swims to one or two times a year. Even though I tell myself you have almost as much a chance of getting bitten by a shark if you swim as if you don't swim, it still doesn't help.
During my first open water of the year I was doing fine. The swim started in a harbor then turned and we had a short distance to swim in the DEEP! I was doing fine but noticed something white along my left side. I ignored it at first, then I really started to freak, my breathing got faster and my form was all over the place. I pulled up, took a look...nothing. I kept swimming, swam some more then realized the white creature was back. Was it a little fish or a Great White? I wanted to ignore it. If it was going to get me I didn't want to know about it. But it was killing me knowing that there was something below me. I was breathing every two strokes on my right side, so I changed to every three strokes, that's when I saw it. The Great White shark, was actually the bubbles from my left hand! I laughed, got a whole mouth full of salt water and eventually finished the swim.
I would like to say because of that I am no longer afraid of sharks... but hell no, I'm still only getting in that water one or two times a year!
2004-08-09 2:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-09 7:16 PM

Master
Chicago

MADCOW - DO NOT GO SEE OPEN WATER!!!!

I REPEAT DO NOT GO SEE THE MOVIE OPEN WATER!!!

I have a strong swimming background. Never swam competitively but I'm a relatively good swimmer. But I've always had this fear of open water. I have this fear of vastness really. It ahppens on airplanes as well. And when I think about eternity, forget, I hyperventilate.

Lack of sight, no bottom to touch, fear of wildlife, you name it, they all converge on my brain at once. And I immediately want to swim back to shore. Ask bootygirl. I never would have made it through my first OW swim w/o her. She was kind enough to swim stroke by stroke with me for the 300 meters it took to get to the sandbar in the middle of Chatsfield gravel pond.

No when the fears start I just sing, or just think of something else, and take one stroke at a time and overhype my swim stroke and pretend I'm Phelps winning another gold medal. I tell myself I can't call for a boat. I have to swim it out. I have to swim my way out of here. The faster I do that the faster I get back on land. Once I get my bearings I just plow through like a machine.Coming back is always easier than going forward so I make myself wait it out until I make the buoy turnaround. I stay away from the pack even if it hurts my time because I don't want to get crowded or hurt someone else. The only mantra I repeat in my head is, "The faster I get to that buoy, the faster I'll be back on land." There's no turning back. I never look back. I can stop but I must always go forward. It may take my 100 meters or 500 meters to get my bearings but once I do I'm a blazing machine. Nothing can stop me. Even going off course.

Ovetta

2004-08-09 8:02 PM

Phoenix, Arizona
My first swim segment was part of a relay at the Firecracker Tucson Tri 7/4/04. I was fine until midnight the night before the tri. I woke up in a cold sweat, my heart was beating 300 miles a minute, and I felt like I was going to vomit all over my sleeping beau, Patrick. I must have made at LEAST 10 trips to the bathroom between midnight and the time I got in the water at 6:00 a.m. I was actually in the bathroom until 5 minutes before the swim, didn't do a warm up due to my overactive bowel syndrome, but once I got in the water, I was fine! The runs ran away! (Yes, girls, on occasion do poo). I actually passed a few people and did great. Patrick missed his warm up just to be there poolside to watch me swim and cheer me on before he had to run to his bike transition site and await me. I just hope I don't go through the 11th hour jitters every time! I'll have to buy stock in immodium AD!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's panicked on the swim segment? Rss Feed