General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking on Oahu Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-14 11:02 PM

Subject: Biking on Oahu
I live on Oahu and have decided to enter the Honolulu Tri in May 2007. Unfortunately I have found that biking on the streets of Oahu is almost suicidal. There are few bike lanes and even so, motorists are not biker friendly.

I would prefer not to do all my bike training on a stationary bike nor do I want to restrict all my bike work to off road trails.

Any recommendations???

Thanks in Advance

Steve

2006-12-15 10:39 AM
in reply to: #624668

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Biking on Oahu

Aloha! There are a few of us on BT from Oahu but I'm probably the most active on these board of that group.

You must live in or near Honolulu. I use to live in Nuuanu and I can feel you pain regarding the traffic in town. I use to fight my way to Kapiolani Park because I knew that I could ride from there out to Hawaii Kai and back with a nice bike lane and beautiful views. It was the struggle to get to the park which was sometime heroic in nature due to traffic.

You could always tackle the Tantulus loop! Its a 10 mile loop with 1500ft of gain. IT&B has a 24hr TT there in January. I volunteered for them at their last race and two guys actually rode that 25x! Epic!

Or, you could head over the Pali Hwy (which is quite the climb in itself) and then make the big loop around through Waimanalo, Sandy Beach, Hawaii Kai and then back into town. I use to do that ride about twice a month on the weekend.

Riding toward Pearl City can be done but you'll probably have more frustration than you'd like depending on the time of day. There is always more traffic in that direction and unless you somewhat know the roads you can end up in some very unfriendly situations.

There are 4 of us that live in the Kaneohe/Kailua area and we sometimes meet up for a casual ride on the weekend. As a matter of fact we are going for one tomorrow. Two of the guys are meeting in Kailua and then heading north. They'll meet up with me and the other guy in Kaneohe and then we'll all ride north along the coast until we get or requisite time halfway point met. Some of us are only doing z1-2 work while one is doing the HIM plan and one more is training for IMAZ so he'll usuall break loose for some intervals. You're more than welcome to join us if interested.

I hope I've offered some help. Yes, the motorists on Oahu aren't usually biker friendly. But there are routes that offer a good workout along with splendid island beauty along the way. Cya out there!

2006-12-20 8:30 PM
in reply to: #624668

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Biking on Oahu
I wasn't into tri when I lived out there (ironic isn't it?), but I can imagine that riding on Oahu would be rather treacherous. Do you guys ever ride up the back side of the North Shore around the Polynesian Cultural Center? That seems like it would be a decent place to ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking on Oahu Rss Feed