General Discussion Triathlon Talk » outside right foot pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-09 5:29 PM

User image

port orchard, wa
Subject: outside right foot pain
i just recently completed the seattle marathon (my first) on nov 26th in 4hr 16 min. I waited a week before I ran again and now after about three miles or a full day of walking around I have pain the on outside, underside of my right foot about three bones back from my pinkie toe. I went to my doctor (who is in the navy) and he had x-rays taken. He said there were no breaks or stress fractures. He suggested that it was probably tendonitis and to try and 'stay off it and don't run'. Is this a correct diagnosis? It feels like I might have bruised the bone or something, but I don't know if that would show up in an x-ray. When can I expect to recover to a level well enough to at least do a 5k with no pain. I have had no other lingering pains from the marathon and have had no trouble with my feet or anything else previously.

2006-12-09 6:21 PM
in reply to: #620161

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: RE: outside right foot pain
FWIW:
A friend of mine who just completed a half marathon has exactly these same symptoms!
Her doc ruled out planter F, sent her for x-rays (all negative), and concluded it is probably tendonitis.
It stinks but still better than PF or a break, hope you feel better soon
2006-12-09 7:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA

Hey, congrats on the marathon!

I'm no runner, but in September I started to build up my running mileage (if you could call it that).  One morning I was walking to class after a run and the outside edge of my right foot started to hurt.  The pain was very off and on, but pretty sharp.  I eventually went to the heath center and the doctor diagnosed it as...you guessed it, tendonitis.

I ended up taking about a month off from running to let it heal, and it still flares up occasionally -- when it does I just stick some ice on it after I run.

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of tendonitis that I know of is just to stay off it and let it heal, but hopefully yours will clear up quickly.  Good luck! 

2006-12-10 3:06 PM

User image

port orchard, wa
thanks for the advice, I guess i'll just have to stop running for a while. Is it still O.K.to bike?
2006-12-11 6:38 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Most stress fractures don't show up on an x-ray until they have already started to heal. You could get a repeat x-ray taken about 2 weeks after the original injury. That's a wierd place to get tendonitis, but there is a major insertion point for one of the muscles around the ankle right at the head of the 5th metatarsal (the bony part about 2/3 back on the outside edge of your foot), making it a common site for fractures of several different types.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » outside right foot pain Rss Feed